• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Send a check. I'd stay out of Town Halls while CCW, I suppose. I don't know if MD law supercedes the town ordinance regarding CCW; while you presumably can carry while performing activities related to your business - I'm guessing your permit is restricted in that regard - wandering around in govt buildings while armed might be looked on with disfavor.

IANAL, of course, so I don't know. Why not check with the local Chief of Police and get his take on it?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Certain old laws enacted by towns and counties before the state preempted them can still stand. That's why the date matters. If the law went in after the state preempted most firearms laws, it may be no good.

IANAL however.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Certain old laws enacted by towns and counties before the state preempted them can still stand. That's why the date matters. If the law went in after the state preempted most firearms laws, it may be no good.

IANAL however.

Interesting. I thought state preemption was state preemption regardles of the date. Is this grandfather policy codified in state law or case law? Lots of laws still stand because nobody has bothered challenging them.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Interesting. I thought state preemption was state preemption regardles of the date. Is this grandfather policy codified in state law or case law? Lots of laws still stand because nobody has bothered challenging them.

I suspect its in COMAR where the state made the pre-emption, grandfathering the existing restrictions.

Several localities did try making post-pre-emption restrictions and the new restrictions were overturned - so, it has been challenged and upheld. So, to answer your question, both.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Followed up on this a long time ago but forgot to update. Chief of Police said if you are legal to carry in Maryland, you are legal to carry in the town. I check with Charles Street Medical Center (Civista/Physicians Memorial) and they do not have a do not carry policy but prefer LEO to lock their guns up in lockers they have as a courtesy. Good luck with that one was my thought but guy was nice enough about it. He said if you are CCW'ing, how would he know any way (kind of said it like "hint hint").

FYI if you have to go into something like that and no one can tell.........don't lock it up in their lockers. We are 100% advised not to do that unless it's a MPD Facility. I don't even like doing it outside of the prison in their "mailbox" when I have to go in for a parole hearing but since I am mandated to be there MPD covers me. If I walked into a hospital/bar/business/or a freaking museum I would walk out if they told me to lock it up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I suspect its in COMAR where the state made the pre-emption, grandfathering the existing restrictions.

No they did not. The state preemption is the result of the MoCo and Annapolis bans on selling ammunition. So those regs pre-dated the preemption, and were preempted. Still on the books, but cannot be enforced due to state law.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I'm going to have a friend call the Chief for me on Monday (Don't want to call myself and get on any more lists). More a "wondering" question than anything. Our town Hall has a lot of events (4th of July today was waterelon bash) so was just kind of on my mind..

Yes, my permit is restricted business to home/home to business/while conducting business transactions.

Are you the business owner? When I spoke to MSP about mine, as the owner you are always conducting business if you are carrying any business cash or checks.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    No they did not. The state preemption is the result of the MoCo and Annapolis bans on selling ammunition. So those regs pre-dated the preemption, and were preempted. Still on the books, but cannot be enforced due to state law.

So what would be the formal process of getting the La Plata regulation formally rescinded, short of being arrested? Letter to City Council? town Attorney General/Prosecutor?

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Law doesn't have to be rescinded. It cannot be enforced due to state preemption.

Same with MoCo and Annapolis ammunition laws, they are still on teh books, they just don't mean anything.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I Understand, and since I have no legal background, I take your statement as correct. It's just disturbing that a local zealous prosecutor or LEO could read the existing town statute and choose to start enforcing it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    And end up sued for false arrest. :)

Are you certain they wouldn't be covered for false arrest under the fact that they arrested under a statute of their employer?

Seems to me all the citizen could hope for is the judge to throw the case out under the premise that no viable law was broken; maybe recover provable loses, lost wages, attorney's fees etc

This is a good question for a lawyer ... would there be any recourse against the arresting officer and city prosecutor when a law passed by a local jurisdiction is moot?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Law has been preempted. So the law is not enforceable by State law.

OldLawman

Oct 18, 2011
    Catonsville
    I understand the question and the concern, but let me ask one in return as a practical matter: If you are concealed, and do it correctly, how would they ever know ? Is there a metal detector at these locations ? I hold an unrestricted permit in MD, and have done so for the past 18 years. Before that I was a full-time LEO in MD and two other states, and carried all the time. Not once in all those years was I ever "made" or approached by another LEO and asked if I was carrying. Choosing the right gun and method of concealment is an important part of the process (too small may be worthless; too large difficult to conceal). Or just don't go into any place you think has a restriction. Don't look like you need some extra attention, and go about your business.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I do not have a MD CCW and have no good and substantial to qualify, so this is more of an academic exercise for me. It's just disturbing, when I watch youtube videos of LEOS, who are used to the people they encounter being 1.) criminals and 2.) sheep making up laws on the spot because they either don't understand the law fully or have become used to everybody they encounter complying with their "requests". Unfortunately that places me as a law abiding citizen in the position of having to become an expert in local law and challenge their statements, something i was NOT raised to do. I have first person encounters with LEOS on average once every 10 years.

OldLawman

Oct 18, 2011
    Catonsville
    I wasn't mocking you or your question - just wondering if we worry about it too much. Not sure what could go wrong. Conceal properly, don't attack undue attention to yourself, and nothing happens. The sound of a tree falling in the forest when no one is there to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom