• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I love my Remington 700 but if buying now I'd look at the Ruger Precision rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Read this post , then read it again....yes this post is that good!
    All Things needed to answer this question are found above in a good format.

Thanks.

People are still saying X or Y rifle, WITHOUT KNOWING THE USE.

A Sako TRG22 or 42 is an AWESOME rifle. But not if you are planning on long walks in the woods hunting. And there are many lightweight rifles that are awesome for hunting, that will not cut it if you want to do a long range precision competition or F-class.

And most of the posts in this thread state X rifle is what you want to buy, without saying WHY that is your recommendation. And how many people recommending X or Y rifle have experience with more than the one rifle?

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I would go with a Tikka, they are a great all around package. They're not expensive, You get one of the smoothest actions on any bolt action rifle, They have Sako barrels, (which are phenomenal), adjustable triggers, lightweight, and probably one of the most accurate rifles straight out the box that you can buy.

I have the Tikka T3 Superlite (cabelas, and sportsmans are the only places you can buy thsese new) which comes with the fluted barrel and shaves a few more ounces off what the tikka t3 lite weighs. This was the rifle I used to carry in the mountains when I lived in AK, and it's killed a bunch of critters from 80 yards out to 330 yards. When I put the crosshairs on something with that rifle I have full confidence it's going to score a hit.

I own a bolt actions from Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Ruger, Savage, and more. I'm a huge model 70 enthusiast but honestly, and I really hate to admit this, but that Tikka outshoots them all, and is the one I take out more than any of them.

They've got some really interesting chamberings too that you don't find too much of these days.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you want value; the Savage 110 package includes a Nikon 3X9 scope. Not a bad way to roll.

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
      DSC_0084.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 221
    • DSC_0087.jpg
      DSC_0087.jpg
      97.2 KB · Views: 219

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    You cannot go wrong with Savage. But I think CZ makes a good rifle as well, and much more pleasing to the eye. Winchester has a new lower price entry rifle which is worth looking over. I bought a used Winchester Black Shadow push-fed Model 70 a couple years ago for about $400. All it needed was a trigger job and a Redfield scope. It shoots great.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Dicks sporting goods has savage axis with a crappy scope for $269 this week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Well the OP never seemed to answer any questions that were asked about what they would be using it for..so time to let this tread die.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    My .02.

If you think you'd like to tinker with and mod your rifle, go with a Remington. No end of aftermarket for those.

If you just want to buy and shoot, get a Savage.

But I don't think you'd really lose if you bought either one of those.

The Ruger American seems very nice. It would tempt me, but I've no experience with it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well the OP never seemed to answer any questions that were asked about what they would be using it for..so time to let this tread die.

Why?????

Nobody giving advice seems to care what the use is. Only claiming XYZ rifle is the best choice.

Like saying ABC car is the best choice. Choice for WHAT????????????

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think someone already sent the OP to his room without dinner...

Lol, looks like he might log in here every 2-3 weeks. He might have gotten more useful information if he was able to guide the discussion early by answering questions. Instead he has recommendations for probably 8 models of rifles.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    "Why???" Come on pinecone. If you ask advise,then wander off,while everyone is asking what you'll use it for,that seems like bad manners to me.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    IDK, maybe I read it wrong... but he said he's not a hunter or a competitive shooter, just wants a bolt gun in his life. One (myself) could only assume from that point that it will be a safe queen or a paper puncher. I gave my recommendation based on that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I still love my CZ750.. So much that I added a CZ455 to the family. The 308 needed a little brother :D

I added a CZ455 to the family, and it cost me an extra $1000+ to put a Manners stock on my precision rifle. :)

Yeah, I got the CZ455 VPT. SWEET rifle.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Yes he did. He did say he was NOT a hunter or competitive shooter. Just said he needs to have a bolt action in his life. Pretty sure that means an inexpensive, all around bolt action.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I love these threads. It's basically 'free association', a psychiatric technique where the patient just keeps saying whatever comes to his mind after you give them a keyword.

Had the OP just said 'I want a dog' the recommendations would have been:

Dachsen
    Chesapeake Retriever
    Golden Retriever
    Great Dane
    Nufie
    Bichon
    Mutt
    American Bulldog

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics