• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Searched multiple times and found reference but nothing concrete.Quick back story;

Honorable discharge from Army (IIRC,after 15 yrs.) then worked for state DOC until a back injury.Never denied on 4473.Wanted to buy a Glock and not sure what the whole conversation was,but I assume about HQL and training/exemption and was told by store employee that having PTSD would cause a denial.

This is not about me but a friend.I won't name the store (not an IP).Any input or link is appreciated.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No. It is not.

No mental illness is a disqualifier in and of itself. What matters is whether you have been in a mental institution for more than 30 days, or whether you have been committed (involuntarily).

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    So if you put that you are being treated for a mental illness, you will not be disqualified for a "not disapproved" stamp? Or will this cause additional time and interviews with your psychiatrists, etc which may result in a disqualification?

I know people that are being treated that I do not want "not disapproved" to own a firearm I have to believe if you answer the form honestly about mental issues that this will hold up if not disqualify your application.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So if you put that you are being treated for a mental illness, you will not be disqualified for a "not disapproved" stamp? Or will this cause additional time and interviews with your psychiatrists, etc which may result in a disqualification?

I know people that are being treated that I do not want "not disapproved" to own a firearm I have to believe if you answer the form honestly about mental issues that this will hold up if not disqualify your application.

No. The only things that will disqualify you are being voluntarily admitted for > 30 days or being committed. A mental disorder is not a problem unless there is a history of violence.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I concur it does not disqualify. I just wanted to remind everyone that a MD state senator made the argument on the senate floor against a carve out for veterans of some provision of SB281, in a blanket statement that veterans have PTSD and alluding that veterans should not have firearms. I believe that that senator was Delores Kelley of district 10.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I concur it does not disqualify. I just wanted to remind everyone that a MD state senator made the argument on the senate floor against a carve out for veterans of some provision of SB281, in a blanket statement that veterans have PTSD and alluding that veterans should not have firearms. I believe that that senator was Delores Kelley of district 10.
    Not only is that bad for business, it brings up a rash of Constitutional issues. Blissful ignorance....

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp

Is she the one that also said it was too expensive to keep violent criminals in jail for their full sentence?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

My recollection is that "being treated for a mental illness" is something more than seeing a shrink and taking prescription meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Bottom line is, have you friend read the questions on the paperwork and fill it out honestly. If you are in doubt about the maryland definitions of any terms, seek competent legal advice about your particular situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom