• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    So a comment in one of the other threads here made me wonder: where do movie studios and/or production companies get the post-1986 weapons they use for making movies?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes long mountain outfitters is one.

Many of these companies have long standing groups of MGs in stock. Since they are worth to much today, they have been sold off and replaced with modern weapons. Also much is done with special effects.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FFLs can own post-ban guns. A1Uniforms on here recently bought some Colt SBRs that turned out to be orig registered as MGs. He can keep them and bring them out to play but can't sell to the general public.

Plus, most stuff in holywood are fakes. Han Solo didn't have a real blaster;) Would be fairly easy to make a plastic look-a-like that was full auto & fired blanks only. Heck, some airsoft guns look the real deal. Plus aforementioned special effects now a days.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    More then likely the dealers that cater to movie studios are FFL07's with a Class II SOT, so they can make post dealer samples on the cheap. Then they either put a barrel plug and add special effects, or run blank ammo.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    FFLs can own post-ban guns. A1Uniforms on here recently bought some Colt SBRs that turned out to be orig registered as MGs. He can keep them and bring them out to play but can't sell to the general public.

Plus, most stuff in holywood are fakes. Han Solo didn't have a real blaster;) Would be fairly easy to make a plastic look-a-like that was full auto & fired blanks only. Heck, some airsoft guns look the real deal. Plus aforementioned special effects now a days.

Not exactly. SOT's can have post 86 MGs but they usually need a demo letter from a police department requesting to see a certain firearm. It all depends on what type of SOT they are. But regular FFL's can't.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    If I am not mistaken SOT stands for Special Occupational tax. A type 01/07 FFL SOT will have the ability to work on and transfer most Title II weapons.

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Not exactly. SOT's can have post 86 MGs but they usually need a demo letter from a police department requesting to see a certain firearm. It all depends on what type of SOT they are. But regular FFL's can't.

I think they can build one of each different MG as an SOT. However if they want to buy one then they need the LEO Love letter to get it.

What's a "SOT"? I want to add it to the acronym list.
    Special Occupational Taxpayers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Occupational_Taxpayers

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I think they can build one of each different MG as an SOT. However if they want to buy one then they need the LEO Love letter to get it.

Special Occupational Taxpayers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Occupational_Taxpayers

Pretty sure you need to be a class 2 SOT (manufacturer to make non-DD MGs).

From wiki:

To get a Class 1 SOT status, an importer FFL is needed, which are FFL Types 8 and 11
    To get a Class 2 SOT status, a manufacturer FFL is needed, which are FFL Types 7 and 10
    To get a Class 3 SOT status, a dealer FFL is needed which are FFL Types 1 and 2 [4]

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Pretty sure you need to be a class 2 SOT (manufacturer to make non-DD MGs).

From wiki:

To get a Class 1 SOT status, an importer FFL is needed, which are FFL Types 8 and 11
    To get a Class 2 SOT status, a manufacturer FFL is needed, which are FFL Types 7 and 10
    To get a Class 3 SOT status, a dealer FFL is needed which are FFL Types 1 and 2 [4]

Probably correct, I was not going that deep into it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom