• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have my first can a can in jail, so I have a noob question. I got my can primarily for my Ruger 22/45 and a TBD .22 rifle, but would it also be possible to use the same can on a .22 magnum or .17HMR rifle? I assume no, but wanted to double check with people who know what they're talking about.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The specs on the can will let you know. What did you get?
    Some are full auto rated with 22. Some are rated 22 mag up to 5.7, some are 22 LR only.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    It's a Yankee Hill MITE according to my copy of the Form 4, I'll google it. Thanks for the responses!

Edit: piss, looks like I'm out of luck. Sadly there is a stainless steel model of the MITE that shoots .22 mag and .17hmr but that's not the version I got.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Mine comes apart for cleaning at least but I should have done more homework before buying. The $200 tax, which is really $300 after getting fingerprinted, photographed, and taking half a day off work to submit the retarded forms, is such a huge pain in the ass. These should be $5 stamps, not $200.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Mine comes apart for cleaning at least but I should have done more homework before buying. The $200 tax, which is really $300 after getting fingerprinted, photographed, and taking half a day off work to submit the retarded forms, is such a huge pain in the ass. These should be $5 stamps, not $200.

Its $200 because a Thompson was $200 in 1938 and that doubled the price. They used the flat $200 for all the stamps.

There shouldn't be any stamp required for a device that makes ranges more neighborhood friendly.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Its $200 because a Thompson was $200 in 1938 and that doubled the price. They used the flat $200 for all the stamps.

There shouldn't be any stamp required for a device that makes ranges more neighborhood friendly.

While it is true that a Thompson was around $200 in 1934, I have never seen evidence that the $200 was chosen for any reason other than it was worth roughly 3 months of wages for the average man and it was a nice round number.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    It's a Yankee Hill MITE according to my copy of the Form 4, I'll google it. Thanks for the responses!

Edit: piss, looks like I'm out of luck. Sadly there is a stainless steel model of the MITE that shoots .22 mag and .17hmr but that's not the version I got.

You may be able to have it recored with SS. YMT might do it, if not there are a couple of places that can. Depending on the suppressor, it could be anywhere from 200 to 400 to do it. If it comes apart, thats half the battle. It really need to shoot those calibers check into it. That would save the year wait and extra cost of buying another can. Only problem is cans are addictive so you may want another....

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I guess you will just have to get another can. Darn!

I am going to get another Sparrow. Seems all my rimfire firearms have threaded barrels now and my wife wants everything suppressed after experiencing the benefits. She said, hey, can we get suppressers for the 9mm and .45's? Uh, yeah, let me look into it. Lol!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Think I'll spring for a 5.56 one once my .22 one gets out of jail. I don't have any kids and I can't take my money with me :shrug:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    While it is true that a Thompson was around $200 in 1934, I have never seen evidence that the $200 was chosen for any reason other than it was worth roughly 3 months of wages for the average man and it was a nice round number.

Yeah it was done to cut down on the sales and make it prohibited for most people to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom