• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Well I didn't have any C&R guns. So I had to change that. I picked up an M1 from 1942. It presumably saw action in both WWII and Korea because in 1965 the government saw it fit to be sent back to Springfield Armoury for a facelift and prep for a new war. While keeping the original guts (serial in the 330,000's) it received a new stock and its marching orders. However this one never made it to Vietnam, instead a man bought it, hardly fired it, passed and I bought it from the second owner who never got around to firing it (a sin, but my win).

SA 65, Springfield Armoury 1965 for the refurb:

Marks typical of the 1950's

I'm very pleased with my new old gun, cannot wait to go try it. It has to have been re-barreled because the bore is shiny as a new nickel!

- Brent

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Sweet! Very nice rifle indeed.

I am heading to AGC this afternoon to shoot one of mine and an 03A3.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Waitng on my enblocs to come in going to pick up 500 rounds at duffys this week, then its on

FYI, Wideners has enblocs...10/$10

I also picked up some ammo last weekend. Got a wood case of 500 Greek HXP M2 Ball for .45 a round. The best I could find. 80's dated in 20 rnd boxes.

Bringing that for the Garand and some other '06 for the 03A3.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Nice rifle, Enjoy yourself... is there a date engraved with a elect pencil on the bottom legs of the receiver ?

Ill have to check when i get home. Im at a hunt test with my dog today :party29:

SA 65, Springfield Armoury 1965 for the refurb:

... It has to have been re-barreled because the bore is shiny as a new nickel!

- Brent

You can read the barrel date on the side of the barrel when you lock the bolt open. Look in the gap which is exposed by the op rod and you'll see the barrel Drawing Number F6535448 followed by the date, perhaps 8 55 for August, 1955 or 9 42 for September 1942. I wonder if yours is from the mid 60s? The other numbers are the Heat Lot Code, by the way.

More:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2538432&postcount=2

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3350468&postcount=16

Great rifle, by the way! I like those six-digit rebuilds. They have multiple layers of history, which makes them extra interesting, and all 100% legit, plus they should be great shooters.

Yours looks really nice.

(Get more ammo and the cheapest en bloc from the CMP, by the way. Also, switch your sling around! Big discussion on rigging slings here
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3383970#post3383970

posts #44 - #54, with photos and a video.

Again, that's a really great rifle.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You can read the barrel date on the side of the barrel when you lock the bolt open. Look in the gap which is exposed by the op rod and you'll see the barrel Drawing Number F6535448 followed by the date, perhaps 8 55 for August, 1955 or 9 42 for September 1942. I wonder if yours is from the mid 60s? The other numbers are the Heat Lot Code, by the way.

More:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2538432&postcount=2

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3350468&postcount=16

Great rifle, by the way! I like those six-digit rebuilds. They have multiple layers of history, which makes them extra interesting, and all 100% legit, plus they should be great shooters.

Yours looks really nice.

(Get more ammo and the cheapest en bloc from the CMP, by the way. Also, switch your sling around! Big discussion on rigging slings here
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=3383970#post3383970

posts #44 - #54, with photos and a video.

Again, that's a really great rifle.[/QUOTE

I was not interested in the barrel date codes myself, I am curious if one of the receiver legs has a 3 digit date elect penciled in on it. I have 2 Springfield's that were bought at the same time and they both had there final rebuild 6-66 elect penciled on a leg.
    Coop

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I am curious if one of the receiver legs has a 3 digit date elect penciled in on it. I have 2 Springfield's that were bought at the same time and they both had there final rebuild 6-66 elect penciled on a leg.
    Coop

The OP posted a very clear photo of the electropenciled rebuild mark SA 2 - 65.

I copied that photo in my response.

Perhaps you're reading this on a phone and not getting the photos.

The OP also mentioned
    ... It has to have been re-barreled because the bore is shiny as a new nickel!
    so I told him how to find the barrel date on his rifle, as well as other links he might find useful.

So you have a pair of the Antichrist's Garands? Two rebuilds dated 6-66? That is interesting. Most people think the Devil favors the AK, but being no fool, I think he'd appreciate the Garand as much as anyone, damned or not.

Your 1966 rebuilds- what date and manufacturer are the barrels, if I may ask?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom