• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Any place in PA have school taxes that aren't outrageous? I was looking at places to move to when I retire that are a reasonable commute to Central Maryland (my siblings still live here as well as many friend). When looking at houses in PA, it looks like the school taxes can pretty often add up to most of the cost of a mortgage.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    It is similar to MD but just broken up in to two taxes(school & real estate) while MD just makes it all one. They aren't that much different in taxes compared to some counties in MD. I have properties in Dallastown Area school district and it is a highly well rated district. Taxes total aren't bad at all.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It is similar to MD but just broken up in to two taxes(school & real estate) while MD just makes it all one. They aren't that much different in taxes compared to some counties in MD. I have properties in Dallastown Area school district and it is a highly well rated district. Taxes total aren't bad at all.

Yep

The combined taxes are about the same between MD and PA

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Yep

The combined taxes are about the same between MD and PA

Not so fast there.....

Chester County is nowhere NEAR the same as the MD county it borders.

My taxes are just under $4K a year here, same house 10 miles north of here is closer to $7K. I know people who are paying $13K a year in West Grove (Avon Grove School district).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not so fast there.....

My taxes are just under $4K a year here, same house 10 miles north of here is closer to $7K. I know people who are paying $13K a year in West Grove (Avon Grove School district).

I pay about the same in combined property taxes for each of my homes :shrug:

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Not so fast there.....

Every school district is different just like every county in MD. Try to compare PG to AA and thats why I live in Anne Arundel. Plus PA has lower income tax and doesn't tax retirement another added bonus. Don't get started on their firearm benfits over us.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its PA school taxes will always be super high and they are determined on the district township level so they can go up (many times over when a small district wants to build a new school and its spread over a small number of residents).

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I pay about 4.5 times as much here as in the house in Md. :sad20: True the house is worth about 3 times more BUT the schools here have overkill for the students. :sad20: Equestrian Club................. :rolleyes: Yeah, that's why they're so high.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I have a friend in Shrewsbury off I-83 who reportedly pays $500 / mo in school tax.

I've heard some people on fixed income get really jammed by increases in some juristictions.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I did a little spot check in the York area and also near Lancaster and saw quite a few houses with school taxes in the 5k - 7k range on a 250k - 300k house. My 300k+ assesed house in AA County is only $2700...garbage collectiojn fee included. Granted, some I've looked at actually look nicer than my 300k house, but those taxes significantly offset income tax savings. I have, however, been told it can vary widely from one area to the next...so I thought I'd just throw this out there and see what would pop up. reddobie (or others...feel free to chime in...), I presume you are saying they don't tax pensions (I'm a couple years away from SS)?

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    Its PA school taxes will always be super high and they are determined on the district township level so they can go up (many times over when a small district wants to build a new school and its spread over a small number of residents).

I have owned one specific property since 1994 and the taxes have gone up marginally over the years. My other properties I have had for over 10 years and taxes have gone up very little also. I would move back to PA in a heartbeat and have a nicer house for a lot less money, but the wife works in DC.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I pay about the same in combined property taxes for each of my homes :shrug:
    Which one is in Chester County?

I could compare a tax bill for something in rural Lancaster County to something in Kent County MD, schools are probably equally as shitty too.

Saying (with a broad stroke) that PA taxes are very similar to MD is misleading. Most of SEPA has a property/school tax bill that closely resembles NJ.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have owned one specific property since 1994 and the taxes have gone up marginally over the years. My other properties I have had for over 10 years and taxes have gone up very little also. I would move back to PA in a heartbeat and have a nicer house for a lot less money, but the wife works in DC.

As noted varies by district. I pay less for my Moco taxes than my parents do for their hillbilly house. Still worth it for some freedom at least until Philadelphia takes over.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The taxes are complicated, you basically have to look at a lot of factors to see where the difference is. Cost of living up here is cheaper, cheaper utility rates, lower income tax, lower cost for comparable houses, lower cost of tiling/registration for vehicles. Annual vehicle inspections, split property/school tax combines to be a little higher, annoying $15 per yr capita and occupation taxes, large difference in school/property tax rates and water/sewer/trash by locality. In the end for us it's a lot cheaper, enough to get a decent house on 1/4 acre vs a smaller townhouse most places in MD.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Any place in PA have school taxes that aren't outrageous? I was looking at places to move to when I retire that are a reasonable commute to Central Maryland (my siblings still live here as well as many friend). When looking at houses in PA, it looks like the school taxes can pretty often add up to most of the cost of a mortgage.

Yes, there is a huge difference between Hanover borough and SW school district.

You can shop around houses in school districts by their tax rate.

We looked at this too and since we don't have kids we personally don't care about the school tax rate. The only thing we would care about is how it would affect the value of our house. A house in a higher tax rate district will have nicer school and demand a better price from a buyer that has school-aged kids.

It's a calculation, either you pay it up front or when you sell your house.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    If you are looking to save on property/school taxes as compared to Maryland, move to Delaware, not to PA. PA has lower income taxes but you can get hit hard on property taxes. DE property taxes, from what I have seen, are substantially lower than Maryland. Only downside is having to live in Delaware :D

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Good luck in PA.

I was listening to a Lancaster area station while on the road yesterday and I heard news about some politician, recently elected on his platform of not increasing taxes, and he was propsing an increase on income and sales tax...claiming it was to avoid an increase in property tax. :sad20:

Because spending the same as before or less is never an option. Shake the money tree.

OrangeSpear

NRA Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Owings Mills
    I pay about the same in taxes for my MD house and my PA house. The difference is my MD house is a townhouse and my PA house is an 80 acre farm.
    And gun laws are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom