• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    Can anyone recommend a somewhat light weight muzzle brake for my 8.5" pistol? Looking to tame the muzzle rise. Thanks.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    If your eventually going to put a suppressor on it, saker 762 muzzle brake or the gemtech Jake break I think they call it.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Also,Just beware some ammo is finicky with the muzzle break and won't cycle the round if it's subsonic. Not saying all subsonics but the MAST ammo without a can doesn't have enough back pressure to cycle it out of my 8.5

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I've put a Troy Claymore Muzzle Brake on a 300 BLK bolt action and AR build, both with 16-inch barrels ...

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Claymore-Muzzle-Brake-7-62mm/dp/B00420NDWG
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...e-762mm-ar-10-dpms-lr-308-5-8-24-thread-matte

You'll note the reviews from the above are generally positive. I didn't do a before-and-after test, but muzzle rise doesn't seem to be much of an issue from either of the rifles with this brake. Some of this could be attributed to barrel length/weight of course.

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    No suppressor plans in the near future but could be down the road. Looked at the claymore, I like the design and the reviews but at 4oz I think its to heavy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

this video is pretty awesome for checking out flash-hiding capabilities...not that it really matters for 99.99999% of us...(notice how badly the spikes dynacomp sucks at reducing flash...yowza)

These videos aren't specifically for the .300 BLK, but the physics shouldn't really be all that different. You'll notice that linear devices don't really do anything substantial in reducing recoil or flash. They are good for SBRs for backpressure and redirecting blast forward and away from the shooter/neighbors though.

There's also this guy's take on barrel movement in the AR platform and how some muzzle devices overcompensate by pushing the barrel down too much, when correct technique should in large part reduce muzzle climb.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great videos. Had missed the TTAG articles. Here are the links (also embedded in the YouTube video descriptions) for those that want to easily see the results tables ...

First comparison of 5.56 brakes (November 2014) ...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/

Second comparison (April 2015) ...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/

Looks like mine (which directs gases forward) does little for recoil. My motivation was to get something that wouldn't be unpleasant for a younger shooter in terms of concussive blast (short of a suppressor) with a 300 BLK rifle, and the Troy Claymore (for a 5.56 AR) appears to perform well in this regard according to the TTAG writer in the second article.

The Precision Armament M4-72 brake which came out on top in both articles also comes in 7.62 so can be used with a 300 BLK rifle. One thing to keep in mind is that this device directs gases backwards so would increase the concussive effect for the shooter, a trade off to consider.

Muzzle rise wasn't a parameter that they could measure in the TTAG testings.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    If your eventually going to put a suppressor on it, saker 762 muzzle brake or the gemtech Jake break I think they call it.

This ^^^^

If you have a pistol gas system, you should not have cycling issues with subsonic ammo.

Sounds like you are shooting supersonic loads through you 8.5?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am putting the TB flash suppressor attachment on my .300 BO. But there is the CB5 can to go with it. :)

I have the muzzle brake on my .308 bolt gun, but have never shot it without the can.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Prior I had a linear brake on, didn't want it super loud to the shooters on the line.

I'm happy with the Troy Claymore in that sense, and on two rifles (a 300 BLK AR and a bolt). I usually double protect (ear plugs and over the ear protection) when shooting a centerfire rifle at the range. However, with the Claymore, I'm very comfortable with just plugs alone even with supersonic 300 BLK. I felt that 38 Specials from a 4-inch barreled revolver sounded louder (was comparing the same day as the rifle shooting). With a rifle, I'm always shooting outdoor and don't know if any of these gains are diminished in an indoor setting (where I would probably double protect again).

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I am putting the TB flash suppressor attachment on my .300 BO. But there is the CB5 can to go with it. :)

I have the muzzle brake on my .308 bolt gun, but have never shot it without the can.

Likewise, except that my can is the CB.

Haven't shot my bolt gun with the muzzle break yet either, I need rocksett first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom