• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    No. As I'm sure you know, VT does not require a permit. Maine required a firearms safety course to get a non-resident CCW.

The first time I wanted a ME CCW, I went to the SIG Academy for a 2 day intro to handguns course. When I renewed my license, I was told an "NRA Pink Hunters Safety card" would do & took an NRA safety course at my local range.

For those interested, NH is a shall-issue state, which requires a $25 or $30 check for a 4 yr permit. The local cops run a NICS on you & check references you provide. Takes make a month.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need to Google residency.

In general, if you live here for a year, you become a resident of this state. And need to change your license, title, and pay state taxes, or be in violation of the law.

The only "normal" exemptions to this are military assigned here or full time students. Depending on the status of the training, you might be able to avoid residency.

But is NOT just up to you to decide to become or not become a resident.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I realize this & eluded (poorly, might I add) to this. Strictly speaking, I believe my contract is for 49 or 50 weeks, given vacation & I'm paying a mortgage in NH, my 2 cars are registered in NH, I vote in NH, have a job offer to return to, ad nauseum....

I'm sure it's a legal grey area, but regardless, I've no intention of becoming an MD resident.

No offense meant....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You need to Google residency.

In general, if you live here for a year, you become a resident of this state. And need to change your license, title, and pay state taxes, or be in violation of the law.

The only "normal" exemptions to this are military assigned here or full time students. Depending on the status of the training, you might be able to avoid residency.

But is NOT just up to you to decide to become or not become a resident.

You are considered a MD resident after 6 months. You need to change your registration and license within 60 days of that.
    With the exemptions noted above

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I realize this & eluded (poorly, might I add) to this. Strictly speaking, I believe my contract is for 49 or 50 weeks, given vacation & I'm paying a mortgage in NH, my 2 cars are registered in NH, I vote in NH, have a job offer to return to, ad nauseum....

I'm sure it's a legal grey area, but regardless, I've no intention of becoming an MD resident.

No offense meant....

Then no registration required . But consulting a lawyer isn't wasted money IMO.

IANAL.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I suspect I would fit a "student" status but will check with my employer.

Thank you all for the help & answers.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    When in doubt, ask the taxman....so I went to the MD tax site.

Seems I fit the residence in other state & work in MD. I suspect that as long as my employer takes out the appropriate taxes, nobody will care. My primary residence is in NH & I can prove it with 15yrs of mortgage. MD law requires I pay MD taxes, but I can officially reside outside of MD.

Feb 28, 2013

Seems I fit the residence in other state & work in MD. I suspect that as long as my employer takes out the appropriate taxes, nobody will care. My primary residence is in NH & I can prove it with 15yrs of mortgage. MD law requires I pay MD taxes, but I can officially reside outside of MD.

Don't you have to pay New Hampshire taxes on top of that?

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    We only have property tax--no state income tax & only certain items & restaraunts have additional tax. The MD tax site says there's some reciprocity/formula for Delaware, VA, etc--I doubt MD will give me my tax dollars back, but I may be able to get some tax benefit for my MD taxes--my accountant will figure that out.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    We only have property tax--no state income tax & only certain items & restaraunts have additional tax. The MD tax site says there's some reciprocity/formula for Delaware, VA, etc--I doubt MD will give me my tax dollars back, but I may be able to get some tax benefit for my MD taxes--my accountant will figure that out.

Welcome to Maryland, if it CAN be taxed, Maryland WILL tax it :sad20:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    No. As I'm sure you know, VT does not require a permit. Maine required a firearms safety course to get a non-resident CCW.

The first time I wanted a ME CCW, I went to the SIG Academy for a 2 day intro to handguns course. When I renewed my license, I was told an "NRA Pink Hunters Safety card" would do & took an NRA safety course at my local range.

For those interested, NH is a shall-issue state, which requires a $25 or $30 check for a 4 yr permit. The local cops run a NICS on you & check references you provide. Takes make a month.

New NH was shall issue. Do they have a non resident CCW available? IS it NH or VT that doesn't allow suppressors? Try to enjoy your stay here. Just bring the basics and leave the rest in the free state. Sound like you will still be NH resident.:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No offense meant....

It is NOT a legal gray area. After you go over the period of time specified in the law, you ARE a resident of MD (unless exempted as mentioned).

And failure to re-register cars, change DL, pay state taxes,and register regulated firearms are ALL ILLEGAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, because you are not spending your nights in NH. That is residing.

The law is to cover people who live in PA, or NJ, or DE, or WV, or VA, or DC and commute back and forth.

MD looks at the number of nights spend in each domicile. You go over the magic number for the year, and you ARE AN MD RESIDENT.

You REALLY need to talk a lawyer if you are planning on skirting the law.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    To whom is he required to report the number of nights spent here or there?

It's reflected on the MD state tax return he files annually. As long as he's paying MD taxes in full on what he earns here, MD won't give a hoot where he claims residency unless he has significant non-earned income.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom