• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Anyone here have experience with CLEO sign off in Alexandria, VA? I want to buy my first suppressor in January and I've heard the CLEO won't sign off, so I have to go the trust route.

Can anyone confirm this? Also, any of you VA guys have a lead on a good lawyer to set up my trust - if necessary?

Thanks!

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    When I got my first suppressor (lived in Arlington at the time) the dealer I went through said Alexandria CLEO didn't sign...that was about two years ago but I don't think it's changed. I have several friends that have used Arsenal Attorneys and they have been very pleased.

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    if you are legally allowed to possess nfa items and pass all background checks how is it that cleo can not sign off if it is legal and acceptable by law to own? I have a trust and always went that route but with pending changes to nfa transfers and being in md this could be concerning. so how is it that cleo can just say no and your sol?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    if you are legally allowed to possess nfa items and pass all background checks how is it that cleo can not sign off if it is legal and acceptable by law to own? I have a trust and always went that route but with pending changes to nfa transfers and being in md this could be concerning. so how is it that cleo can just say no and your sol?

I most states the CLEOs are not required to sign off... So it becomes a question if they will.

I MD, its a shall issue law. So they will sign off unless there is a reason not to.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Wouldn't the Fairfax CLEO be the County Police Chief, not the Sheriff?

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?
    As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.
    [27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#necessary-le-certifications

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Perhaps not if the person is in the city of Alexandria. That's not Fairfax County.

Eh still learning what's in which area there. But the part I had quoted had mentioned the Fairfax County Sheriff changing in the most recent election.

So, my question remains: Anyone get a local sign off in Alexandria, and if so by whom?
    Based on IMBLITZVT's quote above, "the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable"

It looks like there's a couple of other options, including county sheriff, head of the VA State Police, or a local DA. Of those the head of the VA State Police (until the new gov comes in) might be your best option.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Local police chief wouild be the chief of the City of Alexandria PD.There is a portion of unincorporated Alexandria that is in Fairfax County but that's not within the Alexandria city limits.

I worked in Old Town for 15 years.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica