• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    Outside of it being the state out west, can someone explain "utah" in its context to guns, gun classes, Marylanders, why "utah" is used, etc? This isn't the first time I've seen it, and I've seen it listed in classes before (usually around the CCW offerings, if I'm not mistaken).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Outside of it being the state out west, can someone explain "utah" in its context to guns, gun classes, Marylanders, why "utah" is used, etc? This isn't the first time I've seen it, and I've seen it listed in classes before (usually around the CCW offerings, if I'm not mistaken).
    It's Utah non resident ccl that can be taken by anyone other than Utah resident.. It's good in several states that recognize the license.

goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    It's Utah non resident ccl that can be taken by anyone other than Utah resident.. It's good in several states that recognize the license.

So, let me see if I get this straight...

In Maryland, based on the new-ish laws, you are not allowed to carry unless you are a guard/police/etc or you can prove that your life has been threatened multiple times (to the best of what I understand based on what I was told at the HQL class). Meaning conceal carry is basically impossible to get for most of us.

This Utah non-resident CCL allows you to carry?? Does Maryland allow you to carry if you have a Utah CCL? How is it different from the normal CCW that Maryland typically rejects you for? And what states around here allow you to carry with a utah CCL?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    So, let me see if I get this straight...

In Maryland, based on the new-ish laws, you are not allowed to carry unless you are a guard/police/etc or you can prove that your life has been threatened multiple times (to the best of what I understand based on what I was told at the HQL class). Meaning conceal carry is basically impossible to get for most of us.

This Utah non-resident CCL allows you to carry?? Does Maryland allow you to carry if you have a Utah CCL? How is it different from the normal CCW that Maryland typically rejects you for? And what states around here allow you to carry with a utah CCL?
    It only allows you to carry in the states that recognize it.. Maryland is not one..

So if you like to travel.. Let's say Virginia.. You can carry concealed there using the Utah permit.

Last I know.. 30 states.. more or less.. has reciprocity with Utah.

goatcheese

Jul 1, 2015
    It only allows you to carry in the states that recognize it.. Maryland is not one..

So if you like to travel.. Let's say Virginia.. You can carry concealed there using the Utah permit.

Last I know.. 30 states.. more or less.. has reciprocity with Utah.

That makes more sense. So let's say you're driving to Georgia from Maryland, you would have to keep your gun and ammo separate in a trunk (or the back of a vehicle) until you arrive in Virginia, to which then you could get your gun out of the trunk and conceal carry, go through North Carolina with the same, then not carry through South Carolina (as I recall, you can keep your gun in your glove box or center console in SC) since they don't recognize the Utah conceal carry license, then once you arrive in Georgia, you can conceal carry.

It's odd, but it's better than nothing.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That makes more sense. So let's say you're driving to Georgia from Maryland, you would have to keep your gun and ammo separate in a trunk (or the back of a vehicle) until you arrive in Virginia, to which then you could get your gun out of the trunk and conceal carry, go through North Carolina with the same, then not carry through South Carolina (as I recall, you can keep your gun in your glove box or center console in SC) since they don't recognize the Utah conceal carry license, then once you arrive in Georgia, you can conceal carry.

It's odd, but it's better than nothing.
    You got it.. ;)

As long you follow each states law and fed transport law between states you are good to go.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I got my Utah CFP after taking Mo's class. I'm happy to say that I'm currently in Free America, vacationing with family. I kept my gear locked I the trunk until stopping for lunch and gas in Virginia. Since then, my P64 has been on my hip, with the exception of yesterday on account of touring moonshine distilleries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom