• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I would like to get a Kershaw Blur and am Wordering about finishes. Do you think the silver wash/frosted blade or the black wash blade will be better hiding wear?

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have a few as edc knives. They are great IMO. I like the black coated blades personally. While they will show some wear, the finish is exceptionally strong. I have cut aluminum cans and abused the blades and the finish while it will show some wear, has yet to scratch through. I have been carrying one for about 6 years now and the blade finish is still intact. It has scratches from use but nothing has gone through the finish.

The butt end of the knife looks a little chewed up from using it to open beer bottles with, but it doesn't bother me. I like the honest wear from a tool.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    stonewashed or blackwash hide wear best, DLC is harder than the steel itself, and doesn't really "wear" or scratch easily, but if it is scratched the silver scratch on a black blade really stands out, although most of the time it's a bit of the material you cut rubbing off onto the DLC. IMO the S30V version is the one to get, a gigantic upgrade on the most useable Blur blade shape. Unless of course there is a handle color you just have to have, you want KAI's crappy serrations, or you want to be handicapped by a Tanto.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    stonewashed or blackwash hide wear best, DLC is harder than the steel itself, and doesn't really "wear" or scratch easily, but if it is scratched the silver scratch on a black blade really stands out, although most of the time it's a bit of the material you cut rubbing off onto the DLC. IMO the S30V version is the one to get, a gigantic upgrade on the most useable Blur blade shape. Unless of course there is a handle color you just have to have, you want KAI's crappy serrations, or you want to be handicapped by a Tanto.

That looks like one I'd want. Is it a better grad of steel than most Kershaws?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That looks like one I'd want. Is it a better grad of steel than most Kershaws?

The standard 14C28N is a good "budget" steel, in use it's about the same as good AUS8A(old spyderco, cold steel) or 440C. IT sharpens and polishes really easy, and takes a good edge, holds an edge about as well as any knife in the price range. The next small step up in 154CM or VG10 holds an edge noticeably better, and they are slightly tougher. S30V is a giant step up in holding a stable, "working edge", and FAR tougher, doesn't polish or sharpen as easily. It is probably the best steel for the money, only downside is it takes a bit more work to sharpen, and while it can take a fine edge, it doesn't hold that hair splitting edge any longer than "lesser" steels. Once it dulls slightly and stabilizes, it will stay sharp several times longer than 14C28N, and resists rolling and chipping better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom