• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I just came from the new freds and am $677 lighter.
    I have been wanting a nice 1911 for many many years. They had a bunch of new basic rock aromery 1911 for about $500. Not a over all bad price for a 1911. But in the back of the case was one for some reason caught my eye. It was almost hidden in the case. I asked to see it. It was a soringfield 1911A1 wit niche parkerised finish, the trigger had the holes in it and skeleton hammer , adjustanle sights and nice wood grips. In the case was a holster and mag holder with extra magazine. The price was hard to beat. Then I saw it was used. I dont think this pistol was shot that much if at all that is how good it looked. The one thing I didnt like was that the bore lock that was in the case was extra charge. I tried to get them to not charge for it because it was in the case and should have been included. (If it was taken off the shelf tgat wiukd be diffrent), so they got me for the price of the lock. Not hapoy about that just seames shady to me.

Looking around I think this may be one if the "loaded" springfield 1911A1 if this is the case I think i got a real good deal. ???

If anyone knows about this gun let me know

Will this take standard gi 1911 gi magazines?

How about custom aftermarket barrels or otger accessories?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I just came from the new freds and am $677 lighter.
    I have been wanting a nice 1911 for many many years. They had a bunch of new basic rock aromery 1911 for about $500. Not a over all bad price for a 1911. But in the back of the case was one for some reason caught my eye. It was almost hidden in the case. I asked to see it. It was a soringfield 1911A1 wit niche parkerised finish, the trigger had the holes in it and skeleton hammer , adjustanle sights and nice wood grips. In the case was a holster and mag holder with extra magazine. The price was hard to beat. Then I saw it was used. I dont think this pistol was shot that much if at all that is how good it looked. The one thing I didnt like was that the bore lock that was in the case was extra charge. I tried to get them to not charge for it because it was in the case and should have been included. (If it was taken off the shelf tgat wiukd be diffrent), so they got me for the price of the lock. Not hapoy about that just seames shady to me.

Looking around I think this may be one if the "loaded" springfield 1911A1 if this is the case I think i got a real good deal. ???

If anyone knows about this gun let me know

Will this take standard gi 1911 gi magazines?

How about custom aftermarket barrels or otger accessories?

Good lord man, I hope you just have really fat fingers!!!

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    $677 doesn't sound bad for a nice 1911, but is kind of high for a used one. Not sure which brand you bought, could you please tell us again. Most important is if you are happy with the gun than paying slightly more for it will be soon forgotten. Did you buy a Rock River Arms, Springfield???

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I bought a Springfield armory 1911A1.
    I am still trying to determine the exact model.
    It looks like one of the "loaded" models but the sights are not the night sights and it doesn't have the situations on the front.

It has adjustable rear sight with Springfield stamped on it. The trigger has the holes cut out the hamer has the cut out. It also has silver barrel and barrel bushing. Comes with the plastic holster and mag case with two mags

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I would not suggest buying anything from Fred's. There are other places selling weapons in Charles County; all of them have better prices. And then there's the well-known story of the ammo log, reason enough in its own right to dissuade a free citizen from patronizing that establishment.

The 1911 you bought is most likely the Range Officer version. Nothing is silver, but the trigger is AL, the bbl is ss, the hammer is skeletonized, and it comes with a cheap plastic holster and mag pouch, two mags, and a lock, although it sounds as if they double-tapped you on the lock. They usually cost 675-700 brand new, so paying the cost of a new one to get a used one is actually a pretty good deal by Fred standards.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The lock is one of the stupid Maryland compliance locks.
    This also included tax and MD fees.
    I doubt that it is a range officer model as the ones I see have range officer in the grips. This one doesn't have that on the grips. It does have the Springfield logo on them.
    I do know lots of places have handguns around southern MD and could be cheaper. That does no good if they don't have what I am looking.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    2012-06-28_11-31-56_780.jpg

This is a Range Officer. Sometimes they have the name on the grips, sometimes not. In any case, if it is used, the grips could be different. SA doesn't make any other models, to my knowledge, that fulfill your criteria.

If a store in MD doesn't have what you need, just order it online to Keepshooting in Waldorf, or another local FFL.

http://automaticaccuracy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-06-28_11-31-56_780.jpg

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I was just in big dog over in king George.
    They had a s.s. version of this pistol new for $1099.00

If I had bought one and had it sent to an ffl like Keepshooting. I would have to pay shipping then the transfer fee. Depending on where you order the gun you may still end up paying sails tax. I have heard stories of another somd dealer charging sailes tax for guns sent to him. So in this case Freds was not that bad of a deal. I saved a few hundred on this gun over buying new.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    No experience with Big Dog's, although SA does make a SS 1911 that usually sells for 1k-1100.

MD dealer's can't charge sales tax for products ordered from out of state, so if one tries, go elsewhere. Some internet dealers, such as Bud's, have free shipping, so your price for a brand new one from there would be 690 plus 35 dollars transfer fee for Keepshooting.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    We know they can't but a lot of people where say that this one shop was charging tax. But law we are suppose to clame and pay tax on what we but on line but no one ever does

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I was just in big dog over in king George.
    They had a s.s. version of this pistol new for $1099.00

If I had bought one and had it sent to an ffl like Keepshooting. I would have to pay shipping then the transfer fee. Depending on where you order the gun you may still end up paying sails tax. I have heard stories of another somd dealer charging sailes tax for guns sent to him. So in this case Freds was not that bad of a deal. I saved a few hundred on this gun over buying new.

any regulated firearm purchased at Big Dogs (and its on the MD list) is transferred to All Pawn in white plains (at no charge, they drive it over), then you pay the $35 ($25 + $10) fee at All Pawn, complete the paperwork and wait your 7 days. pick up happens at All Pawn. I believe this is still this way.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    any regulated firearm purchased at Big Dogs (and its on the MD list) is transferred to All Pawn in white plains (at no charge, they drive it over), then you pay the $35 ($25 + $10) fee at All Pawn, complete the paperwork and wait your 7 days. pick up happens at All Pawn. I believe this is still this way.

Yep, exactly how it works. They drive the guns up every Monday morning to All Pawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom