• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    What does this really mean? Are the ~22K members going to stand up now that they've denounced it?

I'm looking for tangible benefits from this?

I personal look at this like any other UNION statement. It was not a poll of the members, but a statement from the leadership. Most if not all unions support the Democratic party, but all union members do not vote that way.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I think its not so much confrontational. I believe FOP are still for gun control and agree with the core of the bill.

I think this is their way of saying "your doing it wrong" and they cant have something that will just be challenged in court.

Well to. The extent that it helps maybe. I think they support strong background checks. I think that the court will not strike down background checks, regardless of any of our personal opinionions on the matter.

I think that law enforcement is justifiably concerned that if they don't change the permit law to shall issue the court will make it Must issue.

I think we can agree that the court may likely uphold objective standards and training requirements ( again our opinions are not relevant).. the lack of movement on this issue is telling the courts that this is a willful violation. Sometimes the court throws difference to the political branches out the window think Brown vs the Board of ed. And compels a specific remedy when they see no other practical alternative.

I know the police do not want that. And frankly it may hurt in long run if now the ' nut with a gun' is also a CCW holder.

We do not live in an ideal world. And we do need public support.
    So I can understand the police perspective.

We are better served by laws that law enforcement has a hand in, and we can still appose it in whole or part. In fact if we can show law enforcement a better way I think we will have more say than we do know.

Like it or not a Bill we can agree with in part with is best we can hope for at this time.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Yea

No my friend. But note I didn't mean to indicate they were non-political, I stated they were nonpartisan, or at least that is what I meant by "politically neutral" :). A large difference there. I should have worded more clearly. They are very political.

Nonpartisan sounds better.
    Thanks

mig201

Jan 26, 2013
    Bowie
    good

I feel that this is about the strongest message they can make. I also believe that privately many of the rank and file officers are with us. It may be in our best interest to listen to what they propose, and it couldn't hurt. They are a potential strong ally. Their duty first and foremost is to see their breathren go home every day. I also think they would be heavy on the criminal side, while also seeing that law abiding citizens keep and enjoy our rights

GLOCKMED

Sep 8, 2012
    I believe that the FOP supported the Republican candidate in the last election for Governor. So the FOP is not A Political. I do believe that the line officers share keeping criminals in jail and having stiffer penalties for the gun crimes while maintaining the rights for the people.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Owe'Malley could care less what anyone or any organization says. I believe his master has told him and the other blue state govenors to pass these types of laws because the King knows they can't get it through congress right now. He also knows that he could bankrupt the NRA and or others like SAF when they have to sue all the blue states. Then he is counting on the Supreme Court to be fully on his side by the time the law suites get there. Then he has done two things. Destroy the pro 2A groups and disarm everyone. From there it's your guess. My crystal ball has been very clear in the last few years, I don't think it has hazed on me at all.

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Owe'Malley could care less what anyone or any organization says. I believe his master has told him and the other blue state govenors to pass these types of laws because the King knows they can't get it through congress right now. He also knows that he could bankrupt the NRA and or others like SAF when they have to sue all the blue states. Then he is counting on the Supreme Court to be fully on his side by the time the law suites get there. Then he has done two things. Destroy the pro 2A groups and disarm everyone. From there it's your guess. My crystal ball has been very clear in the last few years, I don't think it has hazed on me at all.

TD91- I agree with your assessment that the President is expecting his blue state leaderships to deliver on what he can't pass through Congress. Why else would they be sharing the arbitrary number of 10 as a magazine limit? Where did they number come from anyway? Is there any rhyme or reason to it? I'm yet to hear anyone speak as to how they came up with their magical number.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013
    Very good statement, especially this part,

We need legislation that will withstand legal challenges, or not face legal challenges at all. We need legislation that is properly vetted, studied, and reviewed for unintended consequences, and unnecessary, improper, or unenforceable restrictions.

They didn't use the words, 'common sense' and didn't come across as confrontational. That is important for all parties in this debate.

:thumbsup:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    TD91- I agree with your assessment that the President is expecting his blue state leaderships to deliver on what he can't pass through Congress. Why else would they be sharing the arbitrary number of 10 as a magazine limit? Where did they number come from anyway? Is there any rhyme or reason to it? I'm yet to hear anyone speak as to how they came up with their magical number.

Me and mini me makes mini me look even smaller.

Law suits are expensive but unlike politics it is not cost prohibitive. Do not lose heart the courts are the one place the bully pulpit of potus does not help.

We are not dead yet. And if they should lose the senate ....
    And in NY the magic number is lucky 7..

The more time potus spends out of Washington the less presidential he will look.But it will not mater if there is no challenger.

We need to find that candidate.. and we had better not squabble all the way to the convention.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Any publicly available release of this position? I'd like to start posting it to get it viral.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I'm glad they finally went public with this. I had heard that they did take a stand against this on the 6th I just couldn't find any proof until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom