• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    What’s the deal with scope mount bases? US made bases for a Remington 700 range in price from $25 to well over $100. Is there really a difference in the aluminum and steel mounts or are you just paying for the name?

$35 Weaver base
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...emington-700-long-action?cm_vc=ProductFinding

$150 Badger
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...emington-700-long-action?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I need to replace my existing 2 piece mount (POS) on my 300 Win Mag for MD’s bear hunting season next month. Hopefully I can get something ordered this week.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You'll stand taller among men, if the bear is shot with tacticool scope bases.

I have leupold 1 & 2 piece bases and a set of QR bases on all my rifles. No complaints but I'm not one of the cool kids.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I really can't tell you. When I was looking at mounting a scope on my AR, mounts went from $5.00 to $270.00. (Fixed to Quick Detach) So being the CHEAP SOB I am, I bought the $5.00 set. I can tell you that the screws on the $5.00 set where the softest metal I ever saw.
    I went to ACE hardware and bought some grade 8 SHCS and used them instead. I am talking about a .223, a friend has a 50 BMG upper that pins on an AR lower (Bolt Action, side magazine fed) and has a set of Aluminum rings that broke in half from the recoil after just a few rounds. He has steel rings now.
    So I really have no idea what makes them that much more expensive?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's the name.

Look at what Porch was able to pull off once he slapped his name on a Volkswagen.

Could be the grade of aluminum is better, but it won't be $115.00 better.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have used and/or set up rings that run the range from the $20 store brand vertical split rings and cheap two piece bases to Ken Farrell, Seekins and the like.

In my opinion, you are paying for better material, R&D and better machining (more time and labor) in addition to name.

When DRMSparks and I were setting up our precision rifles back in '08, Ed Shell helped me mount the bases, rings and scopes on both of our rifles. DRMSparks selected Farrell rings and bases and I, being a poor college student at the time, selected EGW rings and bases. The amount of material removed from the EGW rings to lap them into a reasonably round shape was notable comparable to the Farrell rings.

The EGW rings were also of unknown aluminum and I couldnt torque them down as tight as the Farrell. The EGW rings started to fail after 500 or so rounds of 308. Despite periodically checking the torque, they were sliding against the base. uploadfromtaptalk1441722044212.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    What’s the deal with scope mount bases? US made bases for a Remington 700 range in price from $25 to well over $100. Is there really a difference in the aluminum and steel mounts or are you just paying for the name?

$35 Weaver base
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...emington-700-long-action?cm_vc=ProductFinding

$150 Badger
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...emington-700-long-action?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I need to replace my existing 2 piece mount (POS) on my 300 Win Mag for MD’s bear hunting season next month. Hopefully I can get something ordered this week.

For a Remington 700, I prefer the Leupold one-piece 'conventional' mount and rings.
    STEEL.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...rd-long-range-scope-base?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362138899/leupold-standard-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding
    (Even have an extended mount for the front ring, if needed.)

With that said, I did put a Leupold Picatinny (steel!) mount on my 700 SPS AAC-SD with Leupold MKIV rings.
    Rock Solid.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...ase-8-40-adaptable-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Personally, I don't use any aluminum mounts or rings on my rifles. Period.

I can't see how they would stand up to recoil on anything larger than .22 Magnum.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I have a Badger 20 moa rail on my .300 win mag and it has held up beautifully. My base has a little lip on it where it mates with the receiver which insures that it doesn't move during recoil. I have used Badger mounts on several rifles and I like the mil spec picatinny rail because I can swap a scope between rifles without moving the rings on the scope.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Great info, thanks guys.

BYF43, i'm really digging that Luepold mount and may go with it. The price is right too

The picatinny mount is on the 700 SPS AAC-SD.

I've had the Leupold 'standard' mount and rings on a Remington 700 LA in '06, since '85, and it's still holding the old VX-1 with no slippage.

For the picatinny mount, the Leupold MK IV rings are hella strong, but, for a hunting rifle, they are heavy (and expensive).
    These are on the SPS AAC-SD and my beloved M1A.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...atinny-style-rings-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'm using Warne "Maxima" rings on a .45-70 and on a 12 ga slug gun.

These are steel and IMNSHO, are MUCH better rings than any "Weaver" ring.
    (And they lock up tight on the Leupold picatinny mount.) :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...hable-weaver-style-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Have heard plenty of good things about Warne and was considering them. I ended up going with Seekins rings & base and was very happy with how they set up. Their 34mm rings were really well made, lapped quickly, straight with quality hardware.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Talley mount on my Rem 700. Based on advice from Sport Optics.

I would go with steel for durability. Recoil lug is good for magnums (not bad for others).

Quality rail is more likely to be straight. But Rem 700 receiver will not be. :)

Look to You Tube and bed the mount. I used JB Weld.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

I would go with steel for durability. Recoil lug is good for magnums (not bad for others).

Quality rail is more likely to be straight. But Rem 700 receiver will not be. :)

The recoil lug and the full surface on the picatinny section; no "lightening" cut down the middle were two features I liked about the Seekins.

Yes, whether you bed your base to your receiver or shim it, it's good to make sure you aren't cranking your base out of alignment.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

The recoil lug and the full surface on the picatinny section; no "lightening" cut down the middle were two features I liked about the Seekins.

Yes, whether you bed your base to your receiver or shim it, it's good to make sure you aren't cranking your base out of alignment.

I was aware of staying away of lighting cuts, but not bedding the mount. I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip!!!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I've used some cheap stuff in the past. EGW et al is fine for a .22 but I found the machine work to be not even close to snuff for my Rem 700 or Savage. IMHO you are paying more for 3 things:

1. Better materials - no galling, no shifting, no backing out of screws, no breakage.

2. Better engineering work - Everything fits right the first time and won't damage your other gear. I had a scope get scratched in a set of cheap rings that I didn't lap. Badger rings are made such that they will not scratch up the scope and mounting is true OOB, no additional tweaking necessary. When I initially mount to the base I use a 30mm bar from the wheeler lapping kit, secure to the base and then mount the scope. From there I can remove the scope and replace it.

3. Better manufacturing consistency - With a Nightforce base under Badger rings I can take my Vortex 2.5-10 scope off, put it back on and shoot and I'm inside of 1/4" at 100 yards. That's less than the group size on that ammo so it may be less. I have to be sure to mount and torque it the same every time but that's still as good as a schmo like me can hope for.

I'm not sorry I saved the extra scratch and went with better rings and base. I still have the EGW base on a 22lr Savage which is why I swap the Vortex out now and then but when I put it back on the big(er) boy it's always dead nutz on the money.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer bedding, as the location you need to shim (typically the rear area) is not constant thickness. A shim may induce loads. Bedding fills the actual shape of the gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom