• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Mailman just brought this. It's a 1963 Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag. I've always wanted an SAA type handgun, but then SB281 and October 1st happened. I won it on Gunbroker last Thursday, so it arrived very quickly. It has some holster wear and has been shot some, but no abuse. It does not have that annoying transfer bar safety, so the action is very smooth.

P1010002_zpscb34c2fb.jpg

I can't wait to shoot it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Darn, after shooting my friends Cowboy action shooting Ruger Vaquero in 357 with cowboy loads last week, I see one of these on my C&R bucket list. How's the trigger pull? Did they have it lightened up?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I actually found this Gunbroker listing with only five hours to go. I threw my bid in and watched it for the last half hour, but no one outbid me. The BIN was $475, and I was willing to go all the way to that.

Darn, after shooting my friends Cowboy action shooting Ruger Vaquero in 357 with cowboy loads last week, I see one of these on my C&R bucket list. How's the trigger pull? Did they have it lightened up?

Trigger pull is light and it breaks clean. The seller said that he bought a bunch of these old models when Ruger started putting transfer bar safeties in them in the 70's. Supposedly, the actions are smoother and the triggers are better on these three screw, no transfer bar retrofit ones.

There are a few C&R Blackhawks on Gunbroker. The prices seem to range from $300-450 for the .357 ones. The .44 Mag ones are a bit more rare in C&R and seem to cost around $500+.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    That is awesome...congrats! This may very well prompt me to get my C&R license. Let us know how she shoots.

BTW, I assume you are already aware about loading five to be safe.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks everyone. I'll try to come back with a range report. I have some Trail Boss handloads of different powder charges to test for accuracy.

That is awesome...congrats! This may very well prompt me to get my C&R license. Let us know how she shoots.

BTW, I assume you are already aware about loading five to be safe.

Yep, load one, skip one, load four. Though there's like a quarter click position on the hammer, where you can bring it back like a quarter inch to take the hammer off the firing pin. In that position, the cylinder bolt is still locked and the trigger is locked. It should be as safe to carry it that way as a rebounding hammer double action. Either way, I'll load/carry with five since that's how I was taught to shoot single actions.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Anyone have any suggestions for a low priced open top holster? It's just for rural/woods carry, so doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom