• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Basically $100 difference between the two...
    No interest in building one or buying used...
    No plan to ever sell it so not concerned with resale.
    Dollar for Dollar....
    Asking which of the 2 should I buy, and why?
    Is the Colt worth $100 or so more?

Feb 28, 2013
    I recall someone saying the Windham has a commercial buffer and tube, where Colt uses mil-spec tubes.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    This is just my opinion. If you can spare the extra $100 I'd go with the Colt.
    However, both are fine weapons so you can't go wrong. The Colt name has more of a historical value to me.

Personally, I have a Stag Model 3 (16") Carbine, and a Stag Model 6 ( 24" )
    Long Range Varminter. Actually, I have one Stag lower and two Stag uppers.

Again, my preference would be the Colt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I recall someone saying the Windham has a commercial buffer and tube, where Colt uses mil-spec tubes.

Pretend I am totally uneducated about ARs...like I am...lol. Is a "commercial" buffer bad?

I love the story. I also like that there's some actual tech info online for the Windhams. I cannot seem to find any technical specs, even on Colts own site, about the 6721?

I haven't really been able to find any negative feedback about either one, which is why I ask here, hoping for real world reviews and experience. ;)

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    This is just my opinion. If you can spare the extra $100 I'd go with the Colt.
    However, both are fine weapons so you can't go wrong. The Colt name has more of a historical value to me.

Personally, I have a Stag Model 3 (16") Carbine, and a Stag Model 6 ( 24" )
    Long Range Varminter. Actually, I have one Stag lower and two Stag uppers.

Again, my preference would be the Colt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't spend Stag money right now. :(
    Thanks for the reply.

I know Colt is a famous and historical name, but I don't want to buy, or lean the way of, anything just for the name, ya know?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    But colt has the odd size pins. I would go with windam

This hasn't been the case YEARS.

If a Colt is within reach there is no reason NOT to buy the Colt.

I'm a Colt snob though so take it for what its worth.

Both rifles are likely to treat you very well and both would be a good purchase. For me 100 bucks is worth it for the dancing horse. If you are on a tighter budget you can't go wrong with the Windham. It's not a garbage rifle.

Feb 28, 2013
    Pretend I am totally uneducated about ARs...like I am...lol. Is a "commercial" buffer bad?

Not necessarily. But part of the allure of a Colt is that their civvie guns use all mil spec parts just like their LE and military issue guns.

Windham does make a damn fine rifle, but Colt is top of the line from where I sit.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    This hasn't been the case YEARS.

If a Colt is within reach there is no reason NOT to buy the Colt.

I'm a Colt snob though so take it for what its worth.

Both rifles are likely to treat you very well and both would be a good purchase. For me 100 bucks is worth it for the dancing horse. If you are on a tighter budget you can't go wrong with the Windham. It's not a garbage rifle.

Well, I found a Windham for $729 shipped. No tax.
    Same place is out of the Colts, at 829 shipped...
    Cheapest semi local Colt is $860 plus tax, or roughly $915-ish...so closer to $200 difference at this point.
    Normal local Colt price is $1000 out the door, with a 10 round mag, which is more than I am going to spend.

So, revised, it's $754 for Windham and transfer fee with a 30 round mag.
    $915 or so for Colt and 30 rd mag
    $955 or so (w/tax) for Windham and 10 rd bought locally
    $1000 w/tax for Colt and 10 rd bought locally...

I'm leaning much towards the Windham and using the extra $250 for ammo and spare mags, at this point.

$1000 is my self imposed limit for what its worth...

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you do go with the Windham, and want to put some Magpul furniture on them, I have a bunch of commercial stuff I wont need after putting A2 stock on one of my rifles. I am literally "swimming" in commercial stocks. If you want, I will make for you a bargain. :party29:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here's my 6721. It's truthfully one of the nicest rifles I have. Nice factory trigger too. The only thing I would recommend is getting rid of that 4 position tube for a standard one. But I tend to shoot in the 2nd position and that's the only one it doesn't have.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But colt has the odd size pins. I would go with windam

SOME Colts do.

My newer Colts have all standard sized pins. Trigger/hammer and takedown.

My mid-90s HBAR has standard takedown pins, but large trigger/hammer pins.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Mine has standard size pins. It was bought in 2014. They are the same asy spikes lowers and my Anderson. My older colt has the odd size but not the newest ones.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If you do go with the Windham, and want to put some Magpul furniture on them, I have a bunch of commercial stuff I wont need after putting A2 stock on one of my rifles. I am literally "swimming" in commercial stocks. If you want, I will make for you a bargain. :party29:

I may be in touch.:innocent0

Truthfully I paid quite a bit more for mine a year or so ago. That is a great price for any colt. I would go with the colt for that price.

I wish I knew when they are supposed to get them back in stock. I am very spontaneous buying guns, so who knows what I am going to do...lol. I appreciate all the replies so far. I fondled a Colt the other day at Freestate and was really surprised at how light it felt.

I would have probably bought one of the Engage Armament rifles, with their 10% off riot sale, but I couldn't get down there before it ended today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom