2015 camping thread - where are you going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    One of the many reasons I hope to have a son one day is so that I can "re-join" the Scouts. I'm an Eagle and Scouting was one of the best things I did as a kid. Nothing teaches self-reliance and personal discipline, and instills a sense of self-confidence and toughness better than that program. Every kid goes out on a backpacking or camping trip with a bad poncho or the wrong gear...once. Then never again. There is no better way to learn than by doing it wrong and obtaining the wisdom of experience. I think the program has some issues/weirdness sometimes, but overall it's a fantastic way (the only way?) to get kids outside learning about themselves and the outdoors.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Our very rustic cabin near Lake Ontario. Winter photo is from a trip this past February 2015. Wood stove only. No running water. No electricity. Outhouse out back. Four Bucks Camp, named for me and my 3 sons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 213

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    20150222_095742_zpsfw8x0fne.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

This is my hunt club cabin. Its in Bath County VA.

About 40 miles past is Lake Moomaw. Its a beautiful lake with no houses around its perimeter, only a few campgrounds. It has numerous trails, back country camping, clean water that's stocked with Steelhead!

Worth checking out!

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    If you're into backpacking I love Dolly Sods, WV in the Monongahela National Forest.
    I usually do 2 - 3 outings a year in varying seasons. (the new kid is making it difficult this year..)
    anyway its got lots of variety in terrain, and isn't too busy even in the summer.
    My favorite season there is the early fall. Lots of wild blueberries. :thumbsup:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I'm at Elk Neck with the scouts right now. What a beautiful day. Just put my boys to sleep and am enjoying some quiet time.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Wife is going to Africa for 2 weeks in July. I'm thinking about taking a couple days of vaca and hiking/camping in WV. I don't have anything planned other than that yet. I think it would be good for me to get some alone time without people or technology for a few days.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Just got back from Calvert Cliffs camp ground for Cub Scouts, Friday and Saturday night. It was fun. Looking forward to a few more this year. Learned about setting up at night (major traffic getting there due to an accident), making sure the rain cover doesn't touch the tent (good to fall asleep to). Overall, a good learning experience in group camping. Learned what you really need (TP), and what you don't.

Q

Where to go next....

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just got back from hiking the Duncan Knob Hollow trail in the GWNF. We decided to do the trail backwards for whatever reason... My out-of-shapeness prohibited me from reaching the peak, but otherwise I had a good time :thumbsup:

Workouts and dieting commence...

That last photo's a friend of mine who's a little too happy about that lighter fluid... The tent all the way to the left was mine. Sleeping under the moonlight was something else.

Last edited:
    Dec 31, 2012
    I'm still on track for a trip per month. Hiking and fishing at Susquehanna with good weather made for a nice weekend of family fun.

Get outside!

Dec 31, 2012
    Tuckahoe has a great arboretum and it was nice trip as long as we were away from the camp site. Apparently a few large groups of people near us thought the no alcohol signs were only a suggestion so they threw big boozy parties that lasted well past quiet hours. Having a beer by the fire is one of the parts of camping I enjoy and the rangers generally look the other way, but when it reaches the point that a half dozen state troopers arrive at midnight to break up your party then you might have gone a little too far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom