• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I have been lucky enough to work with other instructors in MD, VA, PA, DE and NC. We have always been supportive of each others classes. I even refer folks to other instructors when I know I do not have a class coming up or if the type of training a student wants would be better served by another instructor.

I think it is in our collective interest to have a forum, if for no other reason than to keep aware of changes in NRA and MSP training requirements.

I also find I take away something when I have discussions with other instructors or assist in a class.

Just my $0.02!

I'll add anothe $.02 for this.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    thoughts on the new NRA blended learning?

As I understand it, it reduces but does not eliminate classroom time.

Other than that, unlike our Congress, I will not vote on it until I see what's in it.

If it is eventually applied to NRA Basic Rifle, it could be a very good thing ... Basic Rifle is 16 hours under the current scheme.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    you have no choice to vote on it. it will be implemented in the first quarter of this coming year. verse yourself and make damn sure you can get the folks to;

A. understand what it takes to get an HQL.
    B. explain that everything is done online concerning the state police.
    C. explain how their website is fickle with different operating systems and you need to download the most recent Adobe Acrobat, even though you just updated your current Acrobat.
    D. explain the state police no longer does fingerprinting and they have to go to a designated/qualified digital fingerprinting facility.
    E. ask them to go to the NRA website and participate in the blended learning program which may take time from the duties of caring for the kids, domestic chores and possibly sleeping.
    F. make an appointment with a NRA certified instructor to complete the process, with a blended learning module that will insure you the best experience ever.

sorry, TIME/COMPUTER CONSUMPTION/MONEY/TIME. until i see it in the works, i ain't sold, and will make my concerns know to HQ.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Not sure what NRA blended learning has to do with MD HQL???:confused::confused::confused:

oh, i see the confusion. a lot of folks who take the Basic Pistol course meet the maryland qualifications to get the HQL. i issue two certificates, one for the HQL and one from the NRA. it's a "two-fer" so to speak.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    oh, i see the confusion. a lot of folks who take the Basic Pistol course meet the maryland qualifications to get the HQL. i issue two certificates, one for the HQL and one from the NRA. it's a "two-fer" so to speak.

Yes, I do the same. It is twice the time (Basic Pistol is 8 hours), but folks get much better training and get to shoot a lot more. More than worth it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No time online relates to HQL. HQL is required to be a 4 hour classroom class plus one bang.

NRA blended learning will disconnect HQL from NRA Basic Pistol. Develope your new cirriculum now.

There. The instructor's forum has served it's first useful purpose. This demnstrates why it is needed.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    No time online relates to HQL. HQL is required to be a 4 hour classroom class plus one bang.

NRA blended learning will disconnect HQL from NRA Basic Pistol. Develope your new cirriculum now.

There. The instructor's forum has served it's first useful purpose. This demnstrates why it is needed.

Here is the link to the NRA announcement on timeframe for blended learning
    http://trainingupdate.nra.org/#3837

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    For sure the shift to on-line blended learning will be a new world for all NRA Training Counselors and Instructors.

I have used the NRA Basic and NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol classes as the basis for most of the 4 hours required for the MD HQL class. I have also spent time developing a stand alone class which draws a lot from the material presented in the NRA classes.

I have had several years of experience with on-line classes at the college/university level. I have had mixed results. I will see just how well the NRA offering goes. I would have preferred if an instructor could have the option of offering it in person or on-line.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    For sure the shift to on-line blended learning will be a new world for all NRA Training Counselors and Instructors.

I have used the NRA Basic and NRA F.I.R.S.T. Steps Pistol classes as the basis for most of the 4 hours required for the MD HQL class. I have also spent time developing a stand alone class which draws a lot from the material presented in the NRA classes.

I have had several years of experience with on-line classes at the college/university level. I have had mixed results. I will see just how well the NRA offering goes. I would have preferred if an instructor could have the option of offering it in person or on-line.

Ditto!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    you have no choice to vote on it. it will be implemented

I understand I meant vote figuratively as in expressing an opinion.

I am certain NRA's logic behind it is the tremendous number of students taking online college classes through colleges like University of Maryland University College. As I understand it more US military veterans and currently serving soldiers and sailors are enrolled online at UM UC then any other school in the country.

I am not sure how well it will immediately and drastically work with NRA basic classes. I reserve expressing my opinion until we see it in action. Too bad NRA does not want to even give us a preview

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Actually since 1978 as soon as you write something down or otherwise "fix it in a tangible medium of expression" it is covered by copyright and you can put the copyright symbol © on it, it is copyrighted even without the symbol. The symbol and registering with the copyright office do enhance your legal position. There is a whole lot more to copyright and here is a link to get you started:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/copyright

Brief quote, within "fair use" rules, so I don't violate their copyright.

Here is another good source of information particularly the FAQ's:
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

If someone makes a copy of your original composition (lesson plans, advertising, etc) they are in violation of the law. Contact them and complain, better yet have a lawyer do it.

To add the copyright symbol © in windows or on the forum hold the Alt key down and enter on the numeric keypad 0169

Thank you for your input...

And I believe the bolded portion above covers my statement... As it shows copywrite protection... But as you point out the registration of copywrite will have more weight in any court proceedings.

I have written things down and sent them to myself in a certified/registered USPS letter. Then I don't open or unseal that letter. If it ever came to a situation where I needed to prove when I first had a concept or wrote anything. That unopened letter with the USPS date seal would likely cinch the case for me.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thank you for your input...

And I believe the bolded portion above covers my statement... As it shows copywrite protection... But as you point out the registration of copywrite will have more weight in any court proceedings.

I have written things down and sent them to myself in a certified/registered USPS letter. Then I don't open or unseal that letter. If it ever came to a situation where I needed to prove when I first had a concept or wrote anything. That unopened letter with the USPS date seal would likely cinch the case for me.

You might want to read this:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...iling_something_to_yourself_doesn_t_work.html

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

From your link...
    But if you’re a starving artist, don’t worry. Copyright legislation that took effect on Jan. 1, 1978, dictates that all works are automatically copyrighted from the time that they are created and “fixed” in some recognizable way.

How is that not related to what I said? When I wrote...
    If it ever came to a situation where I needed to prove when I first had a concept or wrote anything. That unopened letter with the USPS date seal would likely cinch the case for me.

If it is automatically copywrited upon creation... The question of who had the idea first would be proved by who can show evidence with a date/time stating when it was created by them. While it isn't a "registered copywrite"... It damn sure shows the origin date... And that means unless the other party has an earlier letter... Your created and certified mailing shows you to have rights of first creation.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I understand I meant vote figuratively as in expressing an opinion.

I am certain NRA's logic behind it is the tremendous number of students taking online college classes through colleges like University of Maryland University College. As I understand it more US military veterans and currently serving soldiers and sailors are enrolled online at UM UC then any other school in the country.

I am not sure how well it will immediately and drastically work with NRA basic classes. I reserve expressing my opinion until we see it in action. Too bad NRA does not want to even give us a preview

The NRA Training Department did do a preview at the last NRA Annual Meeting in Nashville. Overall it was not bad. My only complaint was that there is still no way to prove the person who takes the on-line portion is the person you will get train.

I have seen this at colleges I have taught on-line classes. It is fine that the on-line class does not let the student leave a section/lesson/page until they successfully answer a question or set of questions, but there is no guarantee that the person who takes the on-line is the person you get to teach in person. Besides, there is no way to gauge how long it took the person to get through the on-line material.

I am not against slow learners or those who have some trouble with the various concepts set forth in the Basic Pistol class. I would prefer to know that first hand so I can be aware a student may need a bit more 'hand holding' when it comes to live fire.

I have never been a fan of on-line classes (for many reasons). I am looking forward to seeing the final product and just how well the first groups of students do when they actually hit the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom