• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    We shoved off Broom's island a little (~2hrs) later than planned due to a somewhat boisterous evening prior to opening day. It turns out that it had no effect on the day's fishing. We trolled from ~9am until the sunset at approximately 7:30pm, covering the area south of the mouth of the Pax all the way to north of the power plant, and only got two fish on the deck. One was 38.5" and had to go back in the pond due to the new fishing regulations. The other was 35.5", and we could keep. The first was caught on a chartreuse umbrella rigged on a deadman, so it was probably 10-12' deep. The second was caught on a white tandem (planar rigged) at 10-bar.

Though we were way below the performance of years prior, from my understanding we did pretty well; most boats went home with an empty fish box, including many charters.

We went again yesterday (4/20) with similar results. Lines were in the water at 10am, western shore near Deale, and were pulled at ~6:30pm. We covered the Western shore from Thomas point to Chesapeake Beach, and the Eastern from south of Poplar to about the middle of Kent Is. We only had one bite, and we landed it - 41" in the box at the very end of the day. We pulled the lines and scrambled back to shore, getting to safety just before the big band of the thunderstorms came through.

All in all, this was the toughest opening-day/weekend fishing I've seen in the six years I've been going. I don't know if we're a week early, a week late, it was some combination of bad weather, or the fishing has dropped off.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I caught one Saturday on a white daisy chain longline. We quit the tandems due to all the winter jellies in order to shallow up our rigs. Only had one other pull-down all stinkin day. Fish was 40.25" and we kept it.

Last edited:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Went out opening from the Severn. Headed south to Chesapeake Beach area. Had lines in the water by 6:30, 14 rods all on boards. Had 2 knockdowns that never went tight first thing in the morning. Around 10:30 got a 37 on board but that of course went back. It hit a chartreuse tandem 16 ounces 6 bars back. It cooled off to absolutely nothing for several hours. We ran up to Hacketts in time for the incoming high tide. Ended up landing a 43 off of a white umbrella 7 bars back, 9 inch shad.

Think the fishing will pick up the end of this week into next. Water still needs to warm up couple degrees to optimum.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    knew that was coming

Attachments

• Opening day.jpg
      Opening day.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 421

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Some friends and I went Sat out of Solomons. We trolled north from the Gas pumps to the whatchacallit Island.
    & keepers on the boat. 5 under the slot and 2 over. The 2 overs were both just over 41"
    I got this one. 35.5"

Attachments

• ROCKFISH.jpg
      ROCKFISH.jpg
      87.9 KB · Views: 414

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Me=jelly.

Haven't been fishing in the longest time. Can't remember the last time I caught anything either...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Can anyone explain the rationale behind the limits to me ?

B​etween 28-36 inches or greater than 40 inches.

What is the magic of fish between 36.01 and 39.99 inch in length ?

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Went out on a charter boat sunday out of Deale. Caught three but could only keep 1. The other two were in between the ranges. From what I've heard, not many people were catching. The charter boat we were on said they didn't catch anything on Saturday.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    What they need to do is limit the Menhaden limits. Commercial guys are wiping them out. No bait/food = no fish

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What they need to do is limit the Menhaden limits. Commercial guys are wiping them out. No bait/food = no fish

Great point. When I was an itty-bitty, many moons ago, the bay was alive with bunker. The surface boiled with them. Now? Not so.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom