• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I know that both Cumberland and Hagerstown stores had a sale. I assume all tram law stores in the area had it. At the Hagerstown store, even the clerks didn't know it was on sale! They thought it was .22 ammo only.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    all brass is not created equal, depending on the alloy and process used to make it, the brass could simply be much more malleable and less rigid than brass from other manufacturers, or the internal dimensions could be different to allow for more volume for powder, or many other things.

Bottom line is with an unsupported chamber of that magnitude, it's no wonder hot ammo is bulging- I sometimes get some small bulges with very hot ammunition in my glock 23 (usually federal HST) and 17.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As mentioned a few posts back, another box of the same load did not cause a case bulge when shot from original pistol.

I did demill a round of the suspect ZQI before turning the balance and a Winchester white box load. The ZQI has a thicker web by several thousandths of inch. There were 5.3 grains of what appeared to be an extruded powder in the ZQI. There was 5.4 grains of what appeared to be a flattened ball powder in the Winchester round.

Spatha

Sep 17, 2011
    AA County
    I took some ZQI 124gr 9mm to the range today. Of the 20 rounds I fired out of my 92fs I was able to recover 12 casings. None of them were fully bulged, but each showed a distinct ring around the casing. The primers were convex and showed signs of flowing back into the firing pin channel. They were lot # 14160065.

We also went through 100 rounds of Winchester 124gr Nato ball (92fs and Glock 19). The Winchester casings looked just fine.

I contacted ZQI and will wait to see what their response is.

bawlmer

ALS Warrior
    Mar 15, 2013
    Bawlmer, hon.
    I just purchased a Springfield XDs 4.0 9mm. I also purchased a box of the ZQI 9mm NATO ammo, 123gr FMJ. I fired several rounds of Federal 9mm, as well as a box of 50 PPU, all without a single FTF or FTE. I decided to try the ZQI. The very first round chambered and fired, but failed to eject. I removed the magazine, and tried to remove the shell by hand. It was wedged in the chamber. I used a pencil to push from the muzzle end and with some effort, it finally popped loose. I re-inserted the magazine, fired a 2nd shot and it did the same thing again. This time, I couldn't remove the spent shell. One of the range employees brought out a cleaning rod and had to beat it a few times to get the spent shell out. Here's a picture of the shell. I will NEVER buy this ZQI junk again. If you guys want to blame the gun, go right ahead. But I do believe Springfield makes a quality product. And a brand new 9mm semi should NOT be having trouble like this. To the OP, it IS the ammo, not the pistol.

Attachments

• DSC00708.jpg
      DSC00708.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 219

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I realized that when I fired ammunition they sent me as a replacement for the original loads I sent to them. I did purchase a used SA barrel and used the fired Winchester case to mark the depth of throating. The wasn't as big a difference as I thought there would be, though in this diminsion a little is alot. Quick dynamic headspace the original barrel has .016" more throat depth than the SA barrel. Additionally there is no SWC throating (barrel feed ramp) on the SA barrel, just the standard GI type FMJ throat (barrel feed ramp).

While I can't say I am glad it happened to you, I am glad to see your case pic. Thanks, about the same amount of unsupported area as mine.

Last edited:

Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Read the pages and you will find the Chrony info.

Pretty well known the XDs shortcomings and what to stay away from. Maybe I read too much.

Scottfs

Aug 25, 2014
    A month late to the topic, but my 2 cents...

Bought this ZQi 123 gr NATAO stuff at Walmart for $12.97 last week. Shot it in my Glock 19 Gen 4 with no problems in the action, and the spent brass looked normal.

Chrony data for me on a 6 shot string out of my 4" barrel:
    Avg FPS: 1164.7
    Std Dev FPS: 10
    Min FPS: 1148
    Max FPS: 1178
    Spread FPS: 30
    True MV FPS: 1166

The cartridge lengths are around 1.155". This is not near the max of 1.169" for the 9mm spec (I think that's the number), but it is longer than any other ball ammo I have bought from the store. So if a particular gun has a shorter chamber and the bullet hits the lands then it would be more probable to have a slight bit more of the head exposed leading to some of these bulges.?? Dunno, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom