• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Update: I tested out the Sitka Incinerator Bibs/Jacket/Hat combo last night. The temperature was 6 F with 20 mph sustained winds. I sat still in a chair, as if I was in a tree stand, for 25 minutes and did not feel cold at all, other than the tops of my cheeks/eyelids. I wore merino wool thermals and a mid-weight LL Bean sweater under it. If I'd had my shemagh scarf to protect my cheeks, I would have been all set. I won't be able to give it a real field test until next season, but for now it seems this really is top of the line stuff. Importantly, it's comfortable and the pants don't make the hated "swish swish" sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fr5ByQo5TI
    "Let's say it comes down to me and another guy, his pants are quiet and mine are swooshing all over the place!"

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Nobody else wears fur hats?

Or cotton. Do yourself a favor and ditch it for merino wool. In the rare instance you are one who itches put a cotton tee underneath. Or better yet, polypropylene under the wool. Ditching cotton was the best thing I ever did as far as cold weather.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Or cotton. Do yourself a favor and ditch it for merino wool. In the rare instance you are one who itches put a cotton tee underneath. Or better yet, polypropylene under the wool. Ditching cotton was the best thing I ever did as far as cold weather.

Cotton kills

Seriously, cotton retains moisture, making the wearer more susceptible to hypothermia.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

^^^This. Cotton has no place in cold weather.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    I have a Sitka Jacket and Bibs that I bought used. They are very warm and a well thought out pocket locations. I don't like the outer fleece the jacket is made from.

A couple of things that might help you out even more. Get boots that fit heavier socks and/or the arctic shield boot blanket. Tight shoes and lack of circulation is a cause for cold toes. Throw some hand warmer in the boot blanket and you'll never get cold feet again.

Second, I have a lightweight down jacket (800+ fill weight Kuiu) that I compress and put in my pack no matter what I'm wearing. If it gets the least bit chilly, out it comes and I'm instantly warm. I might even start with it on (once in my stand) for really cold days. Weighs and packs down to nothing. Just remember to unpack it after the hunt to keep the loft.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the tips. What kind of down jacket do you have exactly? Which Sitka jacket/bibs combo do you have? I picked up a set of Stratus bibs off of ebay last week, so I've now got the full incinerator set for very cold days, and the Fanatic Jacket + Stratus bibs for somewhat cold days, or just Fanatic jacket with regular pants for 40 degree type days.

I've got a down vest that I carry often for this exact purpose--it weighs nothing, packs into a tiny pillow and makes a huge warmth difference. I got it from Costco for $25.

Mike128

Feb 28, 2007
    Kuiu pullover is what I have. It's a company started by one of the Sitka gear founders after Gore bought them. Good stuff but not really for tree stand hunting. More for western mountain hunts.

I have the Sitka fanatic set and a stratus jacket. It's a great time to buy the forest camo with the new style coming out; half off.

I actually want the incinerator bibs instead of fanatic. I bought the straus jacket new and haven't even worn it. I can't sell them for any decent money because they are the old pattern. The incinerator is still too expensive without selling my gear. Oh well, it's still quality stuff. You should be set for cold weather with what you have.

The only reason the current forest camo is being replaced is it looks horrible to human eyes. The deer don't seem to mind.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My problem are my feet.

I put the Heaty things in my boots.

And my toes were still freezing.

Make sure to wear wool or wool blend sox and you also want roomy(air pockets) boots. I prefer rubber lowers at least but, I usually wear full rubber hunting boots for scent control. If you have a long walk to your stand, try not putting toe heaters on till you get there so as not to work up a good sweat in your boots.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I haven't been following this thread but did see a few comments about cold feet. I wear Muck Boots available at most TSC's with good wool socks in 2' of snow for hours and my feet never got cold. The uppers are made of neoprene like used in wetsuits. I roll down the upper and put my pants leg in it then roll the upper up and it seals in the heat from my leg and feet. Never have had cold feet in the 10 years I have used them like this.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't been following this thread but did see a few comments about cold feet. I wear Muck Boots available at most TSC's with good wool socks in 2' of snow for hours and my feet never got cold. The uppers are made of neoprene like used in wetsuits. I roll down the upper and put my pants leg in it then roll the upper up and it seals in the heat from my leg and feet. Never have had cold feet in the 10 years I have used them like this.

Lucky you (no sarcasm meant). I wear wool socks year round. Light and heavy. But I can take the cold longer than a lot of my buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom