• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Planning my first Elk Hunt for next and need a recommendation on caliber. I shoot 12g here in MD for deer out of a H&R Slug Hunter so it would be nice to have something lighter recoiling but will get the job done.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    30-06 has probably killed more elk than any other cartridge in the country. A lot were taken with a 300WM as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these cartridges.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I used a 300WSM and it did fine. If you are shooting a 12ga, most any rifle you pick will have less recoil. I'd recommend something you shoot well and something with ammo that is affordable so you can practice, practice, practice.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    But really should most deer rifle calibers work on a elk with shot placement being they key factor? You should be able to take down a elk with a .270 as long as you hit it properly. Didn't Jack O'connor take every north America big game animal with it? But I would still go with a 7 mag of .300 win mag.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Never been but I would take a .300 win mag just to be on the safe side.

I once thought about brown bear hunting so I got a 338 Win Mag. The 2 elk I shot with it did not immediately fall over, nor did the guide expect them to. With the excitement, I did not feel the recoil. You do feel it at the range wearing only a t-shirt.

You can compare shot gun recoil here
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

With rifle recoil here:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you won't feel any recoil while shooting an elk so that shouldn't be a consideration. while sighting in and practicing you will feel recoil but can mitigate that (heavy coat, etc).

was it elmer keith that said .33 or bigger for elk, and 2000 (a ton) ft-lbs of energy AT the distance you'll be shooting? but that was a while back and I'd guess bullet type is more important than diameter, and of course shot placement.

I bought a .340wby a few years back for a hopeful elk hunt but it hasn't yet come to fruition. I also have a 7stw that I would have no qualms using.

if you're going to go out and buy a new gun, I'd say .300wm if not bigger. a good all around caliber that should be plentiful at any gun store and probably walmart also. but again make sure you get input on the best bullet types. and, good luck!

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I'm going in November with my 30-06 and 180 gr bullets. Savage 11/111 Hunter XP. Comes with a Nikon scope (though I swapped for vortex viper). Great budget package.

Cousin taking his 700 in 7mm mag. He goes every year with his 700 in 30-06 and just bought the 7mm for this season so he could have a bit more oomph and flatter trajectory.

I bought 30-06 because extremely common and well proven cartridge that you can use for anything in North America. Plus, no new reloading or cleaning gear if you got a garand (which you should).

Whatever you pick, I highly recommend you take a long range shooting class. We did Bang Steel and loved it. Far more important than the cartridge is the ability to consistently hit targets at various ranges. Those elk are big with thick hides. Takes a damn good shot to bring one down at distance. A bad shot means spending your day tracking and possibly ending your hunt empty handed if with a guide plus making a beautiful animal suffer.

Heck .243, .270, .308, 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 win mag, .338 lapua, .475 H&H all have and will work. I'd rather hit an elk with a .243 in the heart than a 50 bmg in the gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Bow is open for me right now...but we will be moving down the road so I dont think I'll get one by the end of the month...hopefully I'll get one with my 308.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    My brother-in-law took a cow elk with his old Rem 700 in .270 Win. a few years ago. Just about any deer rifle should work, maybe avoid anything below 7 mm. If you aren't used to big magnum cartridges, they can be a little much to handle. .270 Win. and .30-06 should be just fine.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I took a 7mm and it anchored a bull with no problem.

Guide I went with said he has had guys take elk with everything from a .270 up to .375.

He said for the lighter calibers he would try to get close as possible.

Use the heaviest bullet you can get for whatever caliber you decide on and go for the shoulder.

Practice, practice, practice. From all positions, with shooting sticks, etc.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I bought a 7mm mag about a year ago for just such purpose and just because I like the round. I haven't taken it on a hunt yet, just poking holes in paper and tin cans. It's a nice flat trajectory. I need to get some heavier rounds and start practicing at longer distances. The ammo isn't what I would call "cheap" but it's cheaper than 300 mag or 338 if that matters to you.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for all the good advice. I've been really intrigued by the 7mm-08 rem. But also been thinking bout the .308 win and 30-06 in either a browning x-bolt or a weather by vanguard.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Thanks for all the good advice. I've been really intrigued by the 7mm-08 rem. But also been thinking bout the .308 win and 30-06 in either a browning x-bolt or a weather by vanguard.

I have a browning X-bolt in .300 win mag and it's a great rifle. One of my hunting buddies hunts elk almost every year and he uses a 7mm rem mag. Talking with Him a lot of guys out there use 7MM. Like others have said practice practice practice.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I took my Weatherby. 300mag. Didn't get a shot.

My buddy took his 7mm.

We were in a camp with folks from all over including lots of locals (Idaho).

Lots of 30.06. A couple locals had 25.06 and several 270s.

Lots of talking and bragging as you might imagine. General opinion was even the 270 was a little on the low side. 150gr is the bare minimum bullet and that should be a good solid bullet that will retain mass with 165gr and up being preferable.

Distances become important. East Coast deer hunters think of 200 yds as a long shot. The only elk I saw were at 500 and quickly opened up to 700 where they then hung out. That's a long way for a slow and or heavy bullet.

FWIW, I took two guns. Both the same caliber. Simply because when you're on a hunt you put that much into, a gun issue shouldn't derail your big hunt.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom