• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I have always wanted a M1 .30 Carbine but didn't want to pay the $$$$$$...

I have a chance to buy an Universal M1 .30 Caliber Carbine , the information I've gotten from the buyer it was made in around 1978 in a place called Hialeah, Florida .
    I've got a couple of questions:
    He's asking $300 for (plus a couple mag's and a bit of ammo) - worth it?
    Any issues with the gun I should know about it?

He's said he's never fired it - safe queen.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Personally, I would not want one unless it was USGI (which I recently got)
    Depending on the ammo value and if your using it, $300 for even a commercial sounds like a good deal to me.
    I personally prefer it offhand or sitting position cause its a comfortable gun to shoot.
    Basspro has been stocking 30 Carbine Tulamo for $18/box of 50
    I can't use that at my indoor range but its fun to shoot there or outdoors.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Depending on the ammo value and if your using it, $300 for even a commercial sounds like a good deal to me.

Read all the sections at the link I posted. Factor in that it's Gen 2, prone to catastrophic failure, and has zero collector value. For the same look, short of saving up for the real deal, I think he'd be better off in the long run mating the cheapest 10/22 carbine with the M1-style stock.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm going to give you a different answer at the end of this response, but let me first agree with some folks here:

• Of all the non-military copied of this rifle, the Universals are generally thought to be the worst.
    • If you are looking for a rifle that has long-term collector value, keep looking for a GI model.
    • If you don't care about collector value, and want a non-GI look-alike to shoot, keep an eye out for a Plainfield.

Now, with all that said, if I were you I'd go look at the rifle. Even though it's at the low end of collector values, if it's essentially a new rifle, $300 isn't really a bad price (but $250 would be better). I wouldn't hop on it unless it's like new, but if it is, you can hold it and probably get more for it not too far down the road. Condition is everything in this case!

I used to have a few Plainfields that I bought NIB for $75 each. I only have one now, but the last one that I got rid of went in trade for one of the nicest pistols that I have in my collection. The guy didn't want the pistol, but wanted the rifle for his wife to shoot, and he was amazed that I had a NIB (perfect) M1 carbine copy from the '70s. You never know what might happen. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a Plainfield.

I do have a really pitiful-looking Universal that was my Father-In-Law's rifle. He left it in his basement, it got "sweaty," it rusted, and he took a green scrubber pad to it. Even though it looks like hell and has a less-than-stellar reputation, the thing shoots very well, is reliable, and has been safe (so far). If I wanted something to put behind the seat of the pickup truck, that would be it. It's fine for taking out a fox or coyote, or for putting down a crippled road-hit deer from close range. Would I shoot it much? Nope! It would just be a "for emergency use only" gun that I didn't mind banging around. As it is, I've put about 10 rounds through it, and it's in deep storage now, along with some other odd stuff that I'm not comfortable shooting.

I hope this helps.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Agreed, for a Gen 1, but it's not.

I know exactly where you are coming from on this, and I agree on those points. I wouldn't buy it to shoot, but if it's pristine it might be worth having to keep around for a later trade or sale. It's not as if they are guaranteed to turn into bombs, and there are people who are perfectly comfortable with them. As I said, I've shot mine a few times, and I'd shoot it again without concern, but I wouldn't want to have it be my regular range gun, or to shoot it if it weren't low-mileage (even though ugly) and carefully inspected when I got it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Read all the sections at the link I posted. Factor in that it's Gen 2, prone to catastrophic failure, and has zero collector value. For the same look, short of saving up for the real deal, I think he'd be better off in the long run mating the cheapest 10/22 carbine with the M1-style stock.
    I stand corrected, I did not read the link, was on the phone.
    Dam, I know 2 people with Universals that did not have issues, but not sure which Gen.

JAGGUY

Nov 4, 2009
    Peoples Republik
    I have a Gen 3 Universal I bought new in 1977. Never knew it was such a POS until the Al Gore invented the interwebs...
    I have read that there could be an out of battery issue but I checked mine and the firing pin is blocked until just before full lock just like my GI.
    The Gen 3 also has the welded up stamped charging handle that is prone to cracking. I have somewhere close to 10k rounds through mine and am still looking for the crack.
    There is a fellow at the Crossroads show that has some new slides made up for sale but I haven't got around to buying one.

I like my CMP GI carbine a lot better, but the Universal has been a hoot to shoot for 38 years so I really can't dislike it at all!

If I needed a carbine, if it checked out and wasn't cracked or obviously abused $300 is pretty cheap entertainment.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I had one and the only issue it had was that the rear sight wouldn't stay on. Shot real well.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I had an M1 carbine and to be honest it was a real let down to shoot.

I couldn't agree more. A coupla years ago, I was keen to pick up an IBM or Underwood M1 carbine (to complete a collection of WWII small arms made by typewriter companies), but after firing a couple of 'em I was completely underwhelmed and decided to buy a PPS43C instead (very glad I did:)). If I had to carry an M1 on a daily basis, I can see the benefit of the carbine. But for fun....well, I think I'd rather make a bunch of popcorn and watch others playing with 'em in The Pacific.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have an earlier one, its ok. Not great, bore muzzle gauges acceptable but not great, a little disconcerting for a gun that in no way could have seen the rounds a USGI could (and the rifing is near pristine, just loose tolerances is my guess).

Id walk at $300 and save up for a USGI model while they are still somewhat affordable (but like all stuff WWII they have jumped up the last year or two by leaps and bounds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom