• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So I've recently had a cousin have his AR-15 stolen from his house. Once he realized his house was broken into he called the cops. As the house was in Baltimore City, I highly doubt the cops are very concerned with finding the rifle or the other things stolen as I'm sure they are busy as hell with other more important things. We are all pretty sure his rifle will never be seen again. Either way he was telling me that after the interview the cops told him that if they found the rifle and the serial numbers were still intact or if the rifle wasn't used in the commission of a crime, they would return the rifle to him.

One thing I don't understand, assuming the gun is used in the commission of a crime, how is it legal for the state to destroy personal property after it is found. If the property was illegally taken from an owner, shouldn't it be returned to the owner when found? How is it relevant that the gun was used in the commission of a crime? Isn't it illegal seizure of property if the state destroys a firearm without due compensation?

I mean if someone steals your car and commits a felony hit and run, would it be ok for cops to auction your car off or destroy it without attempting to pay you for it or even give it back? I guess I don't understand how the current policy is constitutional. Anyone smarter than me on the subject have an input?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Well without registration and access to ATF records how are cops supposed to find the owners? Say you bought the gun in a FTF sale......how am I supposed to find the owner? Or say you bought the gun in VA when you lived there, what records do we search to know it's yours? Antiques? How do I find the owner if there is no serial number? Not in favor of registration just making you think.

If the gun is used in a homicide it stays as evidence longer than you will ever be alive for appeals.....so that's out.

As far as the illegal seizure your thought process is flawed.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Well without registration and access to ATF records how are cops supposed to find the owners? Say you bought the gun in a FTF sale......how am I supposed to find the owner? Or say you bought the gun in VA when you lived there, what records do we search to know it's yours? Antiques? How do I find the owner if there is no serial number? Not in favor of registration just making you think

From the police report that the owner files when he found out it was stolen?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    From the police report that the owner files when he found out it was stolen?

Yes and that does happen however most of the recovered weapons aren't reported stolen. That crappy old Iver johnson, rohm, and Davis people just chalked up as a loss. There are millions of them floating around where the original owners have no idea where they are. I've recovered hundreds of guns and a lot are reported stolen (usually your glocks, Rugers, and nicer guns) but more of them are not.

My partner recently recovered a 6 inch nickel Python in 95% from a 16 year old......not reported stolen. 2000 bucks not reported.

I've recoverd 3 US MIL marked 1911s, none reported stolen.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    Report and then MSP?

In 1985 I reported to MSP the theft from my Home of a Colt 32 Auto that I had purchased from a FFL in Maryland during 1978. About 5 years latter Annapolis police detective contacts me, knows that I had purchased the pistol, but not that I had reported it stolen. Gun was used in a homicide or suicide. I showed him the theft report, and said I wanted it back. Took about a year, and several phone calls, but eventually I did get it back. Needless to say I have several gun safes now.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Some good talking points of thought here. Was the rifle insured against the loss? If so, it shouldn't matter that the property was returned might be another paradigm to think on.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    In 1985 I reported to MSP the theft from my Home of a Colt 32 Auto that I had purchased from a FFL in Maryland during 1978. About 5 years latter Annapolis police detective contacts me, knows that I had purchased the pistol, but not that I had reported it stolen. Gun was used in a homicide or suicide. I showed him the theft report, and said I wanted it back. Took about a year, and several phone calls, but eventually I did get it back. Needless to say I have several gun safes now.

You did not get it back if it was a murder......must have been a suicide.

We do give them back.......after a lot of red tape and laziness.........I recently helped a member here get there stolen gun back.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Yes and that does happen however most of the recovered weapons aren't reported stolen. That crappy old Iver johnson, rohm, and Davis people just chalked up as a loss. There are millions of them floating around where the original owners have no idea where they are. I've recovered hundreds of guns and a lot are reported stolen (usually your glocks, Rugers, and nicer guns) but more of them are not.

My partner recently recovered a 6 inch nickel Python in 95% from a 16 year old......not reported stolen. 2000 bucks not reported.

Do you guys check reports filed in other states? Is there is some sort of nationwide database for stolen guns?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Those where mine.

(Worth a shot anyways)

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    He'll be lucky to get them back if they recover them and they had no involvement. My father had several handguns stolen. A few years went by and he called to check. One of them was no longer in NCIC. After some checking that one had been recovered by them and destroyed. The report said they could not contact him despite his home, cell, and work number along with his address never changing.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I've had several stolen guns that we recovered and returned to their owners. And I've had people out of state who I contacted who weren't willing to come get them. Fwiw

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I know in PA if a stolen gun is used in a homicide it will not be returned. The Gun Bunker had 3 of the guns from their break in used in murders and they will not be getting them back. And they are LEO's, doesn't matter.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    So I've recently had a cousin have his AR-15 stolen from his house. Once he realized his house was broken into he called the cops. As the house was in Baltimore City, I highly doubt the cops are very concerned with finding the rifle or the other things stolen as I'm sure they are busy as hell with other more important things. We are all pretty sure his rifle will never be seen again. Either way he was telling me that after the interview the cops told him that if they found the rifle and the serial numbers were still intact or if the rifle wasn't used in the commission of a crime, they would return the rifle to him.

One thing I don't understand, assuming the gun is used in the commission of a crime, how is it legal for the state to destroy personal property after it is found. If the property was illegally taken from an owner, shouldn't it be returned to the owner when found? How is it relevant that the gun was used in the commission of a crime? Isn't it illegal seizure of property if the state destroys a firearm without due compensation?

I mean if someone steals your car and commits a felony hit and run, would it be ok for cops to auction your car off or destroy it without attempting to pay you for it or even give it back? I guess I don't understand how the current policy is constitutional. Anyone smarter than me on the subject have an input?

If it was used in commission of a crime they have to keep it as evidence in case they ever make an arrest etc?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Hopefully that will change after the Supreme Court opines on this very issue, this session.

Where the government can not keep custody of seized firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom