?'n on building an AR Pistol and shooting it at a range in MD for testing and fun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faralon

Dec 17, 2013
    If a MD citizen were to build up an AR pistol from an 80% lower, would they be able to safely take the finished pistol to an outdoor public range to test it, and later have fun enjoying the rifle with family w/o having to worry about having it confiscated and/or other ramifications?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    w/o having to worry about having it confiscated and/or other ramifications?

In this state, nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. That's one reason I didn't go with the 80% receivers. I'm sure someone here will tell you what is legal and such, but I just don't trust the MSP if they were to show up at a range and start asking questions.

YMMV,
    Jim Smith

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If a MD citizen were to build up an AR pistol from an 80% lower, would they be able to safely take the finished pistol to an outdoor public range to test it, and later have fun enjoying the rifle with family w/o having to worry about having it confiscated and/or other ramifications?

No problem with building an AR pistol from an 80% lower. No problem taking it to the range to shoot and test.

If you convert it to a rifle, you need to make sure you meet the requirements for a legal rifle according to MD and Federal laws.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    In this state, nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. That's one reason I didn't go with the 80% receivers. I'm sure someone here will tell you what is legal and such, but I just don't trust the MSP if they were to show up at a range and start asking questions.

YMMV,
    Jim Smith

As stated I concur. Everything is legal and the question of whether is or not is only but too important when they bring you up on charges because of it.

The same has been whispered about 80% lowers and banned configurations. People say just STFU and build it. They aren't going to be with you in a court room.

Perspective changes when swat raids your house at 4 am and drags your family out on the front lawn as you cry but, I didn't do anything wrong.

Don't mistake my words. I fear and mistrust our government.

As the News Anchor pitches their evening headline,"Today in the small town of Eldersburg MD a man's house was raided, police say among other things the police found were many firearms and a collection of knives and a cache of several thousand rounds of ammo. Police became concerned when the man was reported by his concerned neighbor for an assault weapon style firearm they say he built but which lacked a federally mandated serial number on all firearms."

Now we all know its not the case and its sensationalized but this will be the story and I fear your neighbors and friends would all stand by shaking their heads like we didn't know he was a bad man.... In this day and age, if you don't believe there is danger in merely owning firearms I don't think you are paying attention.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    All of my AR's (save the MP 15-22) are built from self made lowers, take them to the range, to the farm, to an indoor range, no issues... as long as it is a legal configuration at the time you build it, you should have no issues.

Federal law says you can, state law does not say you can't, but keep it in a 'now legal' configuration if you are building it after SB281 was enacted (HBar for a rifle, or a pistol).

It is simple enough to add a serial # to the lower, if that is a concern. Most all of mine are serialized.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I understand how others feel that since it's Federally legal, and there's no standard placed by the state, that these firearms will not be a problem out on the range. However, lets look at 1 scenario. You're out at AGC shooting your personally made AR15. Someone comes up to you and asks to see your firearm and then shows you a badge. No serial number will at the very least get you looked at with much more scrutiny. But what if you do serialize your lower. Then the officer does a search and finds that this firearm hasn't been "registered". Same issue. You're going to be talking to a few officers in a very small room.

Then once they are talking to you, his partner is heading to a cop friendly judge who will be more than willing to give him a search warrant for your home. Then all hell will break loose.

I can see the police coming into my house, opening up my safes and then parading all of my firearms in front of any and all local and national news agencies. Now lets talk about my ammo. I couldn't imagine what light would be shined on me with the amount of ammo I have on hand.

You can say I'm a doomsdayer, but in this state anything is possible. Don't say it can't happen, because it will one day. One of us will be perfectly innocent, but our life and our family will be dragged through the mud.

Imagine your collection being broadcast on news channels all over the state and country.
    Jim Smith

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can err on the side of caution, no issues then, but.. the laws are pretty clear and there is no reason you can't finish an 80% lower and go shoot it.

If it comes to that, I will gladly be the one to take the case to court and argue the legality in front of a jury. There are currently no laws that prevent one in MD from finishing an 80% (or a raw forging, which I have done also) into a working lower receiver and then building it into a now legal configuration, period... ;)

I will then file suit against the state for making me take a couple days off work to pursue my innocence... :lol2::lol2:

See you at AGC real soon!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Honestly, in this wacked out state, I would be FAR more worried about those that have registered 'assault weapons' having to deal with future confiscation... you can argue scenarios, this one concerns me more than building a ghost gun.. ;)

Lougotagun

May 19, 2013
    Baltimore City

YMMV,
    Jim Smith

Has any law enforcement agency, including MSP ever showed up at a MD range and started asking questions in the past?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Has any law enforcement agency, including MSP ever showed up at a MD range and started asking questions in the past?

Yes, AGC in August of 1999. I had my oldest kid there as a return to school treat. AGC 2002 after a catastrophic failure injured a shooter while I was there. (BTW, that one was a nasty injury) They asked everyone for their ID and checked guns. The old indoor range in Hickory just before it closed. Officers were inside and outside asking questions and checking for the proper transporting of firearms. I don't believe they gave out any citations that day, just checking and being Sammy the Safety Guy.

It can happen.
    Jim Smith

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Is there any legal requirement to produce such information to asking officers in Maryland? Granted it's probably way more trouble than it could possibly be worth, but for arguments sake, what if you did not drive and have no ID and do not allow them to see your firearms?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Is there any legal requirement to produce such information to asking officers in Maryland? Granted it's probably way more trouble than it could possibly be worth, but for arguments sake, what if you did not drive and have no ID and do not allow them to see your firearms?

If you are not breaking the law, then there is no requirement to show ID or show them your weapons. You can use your 4th and 5th Amendment rights and ask if you are under arrest and ask if you are free to go.

Faralon

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. BTW, what and where is AGC? A? Gun Club?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Associated Gun Clubs of Maryland.

And association of gun clubs that have joined together to have a single nice range. You join an associated club, then pay an additional fee for use of the range.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I carry copies of important ATF docs with my 'questionable' AR's like pistols and similar 'firearms', but normally not a doc re the legality of building your own lower. I suppose I could add that to the doc pac in each gun case so I have docs to show anyone that may ask in an official capacity, but I doubt, unless I am doing something illegal with my weapon, that I will ever need to produce those docs to reassure the LEO that this is a legal weapon... ;)

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    If you are not breaking the law, then there is no requirement to show ID or show them your weapons. You can use your 4th and 5th Amendment rights and ask if you are under arrest and ask if you are free to go.

That worked great for this guy too

As I stated previously I fear and mistrust our government. Firearms are less then welcomed in this state. We all know that 80% lowers are legal. How much money do you have and would you risk all that you own to prove it to keep your ass out of jail? I don't like it but its their game and frequently they make the rules up as they go. Hell even owning a registered legal firearm is probable cause in this state. Its not hard to imagine that a state with such numerous restrictions on our rights would think that your firearms ownership is a threat and good show of cause.

Hell case and point, one of our members was pulled over for having an NRA sticker on his truck and then were asking to search his vehicle and examine his firearms. Thats ****ed up. This is the world we live in gentlemen. Don't kid yourself about the mockery this state and its agents make of your rights as a citizen. Many officers on these boards are quite respectful of our freedoms. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING ALL OFFICERS AGREE AS WE HAVE BUT A FEW OF THE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF LEO ACROSS OUR STATE.

I have said my peace, I shall say no more. Do as you feel is right. Chances are if you were fine with the thought you wouldn't be asking for public opinion.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I understand how others feel that since it's Federally legal, and there's no standard placed by the state, that these firearms will not be a problem out on the range. However, lets look at 1 scenario. You're out at AGC shooting your personally made AR15. Someone comes up to you and asks to see your firearm and then shows you a badge. No serial number will at the very least get you looked at with much more scrutiny. But what if you do serialize your lower. Then the officer does a search and finds that this firearm hasn't been "registered". Same issue. You're going to be talking to a few officers in a very small room.

Then once they are talking to you, his partner is heading to a cop friendly judge who will be more than willing to give him a search warrant for your home. Then all hell will break loose.

I can see the police coming into my house, opening up my safes and then parading all of my firearms in front of any and all local and national news agencies. Now lets talk about my ammo. I couldn't imagine what light would be shined on me with the amount of ammo I have on hand.

You can say I'm a doomsdayer, but in this state anything is possible. Don't say it can't happen, because it will one day. One of us will be perfectly innocent, but our life and our family will be dragged through the mud.

Imagine your collection being broadcast on news channels all over the state and country.
    Jim Smith

This is so far-fetched it isn't even funny. You can " suppose" all you want - this never happens.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That worked great for this guy too

As I stated previously I fear and mistrust our government. Firearms are less then welcomed in this state. We all know that 80% lowers are legal. How much money do you have and would you risk all that you own to prove it to keep your ass out of jail? I don't like it but its their game and frequently they make the rules up as they go. Hell even owning a registered legal firearm is probable cause in this state. Its not hard to imagine that a state with such numerous restrictions on our rights would think that your firearms ownership is a threat and good show of cause.

Hell case and point, one of our members was pulled over for having an NRA sticker on his truck and then were asking to search his vehicle and examine his firearms. Thats ****ed up. This is the world we live in gentlemen. Don't kid yourself about the mockery this state and its agents make of your rights as a citizen. Many officers on these boards are quite respectful of our freedoms. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING ALL OFFICERS AGREE AS WE HAVE BUT A FEW OF THE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF LEO ACROSS OUR STATE.

I have said my peace, I shall say no more. Do as you feel is right. Chances are if you were fine with the thought you wouldn't be asking for public opinion.

So some idiot doing OC gets arrested. I was referring to the fact that you do not have to show ID, nor show your firearms to a cop, just because they want to see them. If you invoke your rights, anything else that happens falls on the LEO, as long as you aren't breaking the law to begin with. They can play the game all they want, but they can't violate my rights.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So some idiot doing OC gets arrested. I was referring to the fact that you do not have to show ID, nor show your firearms to a cop, just because they want to see them. If you invoke your rights, anything else that happens falls on the LEO, as long as you aren't breaking the law to begin with. They can play the game all they want, but they can't violate my rights.

We are talking about Maryland aren't we? Our rights are being violated EVERYDAY. You live a sheltered life if you think this can't happen.

Jim Smith

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    JTFC.

Here's a thought. In the future when a member asks a question regarding the law - how about everyone that ISN'T a LAWYER just stfu - myself included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom