• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Specifically the decapping/resizing 9mm die. Certain brass (RWS) won't completely deprime with the Dillon 9mm die, I end up having to use my Lee 10mm die to pop out the primer. Slows down the process when I'm trying to crank out a bunch of ammunition. Which was the whole point of getting the 550. I have not had this problem with the 45 ACP die, will this happen when I move my 40 S&W stuff over?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Sounds like you have something out of adjustment. When you pull the handle down, does the bottom of the die just about touch the shell holder? Is your pin broken. I have never had a problem when all is lined up properly. IIRC, you just got this?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like you have something out of adjustment. When you pull the handle down, does the bottom of the die just about touch the shell holder? Yes Is your pin broken. No I have never had a problem when all is lined up properly. IIRC, you just got this?Yes

The press is used, the dies are brand new. There's no way to adjust the pin. And the Dillon dies are the only 9mm dies I have.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Someone will be along to tell us what I am missing. If you don't put a shell in and pull the handle how far down does the pin go? I think it is adjustable. Here is the instructions that I happened to have sitting in front of me. They are for rifle dies, but this part should be the same. the last sentence under number 5 should apply.

Forgive the spot of hoisin sauce :D

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
      IMG_1195.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 284

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have it set so that the die touches the plate when the handle is fully stroked. It's happening with CBC brass, too. It's not happening with crimped primer brass. It may be pushing the primer out, but the primer is sticking to the decapping pin and gets pulled back into the primer pocket.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Call Dillon.

They will fix it. SUPERB customer service.

I still do not understand why people will go online and bitch about something, BEFORE giving the company a chance to fix it.

And BTW< you may have to set the die so the press cams over at full stroke. I have to set it up this was for my .223/5.56 die to size the case enough to fully drop into the case gauge. And yes, I called Dillon to confirm that this may be required.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I still do not understand why people will go online and bitch about something, BEFORE giving the company a chance to fix it.

Because Dillon probably doesn't answer the phone on a Sat and he might want an answer before then? We all know dillon cust service is first rate. Its one of the reasons we buy them. But the collective knowledge of the internet is an amazing thing. He might find an answer to his problems quickly, possibly learn something in addition from someone else's similar experience, and we could learn too. I'm currently using Lee dies in my 650. If their decapping die set is fidgety I'd like to know about it or solve it if a similar problem happens to me.

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    but the primer is sticking to the decapping pin and gets pulled back into the primer pocket

Bingo.

I've had this happen with several of my Dillon sizing/decapping die. The Dillon decapping pins have a sharp edge that lets the primers hold on to the decapping pins. You need to round off that edge. This will allow the primer to more easily fall off the decapping pin.

Remove the decapping pin from the die. Chuck the decapping pin in a drill press or a hand drill. Run the press or drill at a low speed and gently touch the outside edge (NOT THE VERY BOTTOM) of the decapping pin with a needle file or some sandpaper backed by a piece of wood. Start it at a 45 degree angle and then move the file or sandpaper so as to round off the edge. DO NOT SHORTEN THE DECAPPING PIN. Just round off the edge.

Remove the decapping pin from the press or drill and clean it thoroughly. Re blue the tip of it, or, if you don't have any bluing solution, apply your favorite anti-rust concoction. Reassemble the sizing/decapping die and give it a whirl.

Last edited:

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    The biggest complaints I have read about Dillon dies is the depriming function.
    I have other complaints about Dillon dies, but depriming is usually fixed by flattening the head (some were too sharp and pierce and stick in the anvil), chamfering the head (some have the edges too square/sharp that grab the anvil), or getting a longer pin (not this problem if you know the primer is coming out and being dragged back in by stuck on the pin).

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    If these are new dies, they should have come with an extra decapping pin. If the pin is not the problem, they should be able to be adjusted. Did you ask DA about this? I notice that he has not posted in this thread. Maybe PM him.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Interesting, I have had a similar problem with 40 S&W in my Dillon dies.
    I have just put up with it because it doesn't happen often. I can feel the obstruction at the priming station, pull the brass and use a universal decapper in a single stage press next to it, or sometimes the decapping tool from my.44 mag Lee Loader.
    I have also not paid enough attention to see if there was a single make of brass involved
    I have not had it happen enough to try figure it out, but now will pull the decapping pin and round the edge a bit.
    DocAitch

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Because Dillon probably doesn't answer the phone on a Sat and he might want an answer before then? We all know dillon cust service is first rate. Its one of the reasons we buy them. But the collective knowledge of the internet is an amazing thing. He might find an answer to his problems quickly, possibly learn something in addition from someone else's similar experience, and we could learn too. I'm currently using Lee dies in my 650. If their decapping die set is fidgety I'd like to know about it or solve it if a similar problem happens to me.

Dillon does answer the phone on a Saturday. Check their hours...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeap.

From the top of their web page.

Toll Free 800-762-3845 or 480-948-8009 • Fax 480-998-2786 • 7-6 MST, M-F, 8-3 Sat.

And BTW, that is Mountain time, so 10 - 5 Eastern time in the winter, 11 - 6 in the summer (Arizona does not to Daylight Saving Time).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yeap.

From the top of their web page.

And BTW, that is Mountain time, so 10 - 5 Eastern time in the winter, 11 - 6 in the summer (Arizona does not to Daylight Saving Time).

Thanks for pointing that out. I jumped on here while I was in the middle of loading up 500 9mms. I was hoping to get someone who had experienced this before to tell me I'm a dummy and I was doing something wrong. Apparently, I'm not doing something wrong, it's a problem with specific brass and this die.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Even Dillon has issues. But they fix them.

Also, your thread title is not asking for help, it is complaining about the dies, BEFORE getting help from Dillon.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    :deadhorse: Time to stick a fork in this thread. It will be Saturday in a couple days and you can call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom