• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    The NRA instructor portal is advocating the "Blended Training Module" and I am getting emails from the NRA outlining how convenient it will be. Unfortunately, in this state, the blended training protocol isn't viable as something to integrate into the program due to the HQL mandate.

It used to be; I would list various courses through the NRA portal and would generate classes, but with SB281 implementation, no one is going to the portal for classes. Seems everyone is just interested in the HQL,
    Wear and Carry renewal or original and the Security Personnel courses offered. In other words, listing the Personal Protection Outside The home gets no response, but advertising for the Wear Carry permit does.

Any other instructors have any input on this? Thank you in advance. Larry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yeah, with the 4hr classroom requirement for MD HQL, the Blended Training Module scheme is less attractive than traditional full classroom Basic Pistol with MD law sugar coating to satisfy HQL training

Blended would still be attractive for the other Basic classes

I think its a bad idea to start Blended Training on Basic Pistol without running it thru one of the other courses first. Doesn't NRA have a fully online RSO class already?

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2014/08...means-when-it-comes-to-firearms-training.aspx

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The blended learning method insures that each student receives course information in a consistent manner every time the course is given.

Other instructors, including Massad Ayoob teach this way, and when I have time, I may try this as well.

There are huge advantages to both the students and the instructors to be able to record a perfectly explained and delivered lesson, then deliver the same results, repeatedly over time.

With regard to the other complaints: From the NRA's own email...

myth.gif

The e-Learning classroom segment cannot be done in a group setting.
    fact.gif

NRA Instructors who want to do so can provide the necessary equipment for each student to complete the e-Learning classroom segment as a group.

myth.gif

The blended learning course will be like the current Range Safety Officer course.
    fact.gif

The basic blended learning courses will be completely different, featuring both e-Learning classroom segment and an Instructor-led training segment.

myth.gif

Students who live in states that don't recognize e-Learning classes for concealed carry permits won't be able to get one.
    fact.gif

This is NOT an e-Learning course, it is a blended learning course. Most states use the technique for delivering Hunter Education and Drivers Education. A live instructor is not required to show students the basic parts of a firearm, but with the blended learning system, a live instructor will ALWAYS have the final say as to when a student passes the basic course.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Knowledge learning online and skill development/measurement with a live instructor - seems logical to me. It's also not a new instructional model. Don't know why it appears to be meeting resistance, other than perhaps some fearing a loss of revenue.

Personally, I've been using this type (used a DVD instead of online) of pistol training for sometime with new shooters.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    I use the DVD too, but after the selected chapter I pause and discuss the content to ensure a full understanding of what is presented.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Just curious - anyone know the status of the NRA's Blended Training for pistol? Is is dead?

Edit: Guess it's still a go...

http://materials.nrahq.org/go/product.aspx?productid=ES30610

Attention: By placing an order for this item, you acknowledge that you are fully aware that the NRA is moving the NRA Basic Pistol course to a blended format and the Basic Pistol Course Student Packet will be obsolete by early 2016. Instructors will not be authorized to utilize these student packets and certificates once the transition is complete. NRA recommends you take this into consideration when placing your order.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Instructor email update dated 9/8/15 6pm says the blended learning program should be in effect by the end of this year for Basic Pistol

britishjohnhall

They will not be selling the basic pistol packet after this year as well. I can't remember specific date.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. What do we do about charging for the live portion? will we just have to re-structure pricing our courses based on demand (meaning will we be forced to charge less to keep customers) or will we be able to hold our pricing?
    It will be interesting to see how it affects us instructors.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They will not be selling the basic pistol packet after this year as well. I can't remember specific date.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. What do we do about charging for the live portion? will we just have to re-structure pricing our courses based on demand (meaning will we be forced to charge less to keep customers) or will we be able to hold our pricing?
    It will be interesting to see how it affects us instructors.

Demand will stay the same, all that's different is classroom time is reduced to a minimum ... meaning that most instructors won't have to rent a classroom for 4 or 5 hours, just one hour or, do whatever interviewing/reviewing and first actual gun handling at rangeside.

As I understand it, students will still register with a specific instructor before doing the class online; not as if they can just take the online class and then signup with a live fire instructor some time later after price comparison shopping livefire instructors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom