• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    Got lucky at 7:30 this AM. Made a few calls, had a big boy come strutting in with a couple of hens. Stopped about 60 yards out from me, and didn't seem to want to come any closer to my decoy, so........

Not a shot I'd normally take, but I guess I had some bravery mixed in with the protein bar I ate before I left. One shot, dropped him in his tracks. He was a pretty boy- 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs.

Carlson's choke tubes and a Winchester longbeard turned out to be a great combo. I'll try to get some pics up later.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Got lucky at 7:30 this AM. Made a few calls, had a big boy come strutting in with a couple of hens. Stopped about 60 yards out from me, and didn't seem to want to come any closer to my decoy, so........

Not a shot I'd normally take, but I guess I had some bravery mixed in with the protein bar I ate before I left. One shot, dropped him in his tracks. He was a pretty boy- 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs.

Carlson's choke tubes and a Winchester longbeard turned out to be a great combo. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md

Awesome what county? Hear anything else?

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    Awesome what county? Hear anything else?

Thanks!

Frederick County, I managed to get permission to hunt on a farm out there. I jumped up another one as I was carrying mine out, I think it was a jake, but I couldn't be certain.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    We had one gobbling at about 0700 and heard 3 shots behind us, then quiet for about 45 min. Then had one start gobbling off to our left and I got on the call. He was answering back for about 20 min, but just wouldn't come in. Not sure what else I could have done to get him to come in. I'm pretty new at turkey hunting. Next weekend I'm going to reposition closer to where we heard him. Then some yahoos started shooting off somewhere fairly close by, I think I heard 10 or so rapid fire shots total. Not sure what it was all about, but we picked up at that point, we figured any birds in the area we were hunting would be pretty skittish after that. I'll be back at it next weekend.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    Nice find! I've been keeping my eyes out for some morrels, but just haven't stumbled on any yet. Batter those up and fry them in butter, nothing better!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Didn't find any turkeys but, we did come across some of these...

congrats!:envy:

:mad54:I havent found any of those in YEARS!! I need to start looking...hopefully I didnt miss them :(

They are good with some stewed tomato's and some chopped onion and salt/pepper to taste.

Oh and I popped a Turkey this morning. I'll post pics later

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    congrats!:envy:

:mad54:I havent found any of those in YEARS!! I need to start looking...hopefully I didnt miss them :(

They are good with some stewed tomato's and some chopped onion and salt/pepper to taste.

Oh and I popped a Turkey this morning. I'll post pics later

Congratulations! Love to see some pix. I'm working on a three year turkey drought.:o

Shrooms: I sautéed them with sliced onions in butter(and a touch of bacon grease that I always keep handy) and piled them over top of my ribeye.:yummy:

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    turkey hunting down in VA with my father the end of last week. I got my first bird and he brought home a dog. 9-7/8" beard, 7/8" spurs, under 20yd shot.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
      IMG_0088.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 217
    • 150424_004.jpg
      150424_004.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 174

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    Heard 3-4 different gobblers Sat. morning. 1 was within 100 yards, but down in a revine.

Got a late start, but set the decoys up and started calling. No response what-so-ever using a slate call. Tried a mouth call, nothing. Going to try gobbling next time.

At least this time I sprayed permethrine all over my clothes and gear before going out. Not a single bug or tick on me.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Turkey was 16lbs and 14oz..or so the scale moved up and down a little on the ounces. I guess its a young bird as his spurs arent developed and had an 8" beard.

Attachments

• jake turkey.JPG
      jake turkey.JPG
      154.5 KB · Views: 199
    • turkey beard.JPG
      turkey beard.JPG
      129.6 KB · Views: 187
    • turkey spurs.JPG
      turkey spurs.JPG
      84.6 KB · Views: 173

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Turkey was 16lbs and 14oz..or so the scale moved up and down a little on the ounces. I guess its a young bird as his spurs arent developed and had an 8" beard.

You're so lucky to hunt Merriams. I'm jealous.:envy: That's a beautiful bird Will! And great pics too. You gonna eat the whole thing or just the breasts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom