Non-SBR Compact AR, pinning, welding, dremel oh my!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    This weekend I didn't go to Ohio as planned to see the fam so I found myself with some free time and a pile of parts screaming to be an AR: :D

Spikes Lower
    Spikes Upper
    CMMG Lower Parts Kit
    PSA Upper Parts Kit
    Midwest Industries Lightweight M-Lok Handguard 12"
    BCM Gunfighter Grip Mod 3
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod 3
    SSS Brake Shield for YHM QD Flash Hider
    LWRCI UCIW Ultra Compact stock
    Magpul RVG
    Magpul MS3 Sling Gen 1
    YHM Carbine Sling Adapter
    WMD NiB BCG
    and thanks to Clandestine's input:
    Rainier Arms Match .223 Wylde Barrel 13.7"
    YHM Phantom .30 Cal Q.D. Flash Hider 1/2x28 threads
    Magpul MBUS Pro
    SLR Rifleworks Adjustable Gas Block

optics and upgraded trigger are still pending...

Assembling the upper and lower with the parts kits was routine as normal, so I won't bore anyone with the details. Taper pinning the gas block and pinning and welding the flash hider were new steps for me. But I'm a DIYer and just handy enough to give it a whirl or screw everything up. :D So I made a set of barrel blocks and got to work.

The SLR gas block had a handy milled flat on the right side for drilling the pin. Using the dimple in the barrel and the set screw on the gas block, aligning it to the barrel was easy. And I only had to take it off once to put on the barrel nut I forgot. :lol2: Taking it slow and cleaning/lubricating with WD40 as I went, a nice clean hole only took a few minutes

I used the taper reamer by hand, going slow and checking the fit every few turns.

I stopped reaming when the pin would slide in by hand to a point a quarter inch from where I wanted it and drove it in the rest of the way. Easy peasy and rock solid.

Once again going slow and easy I drilled a hole in the flash hider (not installed). Then I installed and tightened it and took it very slow using the hole as a guide to drill into the threads of the barrel.

Using an angle grinder to cut a drill bit into a pin was quick and easy.

After practicing on an old deep socket until I was confident I welded over the pin and slipped while doing it. :sad20:

For the first time I actually used a dremel on a firearm and smoothed over the weld. After touching it up with cold blue and assembling the Q.D. portion of the flash hider I was pleased with the results

My goal with this build was to end up with a compact, buy once cry once, SHTF carbine without straying into NFA territory. Barrel and welded muzzle device are 16.25" by my measurement from the bolt face to the end of the flash hider. I am very happy with the results!

Side by side with my 16" mock dissy:

The SLR gas block snug under the rails:

This end toward enemy:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I took her out to Freestate this afternoon to test her out. Firing that first shot was actually much more intimidating than I had anticipated. I actually removed the upper to check the bore, loaded one round into the mag, put on gloves and rested the gun on the bench so I could fire it one handed. :o Gun went bang, bolt locked back, put a hole in the paper, and I had the same number of fingers I started with. Once that was out of the way, I began messing with the gas block to find my sweet spot. The positive clicks of the SLR GB make adjusting easy and settings repeatable. Through about 120 rounds the gun ran like a top except for gas setting testing short strokes. The flash hider shield does increase felt recoil and gives a nice flash, but also seems to direct the blast forward as advertised. All in all the setup is a soft shooting, pointable, compact, comfortable setup. Can't wait to shoot her again. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    VERY nice job!

I was on my way to freestate today to do some testing but I had to call it off.

Did you test to make sure you gas key was making contact with the lower? Always check to be sure. Just push the BCG back in the tube with the buffer/spring installed and make sure the back of the gas key does not contact the receiver ring where the stock attaches.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Not every barrel needs one though. ;) Lots of manufacturers these days are designing their barrels for low-profile gas blocks from the outset. My Lothar-Walther and BHW barrels are both dead-nuts centered with the block up against the shoulder. I called and asked. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not every barrel needs one though. ;) Lots of manufacturers these days are designing their barrels for low-profile gas blocks from the outset. My Lothar-Walther and BHW barrels are both dead-nuts centered with the block up against the shoulder. I called and asked. :)

Correct. I measure to check for the necessity. I have even seen them drilled too far back meaning I had to plug the hole and make a new one.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    VERY nice job!

I was on my way to freestate today to do some testing but I had to call it off.

Did you test to make sure you gas key was making contact with the lower? Always check to be sure. Just push the BCG back in the tube with the buffer/spring installed and make sure the back of the gas key does not contact the receiver ring where the stock attaches.

I just checked and it bottoms out about 3/16" before the buffer tube/lower. I did inspect it after shooting, but didn't think about just testing it to see. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the praise, just know the nuggets of wisdom you drop from time to time don't fall on deaf ears. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just checked and it bottoms out about 3/16" before the buffer tube/lower. I did inspect it after shooting, but didn't think about just testing it to see. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the praise, just know the nuggets of wisdom you drop from time to time don't fall on deaf ears. :D

You definitely don't need a gunsmith at all. :thumbsup::)

Im glad I was able to guide your path to a gun you enjoy. It looks great.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    You definitely don't need a gunsmith at all. :thumbsup::)

Im glad I was able to guide your path to a gun you enjoy. It looks great.

If we ever find ourselves in the same place at the same time your beverage of choice is on me. :)

Well crap. Guess I'm building one with that barrel/fh setup...maybe geissele mk4 rail? Hm.

All the cool kids are doing it... And well, I did it too. ;)

If you want to fondle it at any point let me know. I'm usually around the Baltimore City/North AA County area.

Now just to save my pennies for a suppressor...

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I just wanted to bump this zombie thread because I purchased the 13.7" Rock Creek barrel at Rainier this weekend during their free shipping/discount club preview thing sale. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom