• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Hard to believe that it has been 20yrs since the misguided, ineffective and unconstitutional "Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act" was signed by the impeached pervert BJ (Bill Jefferson) Clinton :sad20: and 10yrs since its sunset :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Remember that our rights are always at risk. Be politically involved and donate to your favorite 2A causes. Bring new folks into the fold.

What was that 10yr period like for you. I was too young to be affected.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It sucked and drove prices of Mags and Pre Ban gun through the roof. Std Capacity Glock Mags were $125.00 each.

It was also not possible to take a pre ban AR with "evil features" and keep the evil features if you SBR'ed it, as ATF considered it to be a "new" firearm thus it was no longer pre ban.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    It sucked and drove prices of Mags and Pre Ban gun through the roof. Std Capacity Glock Mags were $125.00 each.

It was also not possible to take a pre ban AR with "evil features" and keep the evil features if you SBR'ed it, as ATF considered it to be a "new" firearm thus it was no longer pre ban.

So I take it the panic was worse than 2013?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So I take it the panic was worse than 2013?

No where near as bad as 2012/2013. The Internet was in its infancy in 94 and things didn't get as crazy. I was graduating H.S. but I was involved with firearms back then too.

People did go on buying sprees but its wasn't close to the 2008 Election or the 2012/2013 Election/Newtown Shooting.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was turned 19 around the time Senator Frankenfeinstein's bible was imposed on the country. When I first heard about something called an "assault weapons ban", I wrongly fell into the classic trap of misinformation by thinking it only affected machine guns. It took several years to realize how very wrong I was.:shocking:

Around 2000 or so I went to buy a SPAS-12, which I was told was illegal under the ban. I thought "wait a minute, why the hell would a shotgun be affected by an AWB?"

It was then that I began to despise Democrats, and to see them as the liberal, self serving, superficial trash that they are. I also realized that no, they weren't the "champions of the working guy" that my parents then claimed, who are now Republicans.

I hated this nanny state type "I know what's best for you" crap from my parents, only to have to grow up and tolerate it from politicians?

Who would then have the gall to tell me I can't buy a ****ing shotgun based soley on how looks?! Because it has a "shoulder thing that goes up?!!:mad54::tdown:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I was still in high school, didn't know much about guns other than they killed people (that's what I saw on TV)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hard to believe that it has been 20yrs since the misguided, ineffective and unconstitutional "Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act" was signed by the impeached pervert BJ (Bill Jefferson) Clinton :sad20: and 10yrs since its sunset :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

Remember that our rights are always at risk. Be politically involved and donate to your favorite 2A causes. Bring new folks into the fold.

What was that 10yr period like for you. I was too young to be affected.

Great reminder. Thanks for posting this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No where near as bad as 2012/2013. The Internet was in its infancy in 94 and things didn't get as crazy. I was graduating H.S. but I was involved with firearms back then too.

People did go on buying sprees but its wasn't close to the 2008 Election or the 2012/2013 Election/Newtown Shooting.

And it was about as stupid as the FSA 2013.

Over 10 round mags made after the ban had to be marked "For Law Enforcement Use Only." It they weren't marked, then they were assumed to be pre-ban. And of course, you could buy mag tubes, followers, springs and base plates. Illegal to assemble, but hard to prove.

Many of the "banned" rifles lost a bayonet lug and got renamed and still sold.

The worst thing was, the media portrayed the bill as being all about "assault weapons." The bill was something like 600 pages long, and about 1 page was about "assault weapons." The rest was mainly pork projects.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I recall paying thru the nose for standard capacity Glock 17 mags ($100 and up per), and being in a Northern Virginia gun shop the day of or after the sunset in September 2004. EBRs with all the trimmings, standard cap mags and all of the forbidden fruits of the ban era became legal overnight.

Since then, I've made it a point to stock up on magazines for my ARs as well as any handguns that I have.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was turned 19 around the time Senator Frankenfeinstein's bible was imposed on the country. When I first heard about something called an "assault weapons ban", I wrongly fell into the classic trap of misinformation by thinking it only affected machine guns. It took several years to realize how very wrong I was.:shocking:

Around 2000 or so I went to buy a SPAS-12, which I was told was illegal under the ban. I thought "wait a minute, why the hell would a shotgun be affected by an AWB?"

It was then that I began to despise Democrats, and to see them as the liberal, self serving, superficial trash that they are. I also realized that no, they weren't the "champions of the working guy" that my parents then claimed, who are now Republicans.

I hated this nanny state type "I know what's best for you" crap from my parents, only to have to grow up and tolerate it from politicians?

Who would then have the gall to tell me I can't buy a ****ing shotgun based soley on how looks?! Because it has a "shoulder thing that goes up?!!:mad54::tdown:

I had a spas12...they were neat for the novelty of it but Pain in the rear to clean...needless to say I only shot it a couple times and ended up selling it couple years ago.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The AWB ended around the same time I was able to realistically purchase guns (ie, job and a place to store them), so I never really experienced the pain.

However, discovering how ineffective the AWB had been is probably the one thing that converted me from anti to pro. I honestly could not believe what liars the Brady Bunch were, and basically realized that their "improvement" to society was just another mechanism of control. (You can start seeing my conversion to libertarianism, too.)

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    It sucked but I sold a couple preban AR's for triple what I paid for them, I did not ask triple, I asked for best offers and that's what the market offered. I also sold a foot locker full of GI 20 rounders for about $20 a pop just before it went into effect and they had been about $3 a pop before the panic hit.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I wasn't born until 1992, but I remember in September 2004 when the ban sunset. My friend's dad was going nuts buying regular capacity mags from Cheaper Than Dirt.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    In the 90s I wasn't into firearms. I wasn't for them or against them because it wasn't a particular interest of mine.
    I believed whatever bit of news that was told to me from the media.
    I believed that the ban was for automatic weapons that were used in gang violence scenarios like drive-by shootings in predominantly urban areas.
    I didn't know that felons were not allowed to own guns and I thought you just bought them without any background checks thanks to Michael Moore documentaries.

With a great deal of reflection I understand what I was and the mindset of people who don't own guns, and those that can be misled by not understanding gun laws. I now make it my mission to take people I know who never fired a gun the opportunity. They may never own a gun but at the very least they can lose the unwarranted hysteria associated with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom