• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    They are 1075 which from my experience is an excellent steel for this type of knife that can really take abuse and hold an edge. He's also active duty army and only does this as a hobby so that is likely a big part of the pricing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    But he's giving them away. I dare anyone to find a comparable knife for that kind of money. The 2 knives that I saw in this thread are every bit of $300 or more.

I will have to visit his web page to see what he has for sale. Yesterday was my birthday and that would make a great B-Day present to myself.

Jim Smith

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    I agree. I think that's part of why I'm telling everyone about them. To include the kydex and the teklock makes it an even bigger deal. The one that I won, I have really put through the ringer and it still looks new. I think he's out of just about everything right now, but if you look on page two of this thread you cam see the batch he's finishing right now.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Damn USPS. Requires a signature. I'll have to pick it up in the morning.
    Totally excited.
    He has nothing for sale now.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    He told me mine would be here tomorrow. Then the test begin. I'm doing a backpacking trip up to voyageurs national park this fall and want something heavy duty. I have no doubts this will hold up.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Pretty bad ass! No way in the world will this knife ever break considering how thick it is. It has to be almost 3/4 inch of steel at the handle.I have to get it on a scale too. Heaviest knife ever. A solid tool.
    Some would complain about ever slight imperfections, but that's the allure of this to me, how spartan and industrial it is. Just awesome.

Terrible pic.

Attachments

• 20150226_120938.jpg
      20150226_120938.jpg
      26.1 KB · Views: 317

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    I agree on the little imperfections being something that I like. Especially for the amount I paid for this, i don't think I would stress the little things. All that said, this thing is heavy duty. I don't know if i could break this one if i was trying. The only thing that I may do is take the handles off and skeletonize the blade underneath to reduce the weight. Although it already balances surprisingly well on the index finger.
    93f9867f-ee80-4618-aaf2-7cad4f9318a4.jpg

5d13da36-f81e-41f2-8768-f3729b453567.jpg

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Took some proper, non cell phone, pictures today for your viewing pleasure. It is hard to capture how awesome looking this thing is.
    SAM_0666_zps5mjssh5b.jpg

SAM_0677_zpsahk8h3v6.jpg

SAM_0704_zpsoocea0il.jpg

SAM_0675_zpsui2cpp8c.jpg

SAM_0668_zpsgjunq1x4.jpg

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    unfortunately not that will handle anything like this. Only my reloading scales. I have thought to remove the grips and skeletonize the blade underneath, but the weight really doesn't bother me for the camp work that I bought this knife for.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know about yours, but the blade is pretty sharp for being so thick. I know nothing about knives, but does a thicker blade make for a better or worse sharp?

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    Thickness is a bigger factor in durability than in sharpness. Sharpness is going to be determined by steel type, grind type, and the grind angle. Mine is called a chisel grind where it is left flat on one side then ground on the other. Yours I believe, was a semi hollow grind which will lead to a very sharp knife. The thicker blade will allow more steel to stay behind the edge of blade and will help prevent chipping or breaking, and also give you plenty of material to work with to keep it sharp over the years. 1075 is a great steel as far as sharpening, and holding an edge.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    He has 2 more for sale on his web page. Good looking knives and only $150 each shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom