• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Previously regulated long Guns are now banned. AR-15 HBARs are not banned. Ergo, they are no longer regulated. There is no place to designate a regulated firearm as a rifle on the new registration forms. Likewise, there is no requirement to go through MSP for stripped lowers either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Previously regulated long Guns are now banned. AR-15 HBARs are not banned. Ergo, they are no longer regulated. There is no place to designate a regulated firearm as a rifle on the new registration forms. Likewise, there is no requirement to go through MSP for stripped lowers either.

For the 77R "Application to purchase a firearm" you are correct, for the "New Resident Registration" there is manufacturer, model, serial number, and I think caliber. Not sure if that has rifle on it or not.

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I'm a little confused, when stated no need to go through msp for stripped lowers. Are they C&C now? Or is that regarding moving into MD with a stripped lower that it does not have to be registered?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Incorrect. MSP requires a 77r for stripped lowers. See 3rd paragraph of advisory. Ask Nate at Engage about it.

see attached

Attachments

• 5-16-14 LD-FRS-14-003 - Receivers of Banned Assault Long Guns.pdf
      186.3 KB · Views: 339

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HBARs were NEVER regulated firearms.

MSP contends that stripped lowers are regulated, since you could built it into a pistol.

Max Power

Confused Reactionary
    1) why would you move to this liberal utopia?

2) Why would you voluntarily let anyone know what you do or do not have?

We are in the heart of Eurabia. The barbarians that were at the gate are now on the inside, courtesy of Mad Merkel. Lo Power, aka Frau Wifey, wants out before it is too late. A suitable position may be in the works in the Peoples' Republic of Maryland.

As to your second question, Max Power has three bar admissions that are the source of his livelihood. He would prefer to keep them. As distasteful as he finds living in a liberal cess pool with a high infestation rate, he may have no choice.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    We are in the heart of Eurabia. The barbarians that were at the gate are now on the inside, courtesy of Mad Merkel. Lo Power, aka Frau Wifey, wants out before it is too late. A suitable position may be in the works in the Peoples' Republic of Maryland.

As to your second question, Max Power has three bar admissions that are the source of his livelihood. He would prefer to keep them. As distasteful as he finds living in a liberal cess pool with a high infestation rate, he may have no choice.

Just because you work in Maryland does not mean you have to live in Maryland. The majority of Maryland is within commuting distance of another state. You will find many Maryland workers don't live here so before you commit look at a map. For the Washington Metro area the choices are usually Virginia, West Virginia, and sometimes Pennsylvania via I-270 or Delaware across the Bay Bridge. Baltimore area is usually Pennsylvania or Delaware via I-95 or train.

If you are not sure post a question to the forum and you will get advice from people who are doing it every day.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Isn't there a lawsuit to change that? I thought I had heard at one point that there was a lawsuit to change that.

There is, check back in a couple years and see how that turned out, IF the delays and appeals are exhausted by them.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Not exactly.. Engage Armament in Rockville has a case pending to overturn the MSP ruling that an SBR is subject to both the OAL of < 29" prohibition for SBR's as a copycat weapon and as a handgun.

I don't think Engage has yet sued MSP for the 77r requirement on stripped lowers but is pressuring MSP to correctly interpret the definition of a stripped lower as a regulated firearm, which by the definition in the statute, it is not.

Nate at Engage is the guy to ask about this stuff.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Last time I was there , lots of Bars in Virginia, and only a few charged a cover charge.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I thought Sweeney should of held up a HBAR and an AR and pointed "Legal, Illegal" "The law your honor is a crock of sh1t" .

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I thought Sweeney should of held up a HBAR and an AR and pointed "Legal, Illegal" "The law your honor is a crock of sh1t" .

And the libtard judge would have banned the HBAR as well.

Bear in mind that the ONLY reason HBARs are legal in this PRoMd is due to an exception written into the old weapons ban. That exception was to accommodate the US Military Shooting Teams and allow them to bring the Colt HBAR Target Rifles into the state without violating any state law. It was allowed to remain on the books with FSA2013 for the same reason. And an opinion from the MSP is all that allows us to buy HBARs other than the Colt HBAR Target model AR 15 in this state. We can ill afford to get into a pizzing match with the state over the issue. The dog sleeps... Let it...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Incorrect.

The reason HBARs are legal is due to the original Federal ban of 1994. The HBAR was a "target" rifle and was excluded to show that the anti-gunners were not against "legitimate" sporting use (target and hunting) rifles.

At the time, the ONLY target version of the AR was the Colt HBAR Match Sporter. So it got exempted.

MD only used the exact same Federal ban list for 1) the "regulate" long guns list in MD and then 2) the banned long gun list.

Look at the list in the Clinton "Crime Bill" for back then. Same exact list of rifles.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Incorrect.

The reason HBARs are legal is due to the original Federal ban of 1994. The HBAR was a "target" rifle and was excluded to show that the anti-gunners were not against "legitimate" sporting use (target and hunting) rifles.

At the time, the ONLY target version of the AR was the Colt HBAR Match Sporter. So it got exempted.

MD only used the exact same Federal ban list for 1) the "regulate" long guns list in MD and then 2) the banned long gun list.

Look at the list in the Clinton "Crime Bill" for back then. Same exact list of rifles.

You have your version I have mine... I was told that the Maryland law makers were not going to allow even HBAR AR 15s into the state until the Military petitioned them to allow it so their members could travel to the state for competitive shooting and not worry about violating state law. Maryland then later agreed to use the federal list, which excluded/exempted the Colt HBAR TARGET AR 15 from the ban. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom