• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm debating getting rid of my barrel. No longer interested in this style of build. Your groups good Brad?

Decent so far, big detriment I'm having is the SD3G trigger isn't exactly suited to the DMR role. :innocent0

When I bear down and concentrate on the pull, it's showing definite potential.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Decent so far, big detriment I'm having is the SD3G trigger isn't exactly suited to the DMR role. :innocent0

When I bear down and concentrate on the pull, it's showing definite potential.

50-100 rounds down the barrel will wake it up.

ETA: That's also the going method with black hole weaponry barrels, it seems. Put some through it and get the little micro-burrs out of the rifling, and things settle in nicely.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    :lol: played with one once and picked up an SSA (or the E version, don't remember) immediately after. I'd light that SD3G off with an inadvertent muscle jerk. :lol2:

The SSA-E I sold off with the .50Beo upper, complete rifle basically.

It was definitely better suited for the DMR/SPR role, great trigger IMO.

50-100 rounds down the barrel will wake it up.

ETA: That's also the going method with black hole weaponry barrels, it seems. Put some through it and get the little micro-burrs out of the rifling, and things settle in nicely.

I figure counting the Saturday at DSC, that should put me past the century mark for round count - safely.

The next outing, I'll try some of that Mk262 Mod1 and see how it prints with those.

Been doing 10.5/11 hour days at a new job, so haven't had much time to load or hit the range yet.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    that's okay. gainful employment is always a good thing.

i'm going to try to squirt down to MG maybe *NEXT* weekend (if not, build up comp time or just take a day off during the week) to try some handloads with 168 ballistic tips in the 308. FGMM will work for deer, especially with the high shoulder or neck shot I normally use for meat, but it would be nice to have the option of heart/lung if something other than "just meat" happens by. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't had much free time to hit the range much, or even update this thread.

Made it out a few weeks ago with my bro, and the rifle definitely likes Mk262 Mod1 (SSA). 0 feed/ejection issues, VERY promising accuracy potential.

From a kneeling position using a chair as a front rest, managed to put nearly all 20 rounds into a thumb sized ragged hole. So I'd say the Larue barrel likes the 77gr OTM pills.

If I can get some free time, will definitely have to cook up a few batches to try and replicate the SSA loading and see how much more can be had.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Haven't had much free time to hit the range much, or even update this thread.

Made it out a few weeks ago with my bro, and the rifle definitely likes Mk262 Mod1 (SSA). 0 feed/ejection issues, VERY promising accuracy potential.

From a kneeling position using a chair as a front rest, managed to put nearly all 20 rounds into a thumb sized ragged hole. So I'd say the Larue barrel likes the 77gr OTM pills.

If I can get some free time, will definitely have to cook up a few batches to try and replicate the SSA loading and see how much more can be had.

Did you happen to chrono those rounds? I was trying to work up a replica round that my WOA SPR barrel likes and I keep running into pressure/accuracy issues
    when I reach the 2600+ fps plane. Just curious what your Larue barrel sends these out at....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Did you happen to chrono those rounds? I was trying to work up a replica round that my WOA SPR barrel likes and I keep running into pressure/accuracy issues
    when I reach the 2600+ fps plane. Just curious what your Larue barrel sends these out at....

I didn't take the chrono out in the rain, so I couldn't say exactly what type of velocity they were doing.

Black Hills lists their Mk262 clone load as delivering 2750fps, but I haven't found the specs for SSA's Mk262 load - so I'd be hard pressed to give a realistic range for velocity.

If I can ever get some free time, I'll chrono the other box from the same production lot and post the numbers I get from them.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    No worries, it was a "just if you bothered already". It is curiosity more than anything. Having trouble getting the 77 nosler CC (old mk262 bullet) to run under an inch.
    At this point I just may go for safe velocity and make defensive blasters for my SBR. The Hornady 75 HPBT's are a bargain that's hard to beat for quantity shooting. Several of my guns shoot sub MOA with my pet load.
    I have a hankerin to build a precision AR in 223, not sure if Ill ever follow through tho..... The SPR is pretty close to most 3 gun setups and both my 3gun setups have SPR Manufactured barrels on them.
    What made you pick the LaRue barrel?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Larue had a 50% off on barrels sale not that long ago, so that was enough to justify giving them a go in my mind.

I've noticed that some times the SPR's/clones don't really start to shine until 200 yards and beyond. Armed Ferret had a true Mk12 build - even down to the Douglas barrel, and it'd struggle to do better than an inch at 100, but beyond that it would shoot lights out, consistently. I've almost chalked it up as "Nature of the beast".

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    well that gives me some assurance with mine. I've only ran my 18 out to 200. I've got some cfe223 loads with a hornaday 75 grain HPBT that I'm cooking up right now.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Larue had a 50% off on barrels sale not that long ago, so that was enough to justify giving them a go in my mind.

I've noticed that some times the SPR's/clones don't really start to shine until 200 yards and beyond. Armed Ferret had a true Mk12 build - even down to the Douglas barrel, and it'd struggle to do better than an inch at 100, but beyond that it would shoot lights out, consistently. I've almost chalked it up as "Nature of the beast".

Maybe I'll look at my data again, I had some pretty good ES/SD #'s with mediocre accuracy @100. Unfortunately my local range only goes to 200 yrs..... I've been work king on 1time, (vinjet700 will prob go too) to get out Mifflin and play on the long range but our 3rd buddy is a scheduling nightmare.
    Maybe I'll do some more workups and check at 200 in the freetime I've seemed to lose lately....
    I have had my Hornady 75s run pretty good at Peacemaker out to 600 at a match in the spring, never checked any paper over 200 though.
    Good info thx.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Finally got it done, although the guy who put the upper together seems a little shady :innocent0...

DSC02186_zpsd2fqbcqs.jpg

DSC02184_zpsep7bnpu0.jpg

DSC02182_zps843drw6h.jpg

Upper:
    VLTOR MUR
    WOA 18" rifle gas Wylde 5.56
    SLR Solo Lite 15" MLOK
    SLR Sentry 7 gas block, pinned
    Seekins gas tube
    AIM melonite BCG
    MSTN QC Brake/comp
    Badger CH
    JP mount/rings
    Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 MRAD

Lower:
    RRA
    RRA tuned match 2-stage trigger from when it was my service rifle for comp.
    Magpul MIAD
    Magpul ACS

Now, I just have to get out and shoot the damned thing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Trumpet, looks good as a complete rifle, with any luck it'll shoot as good as it looks.

And yeah, I've heard about that builder - one interesting individual there, heard he was taught by some dried up hack gunsmith from Glen Burnie... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom