• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    I have read through SB281, mdsp.org, as well as a few other threads here but I have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can help me with. Please keep in mind that I am active duty military, I am an MS resident (pay MS state taxes, have an MS driver's license), all firearms I own were purchased well before 1 Oct 2013, I will be buying a house in your state but do not intend to become a resident (I just need a place to live while I am stationed here).

1.) Can I bring an M1A and AR-15 with their normal capacity magazines into the state as long as they were owned by me prior to 1 Oct 2013?

2.) Can I bring a Glock 19 and its normal capacity magazines into the state as long as they were owned by me prior to 1 Oct 2013?

3.) Am I required by law to register any firearms I bring into the state?

4.) If HBAR AR-15s are currently legal to buy, can it have "evil" features such as detachable magazine, bayonet lug, pistol grip, and flash hider?

I plan to leave this state ASAP, but just don't want to get thrown in jail while I am required to be here so thanks for your help! Regardless of the answers to the above, I do have a few firearms that should be MD legal and not require registration so if anyone near Ft Meade has advice on good ranges I'd be grateful.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    1. yes
    2. yes, and it didn't matter when you owned the normal capacity magazines, you cannot buy or sell or transfer them in the state of Maryland. obtaining them from outside of Maryland and bringing them back in yourself is gtg.
    3. As long as you are a resident of a state that is not Maryland, than you are not required to register your firearms. if you were going to become a resident you would have 60 days.
    4. yes it can have all the evil features you mentioned. In Maryland only the flash hider is considered evil. the other two evil features are folding stock (not telescoping) and grenade launcher.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Funny how 1 of the 2 "evil" verboten features of a rifle, does not exist in civilian hands except in movies. I would argue that there are zero 40mm launchers in private hands, and even fewer rounds. Sheds some light on the mentality of the lawmakers. They base their lawmaking on Arnold Shwatzenegger movies. They should ban Mermaids based on disney movies. The end result would be the same. The absurdity of this is beyond imagination.

mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    This is pretty exciting news. I was sure I was in for more crap from the state (I just came from 3 years in California) but your response has given me hope of finally being reunited with all of my firearms. I read SB281 and interpreted it consistently with the answers that you gave, but it is reassuring to hear from a couple sources.

One additional question: what is the definition of an "HBAR" for Maryland? Does the barrel need to have a minimum outer diameter or are the gov't profile and lightweight profile barrels without grenade launcher attachment cuts allowed?

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    One additional question: what is the definition of an "HBAR" for Maryland? Does the barrel need to have a minimum outer diameter or are the gov't profile and lightweight profile barrels without grenade launcher attachment cuts allowed?

It's not defined in the law. The law actually exempts only the Colt Sporter HBAR by name, but equal protection carries that exception across to any equivalent makes and models.

The state police are taking the position that if the manufacturer says it's an HBAR, it's an HBAR.

mdw1016

Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe going down a rabbit-hole here, but is there any reason to think that it would be illegal to replace the barrel on my AR that I'm bringing into the state with one that is not an HBAR? For example: I want to take an M4 profile barrel upper off and go with an upper that has a lightweight barrel.

As I understand everything I've read so far, that wouldn't be a problem since the rifle I have was purchased prior to 1 Oct 2013 and I am not a Maryland resident. It does not need to be registered so there is no problem in putting any non-NFA uppers on and it can be legally possessed and used by me in Maryland.

Thanks for all your help so far. I have been in the state for about a week and already I'm impressed with how nice and polite everyone is compared to California.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    If you owned the lower prior to Oct 2013 you should be fine with any configuration.

And welcome to MD!

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    It's 90 days to register firearms, not 60.

Just FYI

^thank you for the correction!^

You may configure any Pre oct 1 2013 lower in any USA legal fashion you wish. Replacing the barrel or having a second upper is all good.

As far as HBARs, as long as it has HBAR stamped on it, or the manufacturer says so, its HBAR. Except Bushmaster. According to MSP all Bushmaster semi auto rifles are a no go.

a Proper HBAR is minimum 0.750"

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    This should clear it up nicely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 355

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Registration leads to confiscation. Whatever happened to silence is golden?

Outta here

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Wait a minute...people coming into Maryland have to register their guns? When did that happen?? Is there any charge for this? Do the guns have to be inspected? What happens if a gun isn't on the state's okay list? Like a Raven or a Jennings?

What if one's handguns are in another state?

Also, what happens if one buys a hi-cap magazine in a free state and brings it into Maryland?Is that illegal?

Finally, years ago there were a bunch of issues that scared liberals silly. One was plastic guns that could evade metal detectors and another was so-called cop-killer bullets that could penetrate Kevlar vests. The first issue died when the idiots actually looked into the issue and figured out there was nothing there. The second issue has died down, but are there any restrictions on such ammo in Maryland? (I have some copper-clad lead ammo, but I don't think that's restricted.)

Someone in the armed forces isn't subject to the HQL requirements, but I don't know whether he can buy guns in a state he's not an official resident of.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    One more thing. Why are Maryland residents so damn liberal? Just across
    the river in Virginia it's so different. If it's the drinking water, why in blue blazes
    aren't we affected?

--------------------

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    I would argue that there are zero 40mm launchers in private hands, and even fewer rounds.

The M79, M203, & Penn Arms 40mm launchers are available as registered Destructive Devices under the NFA. As far as the rounds are concerned, no HE grenades are generally available, but you can purchase 40mm buckshot, flares and training rounds. The beehive or hornet's nest multibarreled 22s are pretty fun.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    What happens if a gun isn't on the state's okay list? Like a Raven or a Jennings?

What if one's handguns are in another state?

Also, what happens if one buys a hi-cap magazine in a free state and brings it into Maryland?Is that illegal?

The roster board only applies to handguns offered for sale in the state of MD. If they remain in another state, you need not do anything so far as MD law is concerned. If you bring any handguns into MD that were manufactured after 1985 and are NOT on the handgun roster, you cannot sell them to another MD resident. You can still own them. You are free to buy mags in a free state and bring them to MD, but you cannot transfer, sell, or offer them for sale in the state of MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom