• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    My daughter needs an HQL. She's 29 years old, Federal employee, College graduate and a very well adjusted person. She has survived two assaults. She has had to deal with several stalkers. It's time she took her personal protection to the next level. Not talking about CCW at this point(she lives in Md. and works on Fed property so...). She has never owned a controlled weapon so I guess she needs the class as well. She has very limited handgun experience(not wanting to teach her any of my bad habits).

So, my question is, where does she start? She lives in MoCo but is very mobile and is very familiar with the Bmore area having lived in Fed Hill for a couple years. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Last edited:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    yes an HQL is in order. suffice it to say she may qualify for a wear/carry permit but her reluctance indicates to me, does she even wants a gun?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As noted, talk to CypherPunk, who teaches at the Frederick IWLA (which is in Monocacy just north of Urbana - so very quick from Montgomery County). An NRA Master Instructor, Ben Kelkye ( http://kelkye.com/course-registration/ ) helps teach many of these courses too.

From the schedule, the ones that might be relevant for your daughter are ...

MD Handgun Qualification License (HQL)
    Tuesday, September 1
    5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

Monday, October 5

Monday, November 2

NRA Basic Pistol - LADIES ONLY
    Thursday, November 5
    6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
    Friday, November 6
    6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
    Saturday, November 7
    8 a.m. to Finish

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Have you and your daughter considered a carbine? If for HD and not CCW, a carbine in 5.56 is a much more effective and controllable weapon. You're more likely to put more rounds on target with a much more effective cartridge without requiring a lot of practice.

Alternatively, a pistol caliber carbine can be just as good. No HQL needed in either case. Bring it home the and start training the same day.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Isn't there a new place opening around Frederick that was offering training? I wish I could remember the name:sad20:

There are 2 new ranges in FDRK both of which offer training classes

Heritage - gets pretty good reviews; there is a thread here which elaborates

The machine gun nest - training offered by L5S1 tactical. All former military and got rave reviews from my wife when she took their basic pistol class 2 years ago.

---
    Shamr0ck

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Do we need to get a few MDSers together, and leave a body on your daughters doorstep, so the others get the idea to leave her alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom