• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Does anyone know if theres an easy way to clone or fake someones number and call out with it? For the last week or so i have gotten a lot of random calls from Va. Some were people saying wrong number others asked odd questions but two in particular have been interesting.

I had a incoming call and the guy insisted that I had been calling him and swore that I had placed the call. Then just hung up on me. A few minutes later called me back again, and then again later that day.

Then tonight I get another call from Va from a random number I answer it professionally as its my work cell and the random guy on the other end starts yelling at me. I said I dont know you and ive never called your number and get tells me someone took my phone and prank called him. (No possible company phone password locked and in my pocket plus I checked for butt dial) I eventually hang up on him as its 10pm and hes getting rude. Same guy calls back again and again and eventually begins to make off handed threatening remarks.

Am I just cursed with prank calls and drunks? Both times sounded like mature (in age at least) people legitimately pissed off at me and had my number.......

Any ideas out there?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    OK just got another call from said ******* this time threatening to split my head with a crowbar. Telling me he knows where I am gave me a general area and a load of other baloney.

Gave a ring to the local PD was told to pound sand and that they didn't care. Debating giving MSP a ring but doubt they will bother. Went checked the locks and moved a spare flashlight up to the bedroom.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's pretty easy if you know what you're doing. Sounds like someone is using your number to be an a**hole.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    It is possible to spoof a number on caller ID, but it's not easy. The phone company providing your service can determine the exact routing of a call, but this info is usually only released to law enforcement (Even though you can request it on your phone). Threatening or harassing calls fall into this category for the phone company. (At least that's the way it was in 1999)

Could also just be an elaborate prank or a sophisticated scam.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    I've been receiving lots of telemarketer calls from "local" numbers. Guess they figured out nobody would answer "Private Caller" calls anymore

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I get calls all the time that spoof a number that is several digits from mine. Its always the same way and its several times a day. They are all telemarketers or robo calls.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Ok so went and started looking at my phone records and apparently the same number called me several times the other day as well. Im guessing it was while I was in a bad area as I did not receive any of those calls. Makes me think its less of a prank give the person has now been calling me since Sunday.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I haven't used a pay service but the typical 411 searches return nothing helpful.

Just the Hampton/Norfolk Va area. I don't know nor have I known anyone there.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Before going all medieval on the person who the number comes back to, just as your number is getting spoofed, it is equally likely that that number is also the result of a spoof.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Please remember, in MD you need to have both parties consent to legally record the phone conversation - remember Linda Tripp?? ;)

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom