• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Yep, this. Any FFL can do it. MDSP charge $10, your FFL will charge you 3X that or more. But, might be a more pleasant experience; although I find the Troopers to be quite friendly and very professional. They have better things to do, but didn't seem to mind helping me on occasion.

yeah I did a transfer at a MSP barracks and the officer didn't seem to care. He seemed unimpressed and inattentive but, courteous and polite just the same.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    If you go the MSP route- below is my recommendation on how to go about it.
    They will do a warrant check on the parties involved- so (ya ya your selling/buying a gun) I'd pass if that could be a problem.

When you get to the barracks- leave the handgun in the car. The trooper will come out to the car to verify the serial number.

When I've done it- I choose to secure it in a lock box, and I explain I'm going to put the key in the box and let the trooper open/handle the firearm.

Obviously- make sure that is nothing else in your vehicle that can get you additional unwanted attention..... and your firearm is unloaded...

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    They will do a warrant check on the parties involved- so (ya ya your selling/buying a gun) I'd pass if that could be a problem.

When you get to the barracks- leave the handgun in the car. The trooper will come out to the car to verify the serial number.

When I've done it- I choose to secure it in a lock box, and I explain I'm going to put the key in the box and let the trooper open/handle the firearm.

Obviously- make sure that is nothing else in your vehicle that can get you additional unwanted attention..... and your firearm is unloaded...

Good advice and when I did mine at the barracks the trooper also told me next time to put it in the trunk. Don't bring any ammo. Remember that over 10 round mags still cannot be transferred even like this so if your mag is over 10 rounds do the transfer for them out of state and don't bring the mag with you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With an MSP Barrack transfer , the buyer and sell will need to meet in person a minimum of twice. Depending on your locations and schedules this may or may not be a factor.

With an FFL transfer seller only needs to physically be there once , and need not even be at same time as buyer ( if you've otherwise arrianged paymet).

Expense vs convience, your circumstances may vary.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

Also, bring a check!!!!. Cash and credit cards are no good.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Because they don't trust the cash to actually get where it is supposed to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom