• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Did they mention how many frames the cutters will do before you have to buy a new cutter? I know it's only aluminum, but do they have a number of frames, the cutter can do without issues?

Thanks!
    Jim Smith

When I spoke with the owner, he said way more than any one person would ever do.

That aside, after doing one frame the cutters look brand new. The key is shallow cuts and enough oil on the parts of the jig that slide against each other.

Pics of my first one is in this thread:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=169756

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    It looks like a high speed steel cutter like you would use on a lathe or fly cutter on a mill.

Cutting aluminum frame should last for quite a while, would be more worried about the other parts of the jig wearing out of tolerance from sliding against each other repeatedly.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    so the jigs work with all frame sizes? I am kind of digging a compact frame, maybe a 9mm version. If I can find all the right parts.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    after watching your video, I'm in on one. I really didn't want to spend that much on a jig so hopefully it has some re-sell value!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    These look pretty awesome.

I'm not a .45 guy in general, but I might be interested in trying to build a 9mm at some point. This is a question that betrays my general ignorance of the 1911, but would these be usable for a 9mm build, or is it a different receiver?

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    after watching your video, I'm in on one. I really didn't want to spend that much on a jig so hopefully it has some re-sell value!

Someone else's video, and she did a great job making it. I just posted the link.

These look pretty awesome.

I'm not a .45 guy in general, but I might be interested in trying to build a 9mm at some point. This is a question that betrays my general ignorance of the 1911, but would these be usable for a 9mm build, or is it a different receiver?

I believe it is the same frame/receiver, but some caliber specific parts in the slide/barrel. I also believe that the ejector is different for the 9mm.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    My first one...

image_zpspiejdyx4.jpg

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Curious as to how you don't need an HQL to own one after its finished? I am intrigued.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Curious as to how you don't need an HQL to own one after its finished? I am intrigued.

Because the HQL is only required for the purchase of a handgun, not ownership of a handgun. At no point in this process are you purchasing a handgun. You are purchasing a piece of metal, which you then make into a handgun by yourself at home, which is perfectly legal. You never purchased a handgun, thus no HQL is required.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Same way everyone that built a 9mm AR pistol without an HQL. If you manufacture your own, you don't need the HQL.

Jim Smith

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

When you finish an 80%, you are making a firearm for personal use. You are not required to get an HQL if you wish to make a firearm for personal use. Check federal law, specifically BAG 1934, GCA 1968, and FOPA 1985 (year?). You can even check the ATF website, it has the info on it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    When you finish an 80%, you are making a firearm for personal use. You are not required to get an HQL if you wish to make a firearm for personal use. Check federal law, specifically BAG 1934, GCA 1968, and FOPA 1985 (year?). You can even check the ATF website, it has the info on it.

You can be so helpful some times. ;)

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I believe it is the same frame/receiver, but some caliber specific parts in the slide/barrel. I also believe that the ejector is different for the 9mm.

Generally speaking, a .45 ACP 1911 will have a feed ramp in the frame as apposed to a ramped barrel. The 9mm 1911 use ramped barrels. Not sure what kind of modifications would need to be done on the inside of the frame in the feed ramp area.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would like to know more about the slide. There's some junk out there. Not saying this is junk, I'd just like to be sure. But at that price I guess you can't go too wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom