• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Legal definition of Palpable:

We all certainly qualify according to this:

Excellent Grasshopper! :lol2: Someone is listening my friend. :mdpatriot Now, if only those that have the authority to make a difference will open their minds like my young student!

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Excellent Grasshopper! :lol2: Someone is listening my friend. :mdpatriot Now, if only those that have the authority to make a difference will open their minds like my young student!

The changing composition of the Board may well force a change at the Licensing Division. If the Board adopts Woollard and eschews Snowden and Scherr, then the MSP will have to go along as the Troopers will quickly grow weary of having their denials reversed. Or the MSP might just see the handwriting on the wall and be persuaded. As an organization, they are pretty root bound to what they have done in the past. At the very least, the pot is stirring and that has not happened in a very long time.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Well I'm glad you guys are hopeful. The changing of all the board members could mean a lot, or it could mean nothing at all. It could be no different than all the other appointments a new Governor has to make. Here's to hoping for change.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    How many reversals will it take? How long will it take to get that number through the system? How many and how long before people on this forum (other than those few that are already in the pipeline) to step up and be part of those numbers before any change occurs at MSP?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The changing composition of the Board may well force a change at the Licensing Division. If the Board adopts Woollard and eschews Snowden and Scherr, then the MSP will have to go along as the Troopers will quickly grow weary of having their denials reversed. Or the MSP might just see the handwriting on the wall and be persuaded. As an organization, they are pretty root bound to what they have done in the past. At the very least, the pot is stirring and that has not happened in a very long time.

This is my hope.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    How many reversals will it take? How long will it take to get that number through the system? How many and how long before people on this forum (other than those few that are already in the pipeline) to step up and be part of those numbers before any change occurs at MSP?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If the board reverses too many.....how long do you think it will take before the MSP complains to the Attorney General....and how long do you think it will take for the AG to open an investigation..............

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If the board reverses too many.....how long do you think it will take before the MSP complains to the Attorney General....and how long do you think it will take for the AG to open an investigation..............

But... I thought someone posted here that there were no precedents being set... so what's the beef?:rolleyes:

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

What is MSP going to whine to AG about?
    The MSP does their duty under the law, and the board does theirs, end of story. They only party involved that can go further up the chain is the applicant if they are still denied after the board.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The real danger is the General Assembly. They will try to pass more restrictive laws to further infringe on the 2nd so be prepared for another fight in Annapolis and start filling the war chests of the organizations defending our side.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Nothing they can do besides legislation to remove the HPRB. Good luck with that.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    The real danger is the General Assembly. They will try to pass more restrictive laws to further infringe on the 2nd so be prepared for another fight in Annapolis and start filling the war chests of the organizations defending our side.

They can pass all they want, but the HPRB can issue permits and modify/remove restrictions as they wish.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Nothing they can do besides legislation to remove the HPRB. Good luck with that.

You need to take off those rose colored glasses.....I can easily see a scenario where the state could make life miserable for the masses having denials overturned by the HPRB.

And it is guaranteed not to go unnoticed by the GA....I also see a scenario where the GA severely tightens up the permit rules....making the MSP and HPRB decision more black & white than 50 shades of gray....along with revoking all permits and requiring those with them to reapply.....

Some of you seem to greatly underestimate your enemy..........

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    You need to take off those rose colored glasses.....I can easily see a scenario where the state could make life miserable for the masses having denials overturned by the HPRB.

And it is guaranteed not to go unnoticed by the GA....I also see a scenario where the GA severely tightens up the permit rules....making the MSP and HPRB decision more black & white than 50 shades of gray....along with revoking all permits and requiring those with them to reapply.....

Any changes as the result of the actions of this HPRB are just temporary until a new Governor appoints his own team. We need longer lasting change or at least short term change that has a bigger impact than the HPRB. If the MSP were to start handing out unrestricted permits under the "palpable need" standard for the entire Hogan term that would be harder to reverse. The HPRB does not hear enough cases fast enough to make this accessible to the masses. The MSP superintendent not changing G&S administratively is a huge let down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I think Mike & Mike would actually be afraid to do so. At this point its very hard to find more restrictive verbage that would pass a court challenge at all levels ... also the possibility of bearing the responsibility of writing the law that the SC wacks making MD shall issue or constitutional carry.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I think Mike & Mike would actually be afraid to do so. At this point its very hard to find more restrictive verbage that would pass a court challenge at all levels ... also the possibility of bearing the responsibility of writing the law that the SC wacks making MD shall issue or constitutional carry.

;)

You see the whole board... ;)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

If the current law becomes a problem for them, its because the GA wrote a bad law. that goes for 1972, 94, 96, 01, and 2013, because all those were times when the GA was able to edit the law. the GA is still full of critters that re passed current carry law in 2013; when they added 16 hours of training. they cannot say its broken now. if its broken now, then it was broken everytime a fix was deskdrawered over the last 15 years.

same goes for the AG. current carry law is his baby at this point. he cannot claim its broken, when we have hours of his floor testimony and committee debate saying its perfect. he was able to change the whole law in 2013. he got to change it to suit his needs post woollard, he should have read woollard, seeing that he was the senate's expert on firearms legislation and the chair of the senate judicial proceedings committee, and woollard was released at the height of the fsa2013 debate.

if the GA wants to change carry law in the next 3 1/2 years, they will need to compromise with us, big time. the only acceptable change is shall issue. we can do a lot of things to make a shall issue law from a purple state more attractive to the GA than the current md style may issue, but it will take time to build that case for it.

what's happening now is one of many steps in that case.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    if the GA wants to change carry law in the next 3 1/2 years, they will need to compromise with us, big time.

Will they? Will they need to compromise with us? Why?

Just like any heavily slanted one sided argument, they threw everything at the wall but the kitchen sink last time, the scraps that didn't stick were hailed as a "victory" for our side.

"Could've been much worse" isn't a WIN by anyone's stretch of the imagination. :)

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Will they? Will they need to compromise with us? Why?

Just like any heavily slanted one sided argument, they threw everything at the wall but the kitchen sink last time, the scraps that didn't stick were hailed as a "victory" for our side.

"Could've been much worse" isn't a WIN by anyone's stretch of the imagination. :)

there was an election between than and now. the md republican minority in the HOD is large enough to filibuster now, and the new republican governor isnt going to sign a gun control bill, unless its a win for our side.

so what can the GA do? if they dont like arbitrary may issue, they will need to suggest something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom