• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Installed Apex polymer triggers to both of mine.

imagejpg1_zps4877b2b6.jpg

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Nice!!

I"m a huge fan of the Apex DCAEK, and RAM, the difference it has made is amazing.

You running the kit and RAM too?
    No "kit" in either. Both have the polymer trigger and USB. The full size has the Apex hard sear and the compact has the RAM as it's an older model. Fwiw, the RAM was disappointing. The newer full size with no RAM still has a much better reset than the older compact with the RAM.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    No "kit" in either. Both have the polymer trigger and USB. The full size has the Apex hard sear and the compact has the RAM as it's an older model. Fwiw, the RAM was disappointing. The newer full size with no RAM still has a much better reset than the older compact with the RAM.

I had some funky machining markings on the inside of the slide, so I contacted S&W about it, and the "2 stage" grittiness in the trigger (it was bad).

They had me send in the entire pistol. They sent it back to me with a brand new slide with no chewed up machining markings, and a much better trigger, sort of.....

They totally fixed the grittiness, but literally left me with ZERO reset. I mean it was less existent than before, it was GONE.

So for me, the RAM was a massive improvement. I was ready to sell the gun (if even possible) because I wasn't about to send it back to S&W AGAIN over the non existent reset.

Now I have a crisp, super smooth, light (DCAEK), profound reset and am super happy with it, finally...

Last edited:

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    how's accuracy and reliability on everyone's M&Ps?

Any rust issues since the change in processing temperature for the melonite?

mine doesn't sit for any extended period so I'm not sure on rust as I'm cleaning mine regularly. No problems so far.

A+, no malfunctions of any kind. Very accurate, especially after trigger work and adding a reset to work with. :rolleyes:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    5" Pro9 bought new. Indifferent accuracy (won't hold 4"@15 yards) and grossly misregulated sights on mine. S&W basically told me they wouldn't help. Called Novak's for a black front to regulate it, the tech said it was a gun problem, I told him I called S&W about it and they blew me off. He said figures they were having problems with it. Trigger was very heavy and atrocious.

But, got trigger decent without buying parts (smooth about 5 pounds) and it tracks very well from shot to shot. I have improved accuracy some buts still a 10 yard gun.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    5" Pro9 bought new. Indifferent accuracy (won't hold 4"@15 yards) and grossly misregulated sights on mine. S&W basically told me they wouldn't help. Called Novak's for a black front to regulate it, the tech said it was a gun problem, I told him I called S&W about it and they blew me off. He said figures they were having problems with it. Trigger was very heavy and atrocious.

But, got trigger decent without buying parts (smooth about 5 pounds) and it tracks very well from shot to shot. I have improved accuracy some buts still a 10 yard gun.

that was the problem with mine, I later attributed it in part to wrong rifling pitch.

It was one of the early ones, no rust, but the slide cracked twice, and when the pistol was in battery the barrel could be wiggled about a mm to either side, so much so that it rattled a bit if shaken.

This was when smith QC was at it's worst.

I have since gotten great products from them in the form of my M&P-10 .308

But I have been wondering if anyone has one that shoots really well.

I'd love to have a melonited gun, but there were just too many problems, and after I found out about the rust issue I've steered clear of them, even if they do seem really cool.

I just keep seeing people who are getting crap accuracy out of them, and I was wondering if this has been corrected, and if so, past what date?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    From what I understand it is mostly the 9mm's with the issues. I hear the 40 and 45 M&P shooters are okay with their guns. I know Smith is on their third barrel design with this pistol. The striker and recoil spring seem imbalanced on my 9. Gun empty or with a dummy round, pull the trigger the slide moves forward. The striker spring is holding the slide back. There is a lack of barrel dwell time also. Pull the slide back slowly and warpath how little travel the slide makes before the barrel dropping.

Too bad, I like the way the pistol handles and its utterly reliable,,, at least with the ammo I've used so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom