• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Looking to buy a shotgun for trap/skeet and possible duck hunting. Looking for an auto loader but open to other suggestions. Im not trying to break the bank either. Thanks in advance for any help.

LucasF

Mar 6, 2014
    Stevensville, MD
    I just picked up a Beretta A300 Outlander last Friday... It was right at $699 for the synthetic finish. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I put about 300 rounds through it on Saturday and it was flawless. Its something you should look into. I think for the money, it doesnt get much better.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Used A5. It will never let you down in the field. Think AK of shotguns, drop in mud and keep shooting.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    For trap and skeet I'd recommend a gas operated semi over a recoil/inertia operated gun. The lower felt recoil will mitigate fatigue and allow for better second shots. I like Beretta's, especially the 391. But the 302, 303, 390 and current 300 and 400 are all great versatile shooters, mostly below your budget (not sure about the 400). The Weatherby SA is a good quality low cost semi too.

12 gauge, 26" or (preferably) 28" barrels with choke tubes. 3" would be nice for duck hunting but not a deal breaker IMO.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Try different brands and buy the one that feels the best in YOUR hands. Browning, Winchester, Benelli, Remington, Beretta....doesn't matter if it does't fit YOU. I own several Browning Golds, I love them. I can't shoot a Beretta worth a crap. Not a thing wrong with them, they're great guns, they just don't fit ME.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mesduckman

Registered Sika Offender
    Feb 17, 2014
    Carney, MD
    For that $1000 range and the possibility of doing several things "trap/skeet, hunting" with one receiver I would highly recommend considering a Remington 1100.

My reasons:
    1) Your price range - you can buy new for $850 - $1000 depending on configuration. Used even cheaper and available everywhere.

2) Versatility - while no one gun "does it all" barrels in different configurations and stocks wood or synthetic for the 1100 are readily available i.e. step rib, mid bead for trap and or skeet, field profiles, choke tubes, monte carlo stocks, etc. (on Ebay and elsewhere) allowing you to simply swap a barrel and or furniture to have something maybe not perfect for each of the clays games but close enough to go have fun with, and certainly a great field gun IN YOUR PRICE RANGE. You can turn it into whatever you like which is fun in itself.

3) Reliable... the 1100 can just flat out take the abuse. A clean, well maintained 1100 rarely fails, period.

She is in my humble opinion a working man's dreamboat versatile scatter gun. My $.02

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Really can't go wrong with any of the major brands, there's so much competition each manufacturer has a following.

It will mostly come down to fit, finish and some other cosmetic things you prefer. Maybe you will like the bolt handle on a Beretta better than a Browning.

I can break targets with just about any shotgun out of the box, almost 6', 170ish lbs.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Looking to buy a shotgun for trap/skeet and possible duck hunting. Looking for an auto loader but open to other suggestions. Im not trying to break the bank either. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks fer starting the thread - I'm in the same search. New or used Autoloader fer $500-$1K for mostly clays, but eventually all types of bird and deer hunting.

I have a Mossy 535 Field that I so far shoot well in Trap and Wobble, but would like an Auto for Sporting Clays...

Right now I debating between:

Used Browning Gold Hunter fer $600 - I hear some years of production had cycling issues so I'm hesitant. This is the successor to the beloved A5, that I myself love, but I hear can be frustrating with target loads, and it may "shoot 'too low'" for clays. I admit, I've yet to see an A5 used on the fields at PG Trap...

Used Remi 1187 fer $500 - the one in question is kinda beat up, but a good buy fer the reasons mentioned earlier for 1100's and 1187's. Swapping parts for diff needs is easy, and so I hear, it's the most popular Autoloader on the planet...

New Remi 1100 for $700

New Beretta A300 - $700

New Versamax basic synthetic field model - best price I found was $1,000...

Hope my info helps you with ideas. Also, any opinions on this list, greatly appreciated!

--JB

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I personally like the Mossbergs. The 935 magnum is an auto loader and it can take the 3.5" shells. Has a bunch of choke tubes you can screw in and out for versatility. Plus youll have money left over to get a shorter barrel for home defense, or a slug barrel or some hunting gear, ammo or....

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Stoeger 3500. Kept shooting when my buddy's $1,500 bebelli froze. His is purdier but mine went bang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom