• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    I wish I could find some. Parts kits are available, but we can't build them for sale in state. We may have to look into importing them. I have a supply for VEPRs, Saigas, & Zastava M77s though, if anyone is interested.
    If you'd do a vepr in 7.62x54r, I'd be seeing you real soon.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    It's an AK derivative with the same operating system, just in a bigger caliber with a longer barrel. So I would guess no.

Last edited:

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    Some dealers were selling them over the counter. During an audit the ATF noticed these AR's going to MD residents and called up MSP, which went around to the owners. Thing is, the way I heard it, they made them fill out 77R's but let them keep the rifles, which doesn't seem to make any sense. Anyway, I believe there is a thread on it somewhere; I might not have all the details correct.

Yeah I searched the site but I couldn't find anything. I hope not ive been thinking about a ruger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Reference MSP Bulletin 96-1. To the best of my understanding, if a firearm remains in the "sporting" configuration in which it was imported, it is legal and cash and carry, not formerly regulated/now banned. The bulletin references the old SA93 as an example. Following that lead, I say the PSL and VEPRs are good to go. I still sell Saiga 7.62x39 rifles in their unmodified form.

I will take a PSL. :)

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Does the just released MSP LD-FRS-Bulletin-14-001 have any effect on the VEPR SDV and as an extension the VEPR Draganov style rifles from Atlantic and whether this helps clear up if they are MD Banned or MD OK?

Maybe they need to be submitted for review to MSP?

Prior to this post I have had my eye on both of these VEPRs and given that I am not ready to commit to a purchase of either yet, I just had the cursory thought that that these rifles might still be legal and was disappointed at Atlantic's response to RRHEMI which he posted here.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Someone needs to push MSP to add it explicitely yes or know on their new list.

That said, they have used some interesting logic (sometimes in gunowners favor/sometimes not) in creating that list.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    I know this post was about the VEPR SVD but I also took a cue from the governments and added a Rider the VEPR Dragunov Style as it looks like it has similarity with the SVD as to whether it would now meet the full requirements as outlined in the New Bulletin.

I would like to see both Rifles be submitted on the MSP form form for direct clarification.

I do know that I couldn't do it. They are looking for info like schematics and with some of the questions , I recognize my fault to be wordy and hard to understand.

I Did email Atlantic and asked them if the new Bulletin in their opinion changed their stance, I will see.

I will also say this new submission form for MSP Evaluation I am holding judgement on.

Anyone can do it. It requires personal information and it also wants some detailed technical info and some assumptions made by the submitter and anyone can do it.

So my worries that if the first submitter does a bad job, how bad does that ruin it for everyone. I see it opening up a huge can of worms.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    We will be glad to sell any item to a Maryland customer but you the customer need to make sure your transfer dealer will accept and transfer the item. We have a wide selection of Veprs and Saiga rifles , I might add many thanks to the Crew @ Duffys for taking the time to test the waters and be the new trend setters !!

FBcover.jpg

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    We will be glad to sell any item to a Maryland customer but you the customer need to make sure your transfer dealer will accept and transfer the item. We have a wide selection of Veprs and Saiga rifles , I might add many thanks to the Crew @ Duffys for taking the time to test the waters and be the new trend setters !!

FBcover.jpg

Thank you Atlantic for being on top of this and responding.

I looked for a response from you guys in my Email and saw none right before I did my last post. loo and behold after doing that post and another one on the Bulletin thread I came back to my E-mail and this thread and seen that I jumped the gun by minutes with you guys.

But great going and hopefully this is a positive step forward for Marylanders and also also some pressure off of the dealers.

Since you posted here my reiterating what you responded to me by Email is now moot.

Also now that this has changed I now have to fight off urge to run out and buy one immediately just because now I can. :facepalm:

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    Doesn't really matter any more since Obama did a back door gun grab and banned the importation of anything made or anything that has to do with Kalashnikov Concern ( which includes SAIGA and VEPR ). Glad I got my VEPR 223 when I did. Still its a real bummer. They make amazing rifles and they will be sorely missed. It is only an executive order sanction against Russia, hopefully one day it will be overturned.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Thanks to all that answered to the question whether vepr 54r is legal or not, but just heard too much from other local gun stores that is technically not legal. Just don't want take that chance till there a 100% clear cut that is legal. As a fan of the vepr, I am pretty sure that I am not the only one hesitate to own one due to this vague and non sense law. Just got my self a vz2008 because I was able to see on the msp site stated "not banned" and all my local gun stores agree that is legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom