• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What non-electronic call would you use? It seems both of the WMA's I go to there have been coyote sightings and one of the local hunt clubs is offering a $150 bounty on any coyote brought to them. I've got a decent load for my AR that should drop a coyote in its tracks. So what to use? Any good recommendation would be appreciated.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Hunters out here tend to use a house or feral cat tied to a string in the middle of a field.
    Or so I have heard. :innocent0:innocent0
    150.00 for a dead one is big bucks. Last I looked furs were under 20.00
    We have a few local buyers that will pay 10.00 for the whole animal.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What's the preferable caliber for 'yote hunting? What is the concensus on the smallest caliber safe to use?

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    What's the preferable caliber for 'yote hunting? What is the concensus on the smallest caliber safe to use?

I tend to use Cooper in 221 Fireball shooting 40 gn Blitz Kings.
    Or a different Cooper in 17 Heebe shooting 25 gr Bergers.
    Both are super explosive and I have never had a yote run more than 20 ft after being shot.
    Bullets do minimal damage entering and I have never had a bullet pass through and do any
    damage on exiting. I am a firm believer in little bullets traveling fast.

I used to shoot a 223 using Hornadys 52 gn SX bullet. Awesome bullet.. super explosive... but lots of damage.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I had success in frederick county using a fawn distress call. A 17hornet would probably be the smallest I would use. The 17wsm would probably do the job but I have no experience with it. I know someone that killed one with a 17hmr but its a headshot only proposition and yotes don't sit still long.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    I have not tried a call and only used a salt block and luck for this guy.

Attachments

• MDGC0073.jpg
      MDGC0073.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 241

UNcommon Arms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 16, 2011
    Howard County
    What non-electronic call would you use? It seems both of the WMA's I go to there have been coyote sightings and one of the local hunt clubs is offering a $150 bounty on any coyote brought to them. I've got a decent load for my AR that should drop a coyote in its tracks. So what to use? Any good recommendation would be appreciated.
    None, my trash cans do the trick. Dropped one Coyote the other night with my Gas Piston .22lr [did not want to disturb the neighbors]. Have also taken out 2 30lb raccoons; all from about 50 feet.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva

I use Kerry Carver calls, they're great calls for the money compared to local department store plastic calls.

http://www.carverpredatorcalls.com/

I use the 220 Swift distress call, its loud and predators respond faster/quicker on that call than my Foxpro

Where are you Yote hunt'n? in Northern Va or MD ?

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I was hunting them hard this past summer with an e-call. A quality mouth call should be fine, but I think you really want to have a motion decoy to get them to come in. I had more foxes come into visual using just the call. Coyotes are pretty wary, so that is why I recommend a motion decoy. There are a couple that combine motion with an e-call...that is what I would go with. Regardless, it is an exciting hunt when you have them running in.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Hunters out here tend to use a house or feral cat tied to a string in the middle of a field.
    Or so I have heard. :innocent0:innocent0
    150.00 for a dead one is big bucks. Last I looked furs were under 20.00
    We have a few local buyers that will pay 10.00 for the whole animal.

:lol::lol:

Considering the "neighbor's" cat works for me...

I really need to get into this...I'm volunteering my services in the spring (too much going on right now).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I nixed the electronic calls since I'm on a budget. I'm hunting south-west of my house, there seems to be a few coyotes and it's affecting the deer hunt. I'm using my 3-gun rifle, .223 with 69gr SMKs. I know they're not really hunting bullets but since it's inside 50 yards I don't think that will be a problem and I don't think anyone will complain. I'm going to try to make it out Thanksgiving morning, I'll use a turkey call then since I can bag a bird if one comes in and the coyotes are going after the turkeys in the area, too. I'll order one of the predator calls this weekend, I'll use the turkey calls until it gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom