• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I don't know that much about shotguns, other than the Savage .22/20 gauge over under I had as a kid, and used to hunt with for 25 years.

I'm retired now, and most of my shooting has been rinfire handguns and rifles. But times are changing, and I want to get a shotgun now for home defense. Don't want to spend a lot, as I know it will go bye-bye with the police if I have to used.

I'm torn between the Mossberg 500 series in it's most simple form, and the Stoager coach gun with internal hammers. I'm drawn to the coach gun for the simple operation and reliability, but the extra rounds in a pump are attractive.

And the over/under double that Mossberg markets under the maverick brand is attractive to me, agains because of the simple operation of the break open double.

!. How good are the Stoager's,

2. How good is the Mossy 590 series?

Thank you all for any info you may have for me.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Mossberg....you wont be scaring anyone away with pulling back the hammers...rack a round and all criminals will leave without confrontation 100% of the time...just ask the internet.

On a serious note...Mossberg would still be my pick.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I love the 870 but the Mossberg is rightfully loved.

Tons of threads on this.

Nah, I think it is time to start thread #649 on HD shotguns. You can never over discuss this topic. :deadhorse:

We all know the Rem 870 tactical express is the ONLY one suitable.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I have both a Mossberg 535 - just a 500 field that can take 3.5in shells - with a 18.5" home defense smoothbore barrel, and a Remington 870 Magpul with an 18.5" barrel and short furniture which is good for moving around inside the house.

Those 2 shotguns are thee most popular of the home defense set, and either would serve you well.

On the double barrel option - I appreciate the simplicity, but I tend to shoot sloppily under stress. Can't even imagine waking up. That being the potential case, wouldn't you want more than 2 rounds incase you miss?

I also concur on the power of hearing any pump rack a round. That's gotta be an unmistakable sound for an intruder for sure...

Oh, and those are both available around $300 at Walmart - can't get more affordable than that! That or hit a gun show and try to score a used one for $200-250.

Good luck!

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    The Stoeger Coach Guns are cool. If you decide to go this route, consider the Stoeger Double Defense Shotgun. They make a side-by-side, but I'd prefer the over/under version for rail space/flexibility. Have had my hands on both versions at The Tackle Box, in Lexington Park, MD. Never fired either, though.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/tactical-firearms

All that said, had a 500 in the closet vault for 20 years. Just switched over to a semi a few years ago.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    scattergun tech extension frame.jpg

Reliability isn't going to be better with a stoeger coach gun...they break too. Go with something with a 18" barrel or so with a +2 mag tube in a pump. It'll give you 7 shots in a compact weapon that's reliable. Remington 870's and mossberg 500's are both great guns with different pros and cons. If you're ever interested in a pistol-gripped stock like I have on mine in the picture above, the 870's are the way to go due to safety placement. Tang safeties, like the 500 has, are cool on a normal stock but suck on a pistol-grip.

Consider some way to attach a weapon-mounted light on the gun. You'll want some way to properly ID a threat before pressing the trigger, or even pointing the muzzle. If the light is bright enough(over 100 lumens or so), you'll be able to splash it off the walls/ceiling/floor to illuminate someone without pointing the gun directly at them.

Before you ask, load it with federal's flitecontrol #1 buck load.
    http://www.policehq.com/Products/FC-132LE.1B
    It is the absolute best defensive load available for a 12 ga right now. #1 buck has a greater cross-sectional area than 00 and is the smallest pellets to reliably penetrate to the 12" mark. The flitecontrol wad will give you the tightest pattern of any other load(which is a desirable thing).

The mossberg maverick 88 ,hecho en mexico, listed above is a great option if you're tight on cash, as is the chinese knockoff of the 870 made by hawk industries.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42628

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_263/products_id/16597

...here's a review of the H&R(hawk) pardner pump...it's a damned good gun for the money...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/ralph/gun-review-hr-1871-pardner-pump-protector-12-gauge/

Last edited:

Joshvictus

2GOG
    Jul 8, 2014
    Annapolis
    My first shotgun was an 870 tactical. Phenomenal firearm. I had the blackhawk pistol grip stock on it as well. Now I have a Mossberg 930. IMO this thing is FAR superior to the 870 in the performance department.

cb51

Thanks all, I guess I'll be going with the Mossberg. As much as I like the double coach gun idea, having just two shots is a bummer. Not to mention I like the idea of the pump being lower cost than the break open.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There's always this...

a good semiauto carbine will have more capacity, be easier to shoot, and will penetrate fewer walls(with the correct ammo...lighter weight polymer tipped) than a shotgun. They'll still have plenty of power to stop them, compared to a handgun.

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks all, I guess I'll be going with the Mossberg. As much as I like the double coach gun idea, having just two shots is a bummer. Not to mention I like the idea of the pump being lower cost than the break open.

Hey, it's good enough for Joe Biden. :innocent0

cb51

No smokey, the AR is not an option. I got out of the army 40 years ago, and I never wanted to see another AR, AK, agains, and I haven't touched one since. Plus I live in Germantown Maryland, so I don't need to be shooting at something on the hillside, or any other situation that the gun magazine and writers sell to.

I target shoot with a .22, and thats good enough for me. But I just want something more effective for home defense, not taking a V.C. position.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    No AR? Try a mini 14 then. I think a carbine is a better option for HD.

You're going to have to aim either gun but the mini14 gives you more shots. And is more controllable.

Get one with wood furniture to further differentiate from an AR if you prefer.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    Does anyone have experience with the Winchester Super X Pump Defender Shotgun. I'm considering the marine version for use on my boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom