• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Have a Glock 21 and a Glock 19 and also have some fat fingers. How much, if any, can I clearance the trigger guard to keep it from literally rubbing my middle finger raw? It seems like I may only need minimal re-shaping in the area that my punch is pointing to in the picture below. Basically rounding that area instead of the sharper right angle it has. And I know it may make the gun un-sellable, but that's not a concern. I just want to make them both more comfortable to shoot. Is this safe to do?

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Although I have seen it done to some Glock pistols and the owners are quite proud of their work... I would not cut away ANY material from the frame/trigger guard area. However, as the surface is a rough one with a bit of "grit" to it for gripping the pistol. And the "grip" surface is not necessary in that area (bottom of the trigger guard. I do see why a bit of fine polishing on the surface to create a smooth and slick area which will not be able to abrade ones finger, could be advantageous. A very fine grit polishing cloth could remove the rough surface without removing much if any of the structural properties of the frame/trigger guard area.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Are you trying to undercut the guard basically?

Yes. Pretty much so. Right where the punch is resting, rubs the heck out of my finger. I'd be rounding/re-shaping more so than actually cutting it down, if that makes sense? I did the same thing to a HiPoint carbine trigger because it (the sharp angle) was irritating to my trigger finger. After rounding it, it is great....but it is also a $200 gun. ;)

Sell it and shoot your SR1911 instead...:D

Lol...I was shooting that yesterday as a matter of fact. It is by far my favorite and the one I shoot best with. :party29:

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I undercut the trigger guard on my Gen 4 19. Made a world of difference. It's the one on the right.

a68671ce79048a095ea12384c2d4b124.jpg

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Awesome. Thanks for the pic! I see the Gen 3 and 4 has a noticeably thicker trigger guard than the Gen 2...my 21 and 19 are both Gen 3, but I have a G19 Gen 2 coming as well. I'm curious to see how much more, if any, room my sausage fingers will have with that one, compared to the Gen 3?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    The lack of finger grooves in addition to the lower profile trigger guard on the gen2 helps with the knuckle pain.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    The lack of finger grooves in addition to the lower profile trigger guard on the gen2 helps with the knuckle pain.

I saw online somewhere a tricked out Gen 3 or 4 that had the finger grooves (which I HATE), smoothed/ground off and had like a Talon grip applied, and it looked like a very sweet end result. I may have to go a little outside of the box on this one. ;)

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Just grab the dremel and go for it!

I didn't want to get too carried away...lol.

I actually just used a medium drywall sanding screen wrapped around a small piece of pipe....about the same diameter as my finger, and after just about 10 minutes, and very little material removed, it (the G21) feels much better.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have a Glock 21 and a Glock 19 and also have some fat fingers. How much, if any, can I clearance the trigger guard to keep it from literally rubbing my middle finger raw? It seems like I may only need minimal re-shaping in the area that my punch is pointing to in the picture below. Basically rounding that area instead of the sharper right angle it has. And I know it may make the gun un-sellable, but that's not a concern. I just want to make them both more comfortable to shoot. Is this safe to do?

I guess it's apples and oranges but, when I am shopping for a new bow, I pick it up, draw it, and if it doesn't suit me, I move on to the next. I understand pistol collecting is different but, for me, I'm not gonna drop a pile on something that doesn't fit me. OK, I' moving on...
    I do like the customization, though.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I didn't want to get too carried away...lol.

I actually just used a medium drywall sanding screen wrapped around a small piece of pipe....about the same diameter as my finger, and after just about 10 minutes, and very little material removed, it (the G21) feels much better.
    You probably need a bit more radius on the trigger guard, that should pose no issues with integrity.. :thumbsup:

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I guess it's apples and oranges but, when I am shopping for a new bow, I pick it up, draw it, and if it doesn't suit me, I move on to the next. I understand pistol collecting is different but, for me, I'm not gonna drop a pile on something that doesn't fit me. OK, I' moving on...
    I do like the customization, though.

Understood but I've yet to buy a new pistol that the FFL let me shoot first, so it really is like apples to watermelons IMO...I'm not experienced enough as a shooter to know how different my new gun will feel when actually shooting it as opposed to holding/fondling it in the showroom. I guess that'll come in time. :o

Just be warned you'll violate Glocks warranty by modifying the frame.

Ooops. :innocent0

You probably need a bit more radius on the trigger guard, that should pose no issues with integrity.. :thumbsup:

That's all I did. Very subtle but won't really know until I shoot it again.

Thanks guys.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Got pics?

Yessir.:)

It is those little touches that really make a firearm "your" gun. Good to ask first, though. Hope it works out.

Thanks. I went just enough to where it feels good (at least better) dry firing. If it's still a little irritating, I'll take a little more off. Just rounding that edge/hump a bit may be enough.

And it's hard to tell by that pic, but the thickness of the trigger guard is not "thinned" at all....just blended and smoothed on that edge directly below the very bottom of the trigger

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had one Glock, never fired it before I sold it. I just couldn't get to like the grip angle. BUT if I had and decided I liked it, I would have relieved the bottom inside of the trigger guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom