1903 USMC Just picked up! Picture Heavy!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey guys, very excited about this gem.

Picked up a very nice example of a USMC rebuild. Two very interesting features on this are the darker color parkerizing (usually you see a urine greenish parkerizing) and this sports a pre-war C SA C Stock (which beds better than any other 1903 I have).

The old adage "patience is a virtue" was true with this.

This particular rifle was sitting on gunbroker for several months with no bids. Just sitting dormant. The seller didn't take particularly great pictures but enough to show off it potentially being a great find.

The first problem is the seller took FOREVER to reply for responses. One response took almost 2 weeks for a response. It was miserable in that aspect. So I'd thought I'd throw out an offer. He didn't response then about 2 weeks later asked for my offer because he forgot what it was. I offered another offer slightly higher, he rejected but was willing to counter and I accepted. I looked at his feedback and most feedback was positive (virtually all) but some of the negative feedback was that he would take LONG amounts of time to respond. One feedback comment mentioned taking almost a month to ship. I asked if we could do a FTF, he said that was fine and drove down to Woodbridge, Viriginia (about 1.5-2 hours from my place) to do a transfer with my C and R.

Very nice guy showed me his collection and other things he was selling. Nice older gentleman and a Army Vet. He said he wanted to show me how to tell USMC field gear since Marine stuff commands such a premium. I asked him if he looked under the hand guard.

His reply was "you know, a lot of people were asking me about that. I haven't taken it a part but I bet they're looking for a star gauge to see if it's a National Match."

I left shortly after, took it a part and it was nicer when I get it home (his place had dim lighting so I couldn't really see.) and I found the vice marks.

I'm sorry for the long winded story behind it. But the point I was getting at. I can see that situations like this would get us fed up, throw up your hands and say "I'm done! I'm tapping out!" Which sometimes I have done.

But if you think there's a real gem to be had that's hidden. Stick it out as long as you can hang in there. Because when you get your prize, it's that much more satisfying.

That being said, I'm glad I got it. But I don't know if I would have the patience to go through this again!

Back to the rifle. It's a beautiful

The SRS numbers show it having "friends in good company" with documented USMC rifles.

other features: hatcher hole, stippled buttplate, darkened rear sights, Marine 10 sight hood (not Marine 10 sights), SA-42 barrel.

What do you think?

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    What do you think?

I think I hate you. ;)

No, not really...an amazing example of how patience can pay off. The "long game," indeed! Well played, sir...well played.

image.png

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    These are becoming an addiction. How many 1903s can you own until it costs you a divorce? Haha

Thanks guys I love these things.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    My grandfather went to the naval academy and was on their rifle team, he graduated in 1931, the year they won the national championship. He was a field music in the USMC before they, the USMC, sent him to Annapolis.

Really cool story. I just don't know how to track one down. I would contact John Beard. He would be your best bet for how to track one down.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm enjoying getting schooled on USMC 1903s recently. Never too old to learn something new! Thanks for the education and sharing your story and find with us. Well found!!

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm enjoying getting schooled on USMC 1903s recently. Never too old to learn something new! Thanks for the education and sharing your story and find with us. Well found!!

Thanks, I like sharing what I've picked up and how I looked for it (I don't want to share all my secrets, can't afford the competition haha) I try not to come off as a know-it-all. I'm constantly learning. But some wonderful people have been nice enough to offer their advice that has helped me tremendously so I'd like to do the same for others.

Thanks Mawkie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom