• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    My father in law decided to take 2 .222 rifles out of his mother's attic and fix them up. He has the barrels refinished and the wood refinished and they look GREAT now. I will post pics as soon as I am able to get them for you.

Question becomes, what sort of scope should I get? Uses would include mostly ground hogs and coyotes.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    A standard 3-9 should give you all the magnification you need for .222 (as I have one, and that's what's on it). Bonus points: 3x9's are plentiful and run the price gamut. A standard Leupold VX2 is a great option for about 300, the VX-R patrol is better glass and costs more, or if you're all tacticool you can go with the SWFA SS HD version with front-focal for ensuring proper ranging of varmints without a rangefinder. ;)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A .222 Remington with a good bore and trigger in the hands of a good shooter can knock gnats off targets. Excellent cartridge.....glad to hear the rifles escaped the attic!

Leupold makes a thin Varmint Hunter Reticle on a number of their scopes as an option that you may like. Their 4.5x14x40 VX-3 comes to mind as a scope I'd look hard at given the application you describe.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am a BIG fan of Vortex. Good scopes, good prices, EXCELLENT customer service.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    So, vortex it is. Now, my issue is the scope mount. I can't figure out what scope mounts to get and Bass Pro was incredibly unhelpful. Anyone know what the heck I'm supposed to put on this thing so I can mount the scope?

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    PEPR is a nice mount, but pretty heavy. I've found myself more and more a fan of the Aero Precision cantilever. Only drawback to the lighter weight is some users have mentioned a frustrating time torquing down the ring screws and scopes canting, but a little pre-cant in the opposite direction seems to provide the necessary fix.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    .222 is a great round very accurate and held most of the records before the .22 PPC came along. For varmints any good 3 X 9 should do get good glass and a reticle you like and enjoy.

What make and model are the rifles?

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Here are some pictures. I found the correct mount for the gun on Amazon. As I stated above, it's a beautiful gun with the matte finish and the refinished stock.

Now, I just have to figure out how the scope rings attach to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpg
      IMG_1555.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 123
    • IMG_1556.jpg
      IMG_1556.jpg
      129.6 KB · Views: 126
    • IMG_1557.jpg
      IMG_1557.jpg
      176.6 KB · Views: 123

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Here are some pictures. I found the correct mount for the gun on Amazon. As I stated above, it's a beautiful gun with the matte finish and the refinished stock.

Now, I just have to figure out how the scope rings attach to it.

The top of it should already be drilled and tapped for the scope base. Once you have the scope bases on, the scope rings go onto the scope base. From there, we all know the rest of the story on how to mount a scope.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Looks like you'll have to use scope rings with tabs on the bottom. The front one twists into the front hole, the rear goes in and the screws on the side lock it in place. That's not a Weaver mount, it's called something else. I suggest you get a Caldwell scope mount kit to make sure you have the rings lined up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom