• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    The Democrats didn't get spontaneously concerned with the chump change going to this program. They've never met a new tax and spend program they didn't like.

I may have missed it but, this is the first reference to the UNHOLY amounts of taxpayers money that have been poured into this and a couple related programs elsewhere in MD. But, mainly the "main lab" (choke).

I see this as a potential peek into the oppositions playbook. That is, with a Governor who has declared no new taxes and, "We will find a way to live within our means and within our seams for the next 4 years AND we'll start THIS YEAR by bringing an end to inflating the budget year after year,"well, the "throw taxpayers dollars at every problem" libs in MD are scrambling to find "Peters" to rob, in order to pay for their "Pauls' (all the endless entitlement and 'community enhancement' programs they've promised their sheeple constituents).

It is an exaggeration but, I still gotta say it; if we could find a way to tie "Here's some dollars you can shift to fund all the 'community enhancement' and 'after school' programs you've promised" in the minds of these tax and spend nuts, gun control could possibly crumble like the Berlin Wall!

I wonder if it wou,d even be possible to "add up" how much of taxpayers dollars are used to prop up all the provisions of most of MD's gun control laws?

I remember the numbers involved in Canada's similar intrusions playing a major part in eventually "waking up" the masses in Canada, and demanding change.

EDIT: Too funny; Erwos, it appears I was still hunting and pecking as you submitted your post; and, Jim12, your point about rationality never entering into this before is valid. What I see as different now is the END (at least for the next 4 years) of their dream world where money just keeps growing on trees, year after year.

It always, "all about the money." My (our?) position being one based on principle (and the Constitution) it is easy for me to lose sight of my oppositions perspective which, again, is all about the money . . .

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Meanwhile, some political hay should be made over the fact that the Dems insisted that this ridiculous, money wasting scheme stay in effect as long as they did. How many millions were flushed down the drain over the life of the shell casing requirement?
    If you want the Democratic portion of the legislature to do more of this in the future, rubbing it in their faces isn't the way to do it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I realize people are paranoid, but it would truly be astonishing that after pulling out all the stops to get this through on the last day, that it would not be signed. I am going to stick my neck out and say this will get signed.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Understood completely. Let me clarify a little. I was referencing that the bill passed with a focus on budget, not gun rights. That's the part i was speaking about that i didn't care how it was passed.

Got the connection.:thumbsup:

But I still have my doubts and gotta go with Hollywood Ball's previous post awhile back or Bigfoot44's post quoted below; LANDSIDE VOTES on this topic at the last minute makes this look awfully suspicious to me, sorry MXrider and dblas, but i think there's more to it than meets the eye.

Blanket written testimony at both hearings against repealing the law.

Frosh can take his blanket written testimony and shove it up his and Vinnie's asses.

Let's get the brass from all the casings that 'infringed' on our rights, melt it down...

Then cast little Liberty Bell's (sell them to our friends and supporters), and next time we rally in Annapolis, we let our little Liberty bells ring!

That sounds like a good idea though we will need to reserve enough brass for a "REAL LIBERTY BELL" to be rung at Lawyer's Mall continually on 2A Tuesday 21 times per every anti-2A law on MD books. This bell would be huge and approximate the size of the ol' Liberty Bell that was located in Philadelphia when it was the Nation's Capitol. If the continual ringing of the new Liberty Bell should happen to shatter windows on the statehouse, then so be it. We will not go away and we shall be heard, we will not disappear into the darkness, but we will make our voices be heard whether the opposition wants to hear us or not.

Awesome idea!

I jus' made it awesomer.

Ok, I can readily believe that the Sponsering Senator didn't personally make any deals.

And I could be pleasantly surprised if the Bill had passed out of Committee before Crossover Day , and ultimately pass by a semi-normal margin. BUT ....

Going thru Rules Committee , having second and third readers on same day , and passing by unamious and near unamious votes doesn't happen accidently or spontainously.

Unamiois Votes don't happen without the nod of the Democratic Machine. Nor Rules Committee , nor expedited Floor Vote. If the Mike & Mike Club were simply acting in the best intrests of Maryland , SB736 would have cleared Committee before Crossover Day.

*Somthing* changed recently. It is obvious one party was the Dem Machine. Even if they acted independently , they at least had to be involved. The $64 questions which other party(s) were involved , and which horse(s) were traded.

I am not quite paranoid enough to assume it had to be a swap between pro 2A and anti 2A , but it had to be Somthing. Not directly related necessarily , but Somthing.

See my post #129.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I believe even without Hogan's signature, it becomes law by default. Hogan would need to formally exercise his veto on the matter.

Don't count your chickens and all, but we're clear on this one.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The interesting part is it was unanimously voted out of committee. Even dumais agreed to take her claws off that funding, hmmmmm.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If you want the Democratic portion of the legislature to do more of this in the future, rubbing it in their faces isn't the way to do it.

You think they did this as a favor to us because we are nice to them?

They only do this if they have to, or if there's something in it for them. They don't hesitate for even a nanosecond to mock, ridicule, shame, or embarrass the opposition at every opportunity in order to get their way. They are masters of politics and theatrics, with different people playing the roles of good cop, bad cop, court jester, victim, and every other role. Meanwhile, R's keep acting like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football for him to kick, promising, "This time I won't pull it away," then running up and landing on his a** when she does the same thing she always does.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nothing from the administration? What about traded by either Republican minority members (not that the Mikes care for them) or by MSI/NRA lobbying people?

As many of us have noted, bills don't normally move at this speed never mind pro 2A bills. In fact, I am confident in saying it has never happened since gun control took off under Gov. Schaefer.

The Democrats didn't get spontaneously concerned with the chump change going to this program. They've never met a new tax and spend program they didn't like.

Since I am the MSI lobbyist I can say without hesitation we did not bargain for anything, and we need have (even back in 2013). And I can say with 99% certainty that the NRA didn't bargain anything away either.

We got asked to keep this quiet so they could pass it as an economic bill and not a 2A bill, which would have upset the anti-2A crowd. Had any 2A attention been paid to the process as the bill moved, it would have been shelved and we would not be celebrating it's passing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    IIRC, when FSA2013 was being debated, this was offered as an amendment. As with all the amendments, the MGA was under orders from O'Mao to pass it without amendments. That led not just to Vallario's re-vote and quashing of an amendment that accidentally passed in his Committee, but also Dumais's robotic, rote opposition to this common sense one that she had no valid argument to make. It went down anyway under O'Mao orders, and I expect that a transcript of proceedings on the House floor will expose what a cooked "debate" and legislative sham it was.

This year, standing on its own without O'Mao to crack heads and the other guy on the Senate side, the monolithic front fractured.

This was a big part of it, but there was also a lot less spite for the bill from in past years.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You think they did this as a favor to us because we are nice to them?
    No. But it's not good politics to insult the guy who just gave you what you wanted, either.

We got asked to keep this quiet so they could pass it as an economic bill and not a 2A bill, which would have upset the anti-2A crowd. Had any 2A attention been paid to the process as the bill moved, it would have been shelved and we would not be celebrating it's passing.
    As I've said: making a lot of noise is not the same as making a lot of progress. Well played, Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom