• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Now that I'm back to FT work, it's time to announce my first "recovery" build. An 18" SPR-style 5.56, it's one of a handful of configurations I haven't built previously.

Lower's all squared away, and I'm still missing some components for the upper at this time - BCG, CH, muzzle device, hand-guard, gas-system components, optic. That's where this thread comes into play.

Make some suggestions, SPR's are a new arena for me.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    By all that is holy, get a fluted barrel. My two SPR builds are heavy enough as it is with their SPR profile barrels, wish I had gotten fluted versions to cut some of the mass down.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    One the cheaper end....get a complete white oak upper, fluted. Mine shoots pretty well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    By all that is holy, get a fluted barrel. My two SPR builds are heavy enough as it is with their SPR profile barrels, wish I had gotten fluted versions to cut some of the mass down.

Barrel is already taken care of, it's not fluted, but it isn't as heavy as some other barrels on the market. Just arrived in from Texas today actually.

One the cheaper end....get a complete white oak upper, fluted. Mine shoots pretty well.

Buying a complete upper holds no appeal to me anymore, I've built so many different calibers and configurations for myself and others now, that building my own is the only way to go from now on. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    mk12 mod1. i believe you've seen my pictures. if not, text me and i'll send a few your way. :)

I've seen them, but I never save photos for future inspiration. :o

Probably won't be able to do a proper MK12 Mod 1 clone, my barrel is a mid-length gas instead of a rifle-length.

So it'll be SPR-ish....

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Brad,
    I have a bunch of SPR-ish parts ready to assemble (I may be calling you sometime soon :innocent0). Anyway, I have a WOA 18" rifle gas barrel, SLR Solo 15" 3-gun MLok rail, SLR Sentry 7 GB, MSTN QC Brake, and VLTOR MUR upper.

Should be nice.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad,
    I have a bunch of SPR-ish parts ready to assemble (I may be calling you sometime soon :innocent0). Anyway, I have a WOA 18" rifle gas barrel, SLR Solo 15" 3-gun MLok rail, SLR Sentry 7 GB, MSTN QC Brake, and VLTOR MUR upper.

Should be nice.

:thumbsup:

Should be a good shooter, always happy to build out more uppers. :)

If you want to meet up to use any of my gauges let me know.

When I get more parts in, we'll set something up. Still in planning/parts acquisition stage at the moment.

Acceptable.

What kind of tube you running?

LaRue Stealth 18", so that's another strike against a proper MK12 clone, but it should still deliver on the other SPR traits.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I put a Nordic free float on mine. WOA barrel rifle length gas. Shoots dime size 5 shot groups with the Nosler 69 CC and TAC. The Nordic tube was recommended by ferret and I must say I am very happy with it.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    no worries on the accuracy front, and i'll keep my personal feelings on "mister" larue for another day. ;) great stuff....but giant douche. :D

you'd be hard pressed to find flies on a standard phosphate AIM BCG, and the price is pretty damn nice. if you want the extra peace of mind, toolcraft BCGs can be had for a few bucks more with all the "proper" mil-spec stampings and such.

a standard yankee hill gas block oughta work just fine for you; take your pick of gas tubes. you know i'm happy to pin it if you want/need.

muzzle device would rest solely on the type of suppressor you eventually intend to run. I'd say go with something like the SDTA brake, because you can easily work your form 1 can around it. ;)

I have a nordic free float tube on an upper around here somewhere. If i can get the muzzle device off (lol?) to pull the barrel nut, i'd be persuaded to part with it for a song (and maybe a slow-dance).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Heh, I've heard he can be a 'polarizing' individual - but when the barrels are on sale, I'll give them a go. And if they shoot as well as they've been claimed to, bonus.

Hand-guard is one area I'm up in the air on, I've had plenty of the quad-rails, and thinking of going for something a bit less bulky this time around. I'll likely stick with a rifle-length though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Heh, I've heard he can be a 'polarizing' individual - but when the barrels are on sale, I'll give them a go. And if they shoot as well as they've been claimed to, bonus.

Hand-guard is one area I'm up in the air on, I've had plenty of the quad-rails, and thinking of going for something a bit less bulky this time around. I'll likely stick with a rifle-length though.

I've got a Midwest Gen II SS 12'' on my SPRish rifle length. It's very versatile(please ignore the piston).

Last edited:

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout

It's 12".

(giggity)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a nordic free float tube on an upper around here somewhere. If i can get the muzzle device off (lol?) to pull the barrel nut, i'd be persuaded to part with it for a song (and maybe a slow-dance).

Rocksett?

Well my singing voice isn't the best, but if I get drunk enough a slow-dance isn't out of the question...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's 12".

(giggity)

MrHerbert.jpg

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Yep, rocksett. Just been focused on aging my war hammer before assembly, haven't really focused on any gun stuff lately. Going to burger night at mutiny tonight, may boil it up afterward and see what's what.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you weren't too anal (hehe) about degreasing before using the rocksett, boiling hot water and time (2 to 3 hours) should get it to where you can pop it loose.

If you were real diligent in degreasing and used a lot of rocksett, at least 12 hours of soaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom